Michael Schumacher

The Vettel thread surprised me as such that when I searched for a Schumacher thread, I could not find one. So I propose this thread for Schumacher because regardless of your opinion whether his return is succesful or not, I think we can all agree that there's always something to talk about whether he's had a good or bad race.
Historical Discussion may be allowed on the thread as long as it's on topic.
Enjoy! :)

Schumacher was the first driver to build a team around him. By modern F1 I mean the way the teams are run and the power the driver has. Back before Schumacher we were very much in an era where the team sorted the car out and the driver turned up to drive it. Hence why Williams could just discard drivers whenever they wanted as they knew what the important issue was.

No, my friend, he wasn't.

Ferrari built a team around Ascari in the 1950s (until he was killed) and, arguably, Lauda in the mid 1970s until he and Enzo Ferrari fell out.

So you're very wrong, my dear friend!

In the "modern era" (the Ecclestone/TV era) Brabham did the same with Piquet for nearly 7 seasons...Lotus with Senna until he left because he didn't think they could win him a title...McLaren with Prost and then Senna (between 1986 through to 1993)...McLaren again with Hakkinen who was there 9 years from test driver to retirement.

All came before Schumacher.

You only think that because you probably started watching the show in 2000 or somesuch...so do try again!

Williams were an anomaly...But not when they first started. They thought their engineering talent was worth more any one driver. But they did start off building a team around Alan Jones in the later part of the 1970s until he quit at the end of 1981. From then on, they thought one top guy was interchangeable with another top guy. Their philosophy changed after Jones left.

You only think that because you probably started watching the show in 2000 or somesuch...so do try again!

Actually I only started watching F1 at the Hungrarin GP in 2011. Obviously Ray you were around to watch Ascari or you wouldn't be able to talk about him with such authority. So that makes you about 75 years old right?

Anyways back on Schumi. Many tried to come along and go for Fangio's record he's the only one who actually acheived it. From the moment he stepped into F1 he created a stir and however much you like him or dislike him you have to admitt he is one of the greats. He's not been turned into the saint that other drivers have been transformed into yet - and as I said there are still a lot of people bitter from being beaten by him - give it 10 years and that'll all be forgotten and this debate will look very silly

Actually I only started watching F1 at the Hungrarin GP in 2011. Obviously Ray you were around to watch Ascari or you wouldn't be able to talk about him with such authority. So that makes you about 75 years old right?

You're trying to change the subject, my friend. :)

Ascari, Lauda (Ferrari), Piquet (Brabham), Senna (Lotus then McLaren), Prost (arguably Renault, but definitely McLaren) and Hakkinen (McLaren) all were drivers where a team tried to build around them...all before Schumacher signed for Ferrari for 1996.

That's the point of discussion. Everything else is ancilliary! ;)

You're trying to change the subject, my friend. :)

Ascari, Lauda (Ferrari), Piquet (Brabham), Senna (Lotus then McLaren), Prost (arguably Renault, but definitely McLaren) and Hakkinen (McLaren) all were drivers where a team tried to build around them...all before Schumacher signed for Ferrari for 1996.

That's the point of discussion. Everything else is ancilliary! ;)

Yes I was trying to change the subject - you went for insults and once that happens I stop debating so I pointed out the flaw in your insults and decided to put the thread back on track by talking about Schumi again for other members - true it may have been a poor attempt due to extreme poor F1 knowledge but was trying to help the thread on to the best of my abilites. ;)

Ray, schumi chose his team unlike the rest i believe

So what? How relevant is that?

Regardless, Senna chose to take Honda to McLaren. So, Senna actually chose McLaren eventhough they had Prost there.

Besides, Schuey/Ferrari chose each other. Ferrari had little other options after Senna was killed. Hakkinen was unproven because McLaren were in the doldrums...so Schumi was the only top guy to choose.

Also, Schumi chose Ferrari because Benetton were paying him peanuts by comparison and his advisor/agent (I forget his name...the 'big' guy with the beard who also was Ralf's agent) wanted to become a multi millionaire faster than he could by going anywhere else.

Let's not kid ourselves.

Williams paid peanuts...and McLaren weren't going to pay him that much more with Hakkinen there.

Ferrari dangled big huge bags of Deutshce Marks, Italian Lira, Swiss Francs, Pounds Stirling and US Dollars in front of Schumi and his manager...and Schumi's greedy manager/agent was frothing at the mouth at it.

Ferrari paid like no tomorrow...and Schumi's agent was wagging his big fat salivating tongue like a pig going to the trough! :)

Ray, why do you constantly bash Schumacher....and Ferrari? After every session every race... :p

The guy's back F1, he has provided us with a lot of excitement this year, he's always there, pulling off moves, getting amazing starts, breaking front wings, spinning, everyone's a winner.

His move on Alonso in Monaco last year was one of the most oppurtunistic I have ever seen, it is a shame he got penalised over it.

As much as I agree with you that Prost is one of the greats (I rate him very highly), I have to say Schumacher will always most of the time pip him in many number of polls.

@Ray...Willy Weber

Ya, big old Willy really lucked in with Shumi there, didn't he? I mean Willy bagged 10s of Millions of (Name Your Currency) for himself off the back of Schuey's talent at a time when other top flight talent was scarce once Mansell, Prost and Senna had gone...and also at a time when Bernie and Germany needed a 'German star' driver.

Willy continued to milk the Schumacher name by peddling the great one's inconsistent and over-rated brother!

Shame that old Willy couldn't get Hulkenberg a drive, eh?

I guess it's much tougher when there are already 6 Germans on the grid, not to mention LOADS of Top Class non-German talent in the field!

Ja?

:)

I don't!

I wished him well for his 20th anniversary race coming up at Spa in this thread, didn't I? :)

Also, I took a pic of a painting of him in his Mercedes GP at an art display at my hotel in Montreal...and I posted it here saying that I liked it! ;)

Just as well copyright doesn't exist on the internet. Or did you pay the rights holder?

Just as well copyright doesn't exist on the internet. Or did you pay the rights holder?

So when one displays a picture of a publically displayed original work they need to pay? Ray hasn't charged you to view his original photo has he?

Better to just appreciate the piece and not think too much

Just occured to me that Schumi is actually old enough to have Qualified for the old Grand Prix Masters series. Now I would have put serious money on him winning that.

That was a good idea - shame company went bankrupt. I also thought they should have had it on same day as F1 races but in the morning. Like a 10 lap race or something to warm up the crowd and show off some old greats.

Schumi could have driven in both then.

Well clearly as we can see from spa 2011 free practise 1 that Schumacher dominates beating his teammate by 0.4 sec and trashing the rest of the opposition by 8 seconds or more. Clearly he is back on form for his 20th anniversary.

Back
Top Bottom