Michael Schumacher

The Vettel thread surprised me as such that when I searched for a Schumacher thread, I could not find one. So I propose this thread for Schumacher because regardless of your opinion whether his return is succesful or not, I think we can all agree that there's always something to talk about whether he's had a good or bad race.
Historical Discussion may be allowed on the thread as long as it's on topic.
Enjoy! :)

The Artist..... i agree on schumacher in 94 & that i always found weird that hill is often applauded for the 1994 championship battle as if it was even but schumacher got 92 pts from 13 races & hill got 91pts from 16 races. but then how much was the traction control helping him in win races is a gap ,what would the williams have done if benetton was legal & senna survived we will never know. i think schumacher will have won anyway probally

but 94, (like 97 & 06) for me has always been adelaide, how he deliberately cheated, knew he was out so he damaged damon hill car as well

on 4 - i know that 1 from beyond the grid, i remember ross brawn saying about the shock/bemusement on the faces as they couldnt believe someone could be so wrong LOL
They had a similar video clip of Brawn saying that about 97. On 94 interestingly they interviewed Hill, and Hill called it as it was, but then Hill said he doesn’t know what he would have done if the situation were reversed. I think Hill was being too nice. He didn’t have that killer instinct, 2006 was not covered.

On the whole I thought it was a good documentary. However I came away thinking Hamilton is a much greater driver than Schumacher. You see Schumacher making a lot of mistakes under pressure. We lost sight of that during the 2001-2004 glory years where he was unchallenged. Schumacher comes across as a very emotional driver with less mental strength than a Hamilton. In fact Hakkinen came across more favorably to me in this documentary.

Last edited:
What surprised me most in this film was Sebastian Vettel speaking in German. I think it's the first time I've ever heard him speak his mother tongue.

P1 is it that Damon Hill did have the killer instinct or is it british sporting way. because as a country we dont do "cheating" or gamesmanship like other countries, like germany who think its fine to be ruthless & whatever it takes to be successful. probally think of us a naive or stupid. as i think if place were reversed hill stays slowly to the inside & schumacher goes around the outside

& i was hakkinen fan when i was younger, but i think i was unconsciously swayed away from Schumacher because obviously my dad didnt like him after

P1 is it that Damon Hill did have the killer instinct or is it british sporting way. because as a country we dont do "cheating" or gamesmanship like other countries, like germany who think its fine to be ruthless & whatever it takes to be successful. probally think of us a naive or stupid. as i think if place were reversed hill stays slowly to the inside & schumacher goes around the outside

& i was hakkinen fan when i was younger, but i think i was unconsciously swayed away from Schumacher because obviously my dad didnt like him after
I don't know. Lewis Hamilton seems like a much more aggressive racer than Damon. Yes he is not dirty like Schumacher, but he is aggressive and has a killer instinct. Look at the 2015 US Grand Prix as a great example.

I was a Hakkinen fan too, also because I thought and still think, that Schumacher was an anti-hero.

Dare I say it, I think that with Brawn and Schumacher, they were the first team to really understand the strategic elements of the regulations at the time around re-fuelling, especially in 94 and 95 (this is based on my somewhat hazy memory of the period, but early 90's very few teams could match the Williams or McLaren, regardless of strategy)

My fave season for Schumacher was 1998. I felt watching how he went about chasing the McLarens that year was thoroughly entertaining, and he got a lot closer to them than he should have, especially when you look at the race in Melbourne that year.

Back
Top Bottom