The 2013 Season

I read in autosport last week tinkering with the idea of a play off style shoot out between the top 6 drivers or something like they do with Nascar to spice things up

I hope that doesn't happen. I'd rather have a situation where a driver has it locked up early than turn it into a circus like NASCAR has.

If you think about it, Vettel has lost quite a few absolute certs through no fault of his own - Australia 2010, Bahrain 2010, Korea 2010, Brazil 2011 ;), Europe 2012, Britain 2013. And maybe even Abu Dhabi 2011!

Alonso and Vettel interestingly enough made the most mistakes out of the title contenders in 2010, so not sure how you can come to that conclusion.

Kubica was immense that year, seemed faultless, his retirements were out of his control aswell.

Kubica and Rosberg their best season in 2010.

Last edited:
Slyboogy

Thanks for pointing it out - Alonso's errors seems to be crashing at Monaco practice, jumping the start in China and the illegal pass on grass on Kubica now

But he was immense from Monza until the last round

KUbica put the Renault as it was where it should not have been

Rosberg was only really up there for probably the first half of the season but then the team fell away plus he had some bizarre retirements with two incidences of loose wheel and hitting Schumacher last race

Button was good but did not stand out except for his two wins and 2nd places at Monza to be fair

Webber - he was good mid season that year but could not sustain it

Hamilton - was certainly perfomed better than Button that year but was let down by the car but did make some costly errors at the critical time of the championship

I definitely would not have said Vettel was No 1 in 2010

I read in autosport last week tinkering with the idea of a play off style shoot out between the top 6 drivers or something like they do with Nascar to spice things up

I hope not, as much as I'm a NASCAR fan and that the Chase has improved championship battles over there, the last thing I would want would be a similar system implemented in F1

Vettel was emphatically the best in 2010. He lost 63 points from winning positions across three races. He lost a further 10 at Budapest because Red Bull forgot the rules when trying to be clever. He was consistent when he wasn't winning.

His team-mate failed to take advantage of such failings due to his amateur hour tendencies. Alonso's chance was gifted to him in Korean rain. McLaren weren't competitive - Turkey was a gift!

Am I alone in finding a number of striking similarities between this season and 2009?

Red Bull and Brawn cum-Mercedes dominating the pace-stakes while powerhouses Ferrari and McLaren have cars that seem more willing to move sideways as opposed to forward?

the tyre swapping ban has hurt Ferrari, Lotus and Force India more than other teams and Red Bull have benefited most from the ban

that has summed up second half of the season as Vettel is boring everyone to death and is obviously the villain of F1 at the moment

Season over pretty much, Red Bull have the championships sewn up, now Alonso is comfortable in second in the standings as well, the only real battle at the top is the Hamilton/Raikkonen/Webber fight for third place

Back
Top Bottom