BTCC BTCC 2011 Season

An eventful Formula Renault race a little earlier.
I was just thinking how Josh Hill was looking a bit average, pootling round in 8th place after a so-so start from 7th on the grid, when he seemed to suddenly come alive and made one or two storming overtakes, including one on Ellinas, one of the championship frontrunners. Aided by some comings-together ahead, Hill looked like he might even be on for a podium until Ellinas stupidly rammed him with an impossibly late move at the hairpin and put him out of the race with a split radiator.
Alex Lynn looks impressive though. He led from lights to flag and won with a big gap, and seems to be running away with the championship.

He's not going to be happy about that - there was a bit of contact between him and Plato.

I wonder if the stewards will get involved?

There was also a little tap from Shedden on MacDowall later in the lap, but fortunately that didn't result in a spin.

Always great to see a Plato/Neal incident. A good chance for closing he gap.
My fav on next, Ginetta Jnrs.

Points on his license and a fine for Plato after the incident with Neal in the first race.

Shedden has forced his way through in the second race, taking half of Platos' rear bumper in the process.

Edit: The replay seemed to suggest it was Wrathal who hit Nash who hit Shedden who hit Plato.
I wonder if the stewards will get involved with that incident? I suspect not.

A shame for Wrathall that he had to retire from the second race. Him and Dave Newsham are driving really well...while the likes of Chilton seem to be going backwards. The BMW seems to have reached pensionable age too.

Mat Jackson's looking well set to be championship leader by the end of the weekend at this rate. Excellent work.

I must say I really like the new layout at Snetterton.
There seem to be quite a few good overtaking areas, including a couple of high speed sections.

There was a great camera shot in the second race of 2 cars side by side drifting through a very high speed right hander.

Great stuff!

Hmm, I'm not so sure. I suppose it'll take time for me to get used to it! I don't miss the old Russell chicane, but I'm not sure that the new corner (Murray's, I think) is too much different, really.

There was a great camera shot in the second race of 2 cars side by side drifting through a very high speed right hander.

Great stuff!

That was Coram, one of the few corners remaining from the old layout... ;)

Can I just add that Shedden was brave removing the loose wing panel by intentionally crashing again! What if something similar happened in F1? The orange and black was shown so surely he would have to go to the pits even if the damage was sorted.....

I knew at the time he had deliberately driven at the bale to take it off, you could see he had to make a last minute adjustment to get close enough.

It was both brave and stupid and I'm surprised the stewards had nothing to say about it.

A disappointing weekend in BTCC.

The Knockhill circuit is really too short and the NA cars had no chance against the Turbos today.

Not content with taking Plato out in race 3, Boardman then caused chaos at the restart by coming to a standstill, which resulted in several cars driving onto each other.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is investigated.

Worst weekend possible for Mat Jackson too, who was the championship leader.
He failed to finish in all 3 races.

A pity for Mat Jackson, it's looking increasingly like an intra-Honda battle for the championship now.

The NA BMWs looked alright...I'm beginning to think the problem with the Chevy is a lack of development vis a vis the opposition. They're winning the World series by default due to lack of opposition, so if I was in charge at Chevrolet I'd be keeping the spending well under control. The turbos have been progressively pegged back since the start of the year, but the Chevy isn't making any apparent inroads. Look at McDowall this weekend, for example.

Only caught the last race and it was a bit "crash, bang, wallop" but it was bloody good motor racing.

Same here. I only saw the 3rd race and thoroughly enjoyed it. :thumbsup:
Think I'll be making a point to watch all the races from now on. :thinking:

As seems more and more likely, re the continuing F1/BBC/Sky saga, I can see BTCC being my "methadone" in 2012, acting to alleviate the cold turkey I'll be suffering as I "come off" my F1 addiction... :coffee:

Off-topic but hopefully of interest - reading Autosport recently I was alerted to the fact that Duke Video have now got archive DVDs on sale, covering the glory days of Super Touring in the mid- to late-1990s. A bit pricey for my liking, but proper racing with real men and proper cars etc. etc. and three hours apiece - I can particularly recommend 1995 and 1998 as good years...

http://www.dukevideo.com/Duke-Archive-DVD/Car/Touring-and-Saloon.aspx

Off-topic but hopefully of interest - reading Autosport recently I was alerted to the fact that Duke Video have now got archive DVDs on sale, covering the glory days of Super Touring in the mid- to late-1990s. A bit pricey for my liking, but proper racing with real men and proper cars etc. etc. and three hours apiece - I can particularly recommend 1995 and 1998 as good years...

http://www.dukevideo.com/Duke-Archive-DVD/Car/Touring-and-Saloon.aspx
Thanks Galahad, brilliant find. The only shame for me is that they don't have the BTCC 1992 review, which was, in my view, the best year ever for it. I know 98 was another good one, so I'll get that soon. Grand Prix - The Killer years is also available on there, so I might get that too. Thanks again :thumbsup::goodday:

Back
Top Bottom