Grand Prix 2024 Spanish, Austrian, and British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

This weekend see the start of a "triple header" of F1 races, starting at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, in Spain, then on to the Red Bull Ring, for the Austrian Grand Prix on 30th June, and ending at Silverstone, for the British Grand Prix, on the 7th July. This will test the stamina of the team personnel, especially if we have a repeat of the start to the Austrian GP in 1987, where it took the grid three goes to make it past the first corner.

The third restart was nearly two hours after the race was supposed to start. You can imagine nowadays that the TV companies would be briefing their legal team, ready to sue the drivers for interrupting their schedule.

Spain is not usually too exciting, but let's not put the cart before the horse, it may surprise us. And testing was in Bahrain (wasn't it?), so the teams don't have mountains of data to tell them how to set the car up. McLaren have found some pace, and on the right circuit the Ferrari's look quick. Even Mercedes claim to have found some speed in their car, although none are, as yet, quite as fast the the Red Bull in Max Verstappen's hands. Here are the times for the Spanish race (BST), which for some reason F1.com insist on listing in reverse date order :dunno:.

1718788361236.png

Austria has a Sprint race, so only one practice session on Friday

1718788475619.png

There is no Sprint race at Silverstone this year.

1718788541914.png

If, like me, your significant other is not a great sports fan the next few weeks will be punctuated with comments such as "I can't believe your watching Afghanistan versus India" or "do you really need to watch Georgia versus Ukraine?". Need, no. Want, yes.

So sit back, fill a glass with whatever beverage is your choice, and enjoy numerous multi-millionaires getting aggy because they haven't won.

I was enjoying the statistics about Lewis Hamilton's victory at the weekend, particularly since 1976, which is when I believe F1 began to be broadcast live more regularly in the UK & f1 started to resemble its modern form. he is is the 3rd oldest winner of a Grand prix.
Fun and interesting stats F1Brits. For those who aren't familiar with it, I've posted a diagram of the Silverstone circuit layout that was used for the first F1 British GP, run in 1950. In fact, that race was the first ever official F1 championship race. It was won by Nino Farina in an Alfa Romeo (Alfa's heyday was back in the early years of F1). Can you imagine how fast a lap a current F1 car would turn on that old circuit!!!

1720732974701.webp

Last edited:
Wombat something ive never realised seeing that layout many a time. i didnt realise their was a 3rd starting line at silverstone. i know about going into copse 1st corner until 2009 & abbey 1st corner since 2010

& on time id say at least a minute

I would depend on the gearing but I suspect that except for Becketts all the corners would be 150mph or more, I would suggest under the minute as the speeds could be in excess of 230mph

Stroll has generally performed well and achieved his best results (including his only pole) when wet conditions are involved. Though clearly not a WDC caliber driver, I think that his wet condition performances have demonstrated that he at least belongs in F1.
I agree. He belongs in F1 more than people like Perez for example.

Keke's pole lap (which stood for a record 17 years) was 1.05,591. This was with a chicane in Woodcote. So I'm pretty sure they would go under a minute, but not much. After all the track is 4,7 kilometres.

Back
Top Bottom