Michael Schumacher

The Vettel thread surprised me as such that when I searched for a Schumacher thread, I could not find one. So I propose this thread for Schumacher because regardless of your opinion whether his return is succesful or not, I think we can all agree that there's always something to talk about whether he's had a good or bad race.
Historical Discussion may be allowed on the thread as long as it's on topic.
Enjoy! :)

Entirely relevant
Lets hope to see a spectacular start from 24th position.
His lowest career start to date. Guaranteed Mechanical Failure.
So in spirit of his 20th anniversary. GO!!! SCHUMACHER!!!!

"Well, obviously I would have wished for a different end to today's qualifying, but it is difficult to drive on three wheels - even if I should have the experience to do so in Spa. Seriously, this is certainly something that should not occur, but then this is also Formula One; we are working at the highest level but still things can happen. At first, I wasn't sure what had happened, as I just felt myself lose the back end suddenly which is why I instantly apologised to the team. But then I saw the wheel off the car and understood the reason why I had lost control. Trying to find the good in the bad, I'd probably say that I still have some fresh sets of tyres left, and that there is only one direction to go tomorrow: forward." Official press release for those who want to know.

Bruno Senna duplicated Schumacher's effort from 20 years ago:

7th on the grid after being installed at Jordan(/Renault) thanks to payment from Sauber-Mercedes(/Family bank account.)

If it's a dry race, the best Schumacher can hope for is an 8th place finish...but he'll have lots of fast and hungry drivers to chew through to get there.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he hit another car and had to come into the pits to replace a bent front wing. Hehe. :snigger:

Yeah Schumi had only sat in an F1 car for the first time a week before though and Bruno had a whole season, some testing and a cheeky go round Spa doing promotional work a couple of weeks back.

I remembering Schumi winning Spa from 17th once and that was without the extra tyres so we'll see what mood he's in tomorrow.

Bruno Senna duplicated Schumacher's effort from 20 years ago:

7th on the grid after being installed at Jordan(/Renault) thanks to payment from Sauber-Mercedes(/Family bank account.)

If it's a dry race, the best Schumacher can hope for is an 8th place finish...but he'll have lots of fast and hungry drivers to chew through to get there.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he hit another car and had to come into the pits to replace a bent front wing. Hehe. :snigger:

Lots of wrong in there Ray.:p

I don't get all the hoopla about Schumi's drive today.

It's obvious that the Mercedes is the 4th fastest car (although Rosberg blew through the sharp end to take the lead from 6th on the grid proving that the Mercedes certainly ain't a slow car!). So Schumacher finishing where he did - given Hamilton's DNF and Massa's puncture - is hardly anything to shout about given he had the luxury of fresh tyres and an optimal tyre strategy.

Rosberg fought against the big boys with honour and that cost him fuel...But at least Rosberg DID fight amongst the Big Boys. Schumacher just drove a normal race.

You can say the same for Buttons drive then, he also had a spare set of fresh tyres, remember they only used one set of dry tyres in Q3 so not really a big advantage.

Basically what you are saying Ray is that he had the 4th fastest car and should have finished 5th from 24th.

That's like saying Webber coming from 24th on th grid to finish 2nd one the grid is adequate.

Well, yeah...Except Button had front wing damage (through no fault of his own) and, so, lost some time as a result of that. But, no, i'm definitely not shouting about Button''s drive.

As per Webber...yes...when Webber finished 3rd in China I wasn't shouting off the roof tops either. The guy had 3 sets of fresh tyres for China after a poor qualifying.

Vettel was the Hero for me today. He crushed everyone's hopes of challenging him in the title and has some mighty over-takes, like on Rosberg's very fast Mercedes on the outside of the blindingly quick and daunting Blanchimont sweep.

What suprise Ray didn't rate Schumi's drive. You're right he came from 24th to 5th - how bloody crap is he eh? shouldn't even be driving tractors.

15th by end of first lap. Kept going and to get past Nico who lets not forget led the race twice and was at least a pit stop in front of him at one point. Nice one Schumi.

There was nothing exceptional about being 15th when you had a about 4 rookies in slower cars or very slow cars ahead of you or in trouble.

Rosberg's taking of the lead from TWO Red Bulls, Hamilton's McLaren and the lead Ferrari...now that was something special!

That Mercedes was much faster than the HRT's, Virgins, Lotuses, Williamses...so why should we be hailing Schumacher for being in front of most of them after the longest lap of the year at a circuit with tons of over-taking spots?

Schumacher, given the much slower cars ahead of him, should have at the very least been 16th at the end of lap one but Bruno hitting Alguersauri helped him to 15th. That Mercedes was bloody quick. Had he not been 16th or 17th or 15th after lap 1 it would have been an embarrassment.

It's not like he legitimately over-took RBRs, Ferraris and McLarens the way Rosberg did...

Further, Nico mixed it up with the BIG BOYS and brought honour to the Silver Arrows. Schumacher, meanwhile, had the advantage of fresh rubber (due to qually) and optimal tyre strategy (given his grid position)...I didn't see Schumacher doing much when it came to McLarens, Red Bulls and Ferraris. He just drove his normal race and picked up the spots Hamilton and Massa (helped by a pucture) vacated.

Others may want to get the knee pads out for that but i'm not going to!

Rosberg over-took better/faster cars and led the Belgian Grand Prix.

Schumacher didn't.

Rasputin my friend, you can try and twist my words all you want but i'm not going to be goaded into another post on this subject. Let's go to the new McLaren Development thread...Ok? :)

Yes Rosberg did over take better and faster cars and he finished 6th. One place behind Michael Schumacher and one place lower than his starting position.

Schumi finished 5th after starting 24th.

Using your logic thats a 20 place swing to Michael!

It really wasn't surprising though ray, the Mercedes sector 1 time has been impressive, it was inevitable he would have been re passed by the top teams. Rosberg started 5th as well on the inside with Webber getting a terrible start. With a standard start that would have guaranteed 3rd place out of la source.

Wonderful.

I bet you the board members in Stuttgart were really waving their Pom Poms with Schumi's 5th placed finish...and were quiet as church mice when Rosberg overtook far greater opposition to lead a Grand Prix for them.

Not.

Back
Top Bottom