Grand Prix 2023 Hungary Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

It's time, ladies, gentlemen, boys, girls, and those of a non-binary persuasion, for the 2023 Hungarian Grand Prix. This means we will be treated to endless replays of Nelson Piquet in the Williams overtaking Ayrton Senna in the Lotus in 1986 as that is the only exciting thing which ever happened at this circuit.

In fairness, there have a couple of other incidents which do come to mind when thinking about Hungary. Jenson Button and Esteban Ocon both won their first GP at the Hungaroring. Jenson went on to win a World Championship, Esteban looks to be disappearing in to obscurity in a less than competitive car. Hmm, Ocon to be Word Champion in 2024 then.

I have a vague recollection of Michael Schumacher attempting to kill Rubens Barrichello one year, and Paul di Resta being allowed to be a mobile chicane another, much to the chagrin of Kimi Raikkonen.

You may wonder why I'm taking this trip down memory. Well, firstly I'm getting older and all I have left to look forward to is the past. Secondly, beyond some sort of divine intervention we will watch Max Verstappen in his Red Bull top the time sheets in every practice session, each qualifying session, and then lead every lap of the race as well as setting fastest lap. That said, the Hungarian race for many years was not blessed with much excitement and, generally, it's only when it rains that we have some sort of contest.

Ho hum. Oh, it's Belgian after this which will be much more pleasant watching than the Communist "installation" but I doubt will be any more competitive.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
the dirty side of the grid will be an issue, but when they are battling each other it will be very interesting, because he has been quite respectful to everyone & giving space but Hamilton. but then was that because he didn't have the desperation of 2021
We've seen Verstappen is an angry Red Bull if anyone dares to pass him. I'd love a Mclaren to get in between Verstappen and Hamilton because I think they will scamper away from the field

the dirty side of the grid will be an issue, but when they are battling each other it will be very interesting, because he has been quite respectful to everyone & giving space but Hamilton. but then was that because he didn't have the desperation of 2021
But equally, Hamilton was respectful about giving everyone else space but Verstappen... It's always interesting seeing both Verstappen and Hamilton in 2021 - neither would give each other an inch, but when Verstappen or Hamilton fought Leclerc (say), in very similar circumstances, then they would always give a respectful inch.

We've seen Verstappen is an angry Red Bull if anyone dares to pass him. I'd love a Mclaren to get in between Verstappen and Hamilton because I think they will scamper away from the field
Personally, I think there are about 4 possibilities for the race...
  1. Verstappen gets into the lead at the start, and scampers away
  2. Hamilton leads at the start, and a DRS train forms behind him for the entire race. Verstappen tries to out strategise, but because of the DRS train, can't find clear track to get out in clear air
  3. Hamilton and Verstappen crash on the first corner. Piastri comes through to win. (I know that Lando is more likely, but given the outcome in Monza, Russia, and Hungary 2021, I thought it better to put my money on PIastri)
  4. One of the McLarens gets ahead of Verstappen in T1. Hamilton breaks the DRS, and wins the race.

5. A third of the way into the race there is a thirty second burst of drizzle over turn 5. Fernando's car twitches slightly as it takes the apex and he's instantly on the radio to report the track is too wet for even full wet tyres. The race director instantly red flags the race.

Due to the delay, the Red Bull Mechanics exceed their working hours and require a 2 hour rest break. Christian Horner successfully argues that this break should be 6 hours as his team have to eat a 5 course lunch with wine.

As there is no time left to complete the race the FIA award the win to Verstappen as he was in a Red Bull and thst begins with the same letter as the word Rain.

Toto threatens to pull Mercedes out of F1 and take the FIA to court over their clear Red Bull bias and then immediately reverses that decision when he's presented with a £50 book token.

The FIA promise to review their race win awarding procedures and 6 months later announce that after a comprehensive inquiry they have sacked a tea lady.

Bit sad that George Russell is blaming the team for the fact that he couldn't get his car on the right piece of track at the right time, whilst nearly all the other drivers did.

But equally, Hamilton was respectful about giving everyone else space but Verstappen... It's always interesting seeing both Verstappen and Hamilton in 2021 - neither would give each other an inch, but when Verstappen or Hamilton fought Leclerc (say), in very similar circumstances, then they would always give a respectful inch.
very true, they both refused to give an inch. i dont think since Britain they had a clean battle for the rest of the year

but i did think that verstappen always had the attitude. where hamilton did try to avoid in imola & spain. then either by himself or was told the mind games have to got to start otherwise your just going to be bullied off the track every time

Bit sad that George Russell is blaming the team for the fact that he couldn't get his car on the right piece of track at the right time, whilst nearly all the other drivers did.
its a tough one i dont think he is blaming them 100%. from the interview i heard. he was a bit annoyed at drivers jumping queue, knew he had to be more forceful, to not the queue jumping happen & that team shouldnt have left to very last minute

The same thing happened to Hamilton in Austria really the pit guys need to be alert at the last minute rush ... we've got Monza coming up that will be fun

Seriously whilst its about maximising grip they should not be in the situation where other cars are going to get in the way especially at the Hungaroring

A truly dreadful race in a truly dreadful season. If those running F1 don't realise that having one driver in one team winning every race is bad for the sport then there are idiots. And if any suggests that "it's up to the others teams to catch up" you're wrong.

Here's a thought, rather than just punishing teams that overspend, maybe the rules should punish them and allow all other teams a budget increase matching the overspend.

Would help minimise any catering related shenanigans.

Here's a thought, rather than just punishing teams that overspend, maybe the rules should punish them and allow all other teams a budget increase matching the overspend.

Would help minimise any catering related shenanigans.
maybe then Horner would be running scared and not so smug

A truly dreadful race in a truly dreadful season. If those running F1 don't realise that having one driver in one team winning every race is bad for the sport then there are idiots. And if any suggests that "it's up to the others teams to catch up" you're wrong.
FIA - no

F1 - Liberty Media - yes

Horner off course does not give a 💩 I just hope when Mclaren and Mercedes get their act together they can trounce them or their partnership with Ford goes down in tatter

No amount of additional money for the other teams would really change anything.

It's clear the RB car is the most dominant car for decades, if not ever.
Additional amount of money would close the gap to a certain extent but not all

I wonder if Hamilton was in the AM earlier or the Mclaren would he be closer than Norris or Alonso.

Mercedes problem seems to be they have a small operating window and it appears to be on low fuel as well

Never will happen F1 is sanitised to avert any chance of either happening, unless there is another Jules Bianchi which was a organisational failure

In my opinion the custodians of F1 don’t seem to have a handle on the sport.
So far this season we have a new sprint qualifying format.
A qualifying format that’s based on the grounds of sustainability,
A new tyre structure as the sole tyre manufacturer couldn’t see that the cars would be faster, and have more load going through them.
A team more dominant even though they broke the rules, which most teams said last season that the punishment didn’t fit the crime.
And an ever increasing race calendar which is diluting the product.

Back
Top Bottom