Poll Should Button now take a supporting role to Hamilton

Should Jenson now Support Hamiltons Championship hopes.

• Yes

Votes: 29 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 29 50.0%

• Total voters
McLaren did not make a mistake with when they did not pit Hamilton. They had worked out that he had a better chance staying out and then overtaking those on old tyres whilst he was on fresh ones. He actually won quite comfortably, so there can't have been much wrong with their strategy.

As lewis was on his victory lap, Ron Dennis came over the radio and said well done to lewis, and well done, and apologised for the error, and making him do it the hard way. I think that would point to McLaren believing it was not the correct strategy.

The Pits - whilst I hate to argue with you when you have a picture of the ever lovely Miss Trott as your avatar (which kind of makes me read your posts in a differernt way odd isn't it?) I believe Mclaren believed they were chosing the optimum strategy and only when they saw ever bugger else do the other one did they realise they may have done the wrong thing - perversly the result showed they did the right thing but they decided it was the wrong thing.

Oh who cares he bloody won didn't he?

You naughty lot you. Now what was the subject? Oh, yes, I remember ... I think I will vote "no". In my humble opinion it's not a good idea to try and "manipulate" a result unless it is 1) a mathematical certainty that the alternative will be worse, 2) no longer a gamble and guaranteed to work and 3) in keeping with an already established order. The Laws of Murphy whilst being essentially fictional yet supported by Chaos Theory, the phenomenon of entropy and heaps of anecdotal evidence, suggests that messing with stuff in order to gain undue advantage will eventually be one's undoing.

In Ferrari's case the "established order" has been determined by the quality of their drivers. No matter how much we may like or admire poor Felipe, he will only be a match for Fernando if he is yet to reach the apex of ability as a driver. Even then Fernando will need to have peaked and started the inevitable slide in performance due to getting old and worn out. Can't see that happening somehow as I think Felipe is as good as he is going to get.

McLaren's situation is different. Jenson and Lewis are both quick in their own ways and both young enough to learn some new tricks. Jenson's slightly greater experience is still a useful card in his hand counterbalancing Lewis's greater (I believe) flexibility. So there is little to chose between them. To maximise chances of bringing home the titles both drivers need to finish ahead of their title challengers for the rest of the season depriving them of championship points at every opportunity. This means that both drivers need to drive to best of their abilities without any psychological or physical impediments getting in the way. Murphy will not be required to intervene if the concentration and commitment of either driver and their crew is upset by shenanigans of one kind or another. After all, McLaren have enough problems with strategy calls just playing it straight! LOL

Hmmmm, I'd agree that there's more difference between the two Ferrari drivers than the two Mclaren drivers at this point in time (hasn't always been that way between Felipe and Alonso).But I wouldn't agree that at this point in time there's little to choose between the two McLaren driver's.I think one's ahead by a significant amount. By enough to relegate one to support driver? No not yet. Let's see how the next two races pan out and re-asses then.

Yes, racecub , Jenson is behind in the mathematical stakes but my key point is that both he and Lewis need to perform without needless distractions like "artificial" team orders. As you say, it's still too early for that. I also believe that no "LIFTY" or "JIFTY" orders will be necessary as Jenson and Lewis have a healthy working relationship and great respect for each other.

I'd love you to be right Fend, but I'm not 100% sure it would pan out like that. In fact I'd say its 50/50 at best and probably a lot lower odds.:(

I actually think Lewis would move over for Jenson if the situation were reversed, but Jenson would not move over for Lewis because he has an inferiority complex which prevents him from putting the team first.

I think either would be hard pressed to concede defeat and would, therefore, be averse to helping the other out.

Racers race and don't give up easily.

Jen - of course a mentality that to a lesser or greater extent is shared by Massa, Irvine, Salo, Coulthard, Barrichello and Schumacher - all of whom have "done their bit" for their teams.

To my mind, the only 'real' racer was Schumacher (who was prepared to win at all cost, but shh!). Lewis and Jenson are in a place of their own, both as team mates, rivals and racers.

Jenson is currently 41 points behind Lewis but there are 9 races to go - why should he keel over just yet?

I think there is a difference between doing your bit for the team, and being asked to let the other guy through.

Back
Top Bottom