Grand Prix 2024 Azerbaijan Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

in this unexpectedly brilliant F1 season, as we started expecting even more dominance. & we've ended up with the most different winners since 2008 & This is the 1st time 4 different constructors have taken at least 3 wins each since 1977, This weekend, we're off to Baku, a city that is 28m below sea level, which makes it the lowest lying national capital in the world & also the largest city in the world below sea level.

dubbed the 'Monaco of the modern age,' where we'll average 134mph per lap. It's a circuit of two halves, demanding a car that excels on high-speed straights & navigates the tight & twisty corners of the old town section

I'll admit, this race has surprised me in two ways: firstly, I thought Singapore was next, as it has traditionally followed Monza, and secondly, for some reason, I assumed it was a sprint race, but no it's actually just a normal weekend. LOL For the first time since Monza 2012, when Jerome D'Ambrosio replaced Romain Grosjean, we have a suspended driver. Kevin Magnussen has reached the 12-point limit on his super license, resulting in Oliver Bearman participating in his second Grand Prix, following his debut in Saudi Arabia.

Baku doesn't appear to have a fixed spot on the calendar, as it has occupied 3 different slots in just the 8th iteration of the race. The first 2 races took place in June, then from 2018 to 2023, the event was moved to April, and this season, it has been shifted to mid-September. its a race that rarely has a middle ground its either high drama or quite dull. i read a stat that there is a 86% chance of a safety car as we have had a virtual or full safety car in every year outside of the inaugural race in 2016.

Some surprising statistics about the Singapore circuit include that only two teams, Mercedes and Red Bull, have won there in its history. Considering his performance over the last 15 months, Sergio Perez is the only driver on that grid to have won in Baku multiple times. :shocked: yeah i know

baku.webp

That just means Verstappen had one less fast car to worry about. It feels like luck is on his side with two of his fastest rivals behind him

Given this is Baku, it seems inevitable that there will be a safety car at some point, which will unleash chaos. My bet is that either Bearman or Colapinto (or both) will have a lap one incident, wiping out several cars - either from being over-optimistic, or by being overly cautious.

Interesting Red Bull were hoping for a restart by pitting Verstappen
I thought that Red Bull called Verstappen in before Perez and Sainz had their brain fade, with the aim of going after the fastest lap... I couldn't see any other rationale - as if the race had been stopped, everyone would have had a free new set of tyres.

I thought that Red Bull called Verstappen in before Perez and Sainz had their brain fade, with the aim of going after the fastest lap... I couldn't see any other rationale - as if the race had been stopped, everyone would have had a free new set of tyres.
I did think it was peculiar . I was hoping he had a mechanical issue

Looking at the accident Sainz did not do everything wrong. Perez seem to gradually steer into him

I don't know if Ferrari are serious but they might need to think about backing Leclerc

Mclaren if Piastri keeps the momentum up the team orders might have to go out of the window

cracking race, reminded me of singapore last yr. love seeing 3 cars going for victory & were hard racing but very clean. until it became a 4 way

as it just looks like 2 drivers running very close & slightest movement causes the crash. i think its just 1 of those things at close racing, perez should given a bit more room & both thought they had more room they had. but whats confusing for me is ive seen the onboards of both drivers & how do 2 drivers that dont move the steering wheel, crash into each other

i do wonder if ferrari missed a trick & shouldve 2 stopped. as norris was taking 1.5secs a lap & think they couldve still won. but they'd spent so much time bluffing, that they missed their opportunity by lap 40

cant quite believe im going to type this. but does Verstappen need to look at himself. maybe his set up or his driving style because perez proved today that red bull is alot more competitive than Max is showing right now

also shout out to colopinto right now, he is driving outstandingly. logan Sargeant in 18 months never scored a point on track & his best race was 15 seconds away from albon. in 2 races colopinto finished closer than logan ever did, made Q3, outqualifed albon & finished 8th. if i was audi i would be ringing williams & asking what is 2025 availability was

I have mixed feelings about today's race because it looked like a DRS train fest and Verstappen seemed to have the luck with him when Norris and Hamilton not near him

The expected safety car came two laps from the end and interestingly could not restart the race when it is obvious the two cars would have taken an age to clear. Not that it matters except Verstappen missed out on fastest lap

Leclerc seemed to really struggle on the hard when he was miles in front and by the time he got his tyres working it was too late

Piastri - another strong drive and I am going to say if Red Bull and Verstappen might not see him sneaking up if he continues this form. He is the driver with momentum

Perez really outdrove Verstappen which you would expect which might help him next week at Singapore unless you're Marko who might say he cost the team constructors lead

Sainz - the smooth operator as was lurking until the crash

The accident , it looked innocuous with the briefest of touches pinning them together. I do think Perez was more at fault as he had he space to move across

Verstappen - a very subdued race and to be honest Perez and Sainz crashing out did him a favour in that Piastri and Leclerc missed out on a few more points to close in

Norris - the recovery was very good but could have taken more if it were not for quali

Russell - a lucky podium it has to be said because never on the pace

Hamilton - I am mystified by the decision to start on medium and expect the hard to have a greater impact when stuck in a train

Albon - a great race from him in a Williams which might bode well for next week

Colapinto - totally unexpected but Williams need to get him committed asap for 2026 .

Bearman - I thought qualifying 11th after his FP3 crash was mighty impressive

Ricciardo and Tsunoda - both had poor races and one is definitely getting the chop

Alonso - he's in no mans land in his car

Nothing notable to say about the rest

Colapinto - totally unexpected but Williams need to get him committed asap for 2026 .
Colapinto looks to be the tragedy of 2024...

Williams, having signed up Sainz, no longer have a seat available for 2025 - yet Colapinto has been dropped into F1, and is performing on a similar level to Alex Albon (who is probably now at his peak). Logan Corporal (now he has been demoted from the race seat, surely that means his rank should be reduced from sergeant) has held onto that seat, and made Albon look like a genius in the car. Colapinto's performance is now made to look like Hamilton's in 2007 (albeit further down the grid, and with far less preparation).

agree on colapinto The Artist..... , i was watching F2, he was good & i guess it shows the depth of quality in feeder series this yr. that i never expected him to be this good. as he was overshadowed by other great talent. only a shame that the grid isnt 24 or 26 cars because i would love to have seen colopinto, get a chance with hadjar, Bortoleto & maloney on next years grid. we are losing talent

this is prompting me to reassess Albon's performances. He has been driving well, but it raises the question if he has been flattered because of his dominance over his teammates, similar to Vettel with Kimi in 2017/18. has Albon settled into a comfort zone & not pushed to his limits as he would under pressure. Regarding Logan Sargeant, it's becoming embarrassing; arguably, the last 2 races where he hasn't competed has done more harm to his future career than his last 18 months.

Maybe someone needs to tell the 10 teams the junior guys don't get a look in if they don't have more teams

I am certain Hadjar will either be VCarb or reserve driver unless Marko deems him a failure for capitulation in F2 ever since he was talked about going to F1 back at Silverstone

Bortolrto I can't believe he is leading F2 so Audi seat??

Colapinto I think they will have him for 2026 now surely now as Albon wants a top driver. I can only see Russell being a threat to the seat if he is kicked out of Merc

The teams are not interested in drivers, they buy the best they can but don't want to throw money away on a young tearaway who regularly bends cars and and is midfield at best. Having said that someone has to be midfield and at the back, but as the times are closing up the older you get and you don't perform your contract is shorter with more conditions for a team get out, is Botas now that slow? or is the car that bad, one could say even Max is looking at risk and will be if Perez continues out pacing him.

Dartman yeah its old adage your only as good as your last race. the problem is if your in the slowest car like russell did in 2019 you can impress but at the moment both Bottas & Zhou look as bad as each other. bottas is better in qualifying but zhou is better in the races. i would say youve got nothing to lose now with talent coming through. but thats why 24 cars on that grid would be great because Bottas could get another year but also F2 drivers get there chance

Back
Top Bottom