Poll Was Hamilton right to not yield to Rosberg?

Was Hamilton right to not yield to Rosberg?

• Yes

Votes: 59 90.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters
Bill sorry but that's illogical...

If Nico could get closer he would have ...in a race where you know two or three others could possibly win you must drive as fast as you can. If you need to pass your team mate you don't slow down even if you think that they will let you past : to do so just gives everyone else more time on you (alonso, Ricardo etc ).

Last edited:
So you'd prefer to go with he wouldn't rather than he couldn't? I think you're on your own with that one.

I hope, no, I dream that as a result of this, Mercedes decide that the Team Championship is not threatened and they can let the boys race. And when I say race, I mean that data and strategy stops being shared between the two sides of the garage and that they can turn their engines to whatever setting suits their strategy. It actually makes good business sense because if Nico and Lewis are battling the whole race, the cameras will stay on them the entire time and that is good for sponsors

If I had to watch a race that only consisted of watching two hours of Lewis and Nico then I would turn my tv the **** off, those two drivers are not why me and millions of others watch F1.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't watched the German GP on TV but my missus said you didn't see Rosberg until the final couple of laps as the director concentrated on the battles down the field. The TV coverage will concentrate on the best battles for the highest position. Personally I have no desire to see Max Chilton and Kamui Kobayashi battling out for 21st whilst Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel are scrapping of 3rd (or whatever).

Been on extended holiday and I watched the race Live on NBC. But I just got a chance to watch it over on Sky and I honestly cant believe there is a single person who feels that Hamilton was in the wrong by not ceding position. I believe this was another turning point in the Championship and if Lewis had listened to the first radio call he would almost certainly have lost 10-13 points to Rosberg. It shouldn't have been a tough call for him either. Nico was hardly pressuring him at that stage and he was closing on Fernando. Great drive by Lewis and although it was just P3, it was a huge victory.

Is this the most lopsided poll ever? As it should be though! I haven't heard a single person make a decent argument that Hamilton should have moved aside at that point. The guys that delivered the order even recognized the absurdity of the call afterwards.

“The radio message, heard from the outside, I admit, it sounded bad,” he said. “But it was logical: Nico soon had to return to the pits to change tyres, he was faster, there was reason to ask Lewis to let him through. But there were no ulterior motives and even malice, trust me."

So Aldo Costa seems to be of the opinion that the order was for the good of the team.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/...ta-on-why-his-old-team-ferrari-is-struggling/

Here's a comment from Toto Wolff that IMO spells it out, it comes from today's Beeb Practice page:
Lewis Hamilton, still the pacesetter with 1:49:189, is told over team radio that he is "half a tenth faster" than team-mate Nico Rosberg on his last lap.
That came after Mercedes executive director Toto Wolff gave some interesting insight into the team's thinking after Hamilton's failure to follow team orders in Hungary.
Wolff says the situation "needed a little bit of mediating, management, caressing, hard words", adding: "You cannot expect it to run super-smoothly. You don't expect when your team-mate has one more stop to do that you make his life difficult. On the other hand you cannot ruin one's race by expecting him to lose a couple of hundred metres. It was a matter of the words used not the principle.
"We probably shouldn't have said to Nico that Lewis was going to let him through, we should have said he won't make your life difficult."

The bolding of that last sentence was by me and is what many of us have been pointing out from the start, so my response to Toto is 1) EXACTLY, and 2) Glad you guys fessed up on how it was mishandled.

Back
Top Bottom