Grand Prix 2024 Spanish, Austrian, and British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

This weekend see the start of a "triple header" of F1 races, starting at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, in Spain, then on to the Red Bull Ring, for the Austrian Grand Prix on 30th June, and ending at Silverstone, for the British Grand Prix, on the 7th July. This will test the stamina of the team personnel, especially if we have a repeat of the start to the Austrian GP in 1987, where it took the grid three goes to make it past the first corner.

The third restart was nearly two hours after the race was supposed to start. You can imagine nowadays that the TV companies would be briefing their legal team, ready to sue the drivers for interrupting their schedule.

Spain is not usually too exciting, but let's not put the cart before the horse, it may surprise us. And testing was in Bahrain (wasn't it?), so the teams don't have mountains of data to tell them how to set the car up. McLaren have found some pace, and on the right circuit the Ferrari's look quick. Even Mercedes claim to have found some speed in their car, although none are, as yet, quite as fast the the Red Bull in Max Verstappen's hands. Here are the times for the Spanish race (BST), which for some reason F1.com insist on listing in reverse date order :dunno:.

1718788361236.png

Austria has a Sprint race, so only one practice session on Friday

1718788475619.png

There is no Sprint race at Silverstone this year.

1718788541914.png

If, like me, your significant other is not a great sports fan the next few weeks will be punctuated with comments such as "I can't believe your watching Afghanistan versus India" or "do you really need to watch Georgia versus Ukraine?". Need, no. Want, yes.

So sit back, fill a glass with whatever beverage is your choice, and enjoy numerous multi-millionaires getting aggy because they haven't won.

That'll be a car made in Brackley, Oxfordshire, an engine made in Brixworth, Northamptonshire, and a driver from Stevenage in Hertfordshire. It don't get much more British than that, regardless of the anthem they play for the team on the podium.

Nothing better than a British driver winning the British Grand Prix.
You'll be surprised that to discredit Hamilton now is because his detractors are saying he got lucky with Mclaren floundering or Mercedes sabotage Russell's car conspiracy

Their existence is meaningless or has diminished because of yesterday's results .

Last edited:
you know what surprised me, whats going on with Max Verstappen its was unnerving how nice & fair he was. i heard a few say that it was because he didnt have the pace but then he didnt have the pace in austria,
Given how much antagonising Red Bull have done leading up to the race they did not want to sound like the typical bad losers they are and ruin Hamilton's party. Even Horner was a bit more graceful in defeat.

I think this could work for Mercedes because Mclaren seem to up the ante on Red Bull which means the Silver Arrows may quietly sneak up unexpectedly.

So, for 2 ½ seasons Merc appear to be lost, fielding an uncompetitive dog of a car. Yet, halfway into this season (and too far behind to even dream about competing for the WDC) with Lewis headed for Ferrari for 2025, Merc suddenly come up with a car that is capable of winning some races…While at the same time, Ferrari, who have been well on course as the team (along with McLaren) most likely to be able to compete with RB, suddenly look lost and appear to be slipping back toward becoming a mid-packer! Is it any wonder why conspiracy theories tend to erupt? Anyway, it’ll be interesting to see if Ferrari can break its slump and get back on course in the development race (is their car currently too venue specific in its performance?). At this point poor CL appears to be beside himself. It would be nice to see Ferrari recover its form and perhaps then actually get to see four teams competing for wins. That would make for some fun race viewing!

Is it any wonder why conspiracy theories tend to erupt?
lol

You seriously think there's some coordinated conspiracy against Hamilton involving Mercedes and Ferrari and his planned move?

You've been drinking too much kool-aid.

You seriously think there's some coordinated conspiracy against Hamilton involving Mercedes and Ferrari and his planned move?

You've been drinking too much kool-aid.
Easy man! You're reading your own conclusions into what's just a simple post. I have merely pointed out the irony of the situation and noted that this is just the kind of thing that gives rise to conspiracy theories (some of which I’ve already seen). End of story.

Also, I've merely expressed a concern that's probably on the minds of many F1 fans--namely, how will Ferrari respond to its failed, back-sliding "upgrades."

i noticed. but stroll usually does well at silverstone i think
Stroll has generally performed well and achieved his best results (including his only pole) when wet conditions are involved. Though clearly not a WDC caliber driver, I think that his wet condition performances have demonstrated that he at least belongs in F1.

So, for 2 ½ seasons Merc appear to be lost, fielding an uncompetitive dog of a car. Yet, halfway into this season (and too far behind to even dream about competing for the WDC) with Lewis headed for Ferrari for 2025, Merc suddenly come up with a car that is capable of winning some races…While at the same time, Ferrari, who have been well on course as the team (along with McLaren) most likely to be able to compete with RB, suddenly look lost and appear to be slipping back toward becoming a mid-packer! Is it any wonder why conspiracy theories tend to erupt? Anyway, it’ll be interesting to see if Ferrari can break its slump and get back on course in the development race (is their car currently too venue specific in its performance?). At this point poor CL appears to be beside himself. It would be nice to see Ferrari recover its form and perhaps then actually get to see four teams competing for wins. That would make for some fun race viewing!

It’s more like James Allison has taking a while to sort out the mess, that Mike Elliott made with the Zero pod concept.

I was enjoying the statistics about Lewis Hamilton's victory at the weekend, particularly since 1976, which is when I believe F1 began to be broadcast live more regularly in the UK & f1 started to resemble its modern form. he is is the 3rd oldest winner of a Grand prix.
1720703194242.webp

& also where Hamilton's victories just at silverstone rank in F1 history

1720703407542.webp

----- Lewis Hamilton at Silverstone---- 9
1720703462680.webp

It’s more like James Allison has taking a while to sort out the mess, that Mike Elliott made with the Zero pod concept.
I wholeheartedly agree! Allison is one of the best in the business. To this day I still can’t understand why they would want to switch Allison out and replace him with Elliott, especially with F1 making a considerable shift to a new formula. It made no sense! Well, Merc paid dearly for that ill-conceived move and it’s nice to finally see Allison back where he belongs.

Back
Top Bottom