Formula E News and General Discussion Thread

Whilst it may seem harsh, it feels more or less appropriate that a driver who was saved yesterday and handed the win after crashing (although there wasn't a lot he could do about it), experiences a penalty today... However, I'd want to see the other cars involved in this accident similarly penalised.

Mortara has already been penalised with a 5 second penalty yesterday - but Vandoorne (whose fault it was to cause the need to change the battery) seems to have gotten away with it...

The weather in New York for the first race was seriously odd

i know that was crazy 10 mins weather wise as few mins after the deluge its was bright sunshine

The Artist..... i get what you mean, does feel he got fortunate. but it was extraordinary circumstances, as there was alot of devastation. as only 1 wouldve Been able to take the restart as every car, bar friyns had some kind of damage.

there was nothing they could do on effectively worn intermediates. sepang 2009, Nurburgring 2007 conditions. on board it was like 1 of them hit a bow wave

Now, the second race also raised questions for me... When do drivers get disqualified for running out of energy? Da Costa had run out of energy as he crossed the line, as had Evans... It used to be that drivers were disqualified if this happened... Not sure why not today

Not having any energy left and running out are subtly different.
Yes - my understanding was that it was possible to run out of energy (even before the usage went to zero) - but only due to technical issues.

Evans and Da Costa had clearly no energy left - it ticked down to zero before the finish lineā€¦

Now, the second race also raised questions for me... When do drivers get disqualified for running out of energy? Da Costa had run out of energy as he crossed the line, as had Evans... It used to be that drivers were disqualified if this happened... Not sure why not today
it depends i guess on if they used more than 52kWh if they did. then it wouldve been DSQ

In Formula E, drivers start each race with 52kWh of usable energy out of a total battery capacity of 54kWh. They'll aim to use every last jolt of juice from that 52kWh allowance - leaving nothing on the table.

If a driver does get it wrong and goes over that limit, the remaining 2kWh buffer allows them to safely make their way back to the pits.

London e prix saturday & sunday in this extremely hectic sporting weekend. some nice layout changes for from 2021 to 2022 & they got rid of that stupid mickey mouse section. with a chicane that looks really nice for racing

London_Docks_and_ExCel_Layout_2021.svg.png

Formula-E-cars-race-through-the-hairpins-at-London-Excel.jpg

z9szxu4pw4091.jpg

20220729_212958.jpg

its the final round of season in seoul & after 4 seasons the final round of the mercedes & Gen 2 era as Mercedes become mclaren & Gen 2 becomes gen 3 from 2022/23 next season.

it will be an early start, channel 4 8am starts on both days. i would love to say ooh its up for grabs, multiple people can win as going into london it was a 4 horse race but to quote kevin bridges after the british round, Formula E has become showjumping. because Vandoorne drove brilliantly in london, 2nd on saturday, parctically on the sunday to get up to 4th. with Mortara & vergne scoring nothing in either race. & what was looking like a 22pt lead, mitch evans power unit died in the late stages, gifting Vandoorne what is more than likely a unassasiable 36pt lead going into this weekend, barring retirement could even have it won with a race remaining. before he rumoured to replace da costa at Ds Techeetah. who rumoured to be moving to porsche

temp 1.jpg

not the most rip roaring race by formula e standards but still interesting & keep the title fight alive until tomorrow. but it was an outstanding start from mitch evans 1 of the best ive seen this year under those circumstances, wet track, very tretaceous. muscled his way from 3rd to 1st. then drove faultlessly. but it still looks as if his power unit failure on the penultimate lap in london has cost him the title barring a DNF from Vandoorne tomorrow, but when a wet race is forecast anything is possible, but there is jeopardy thunderstorms forecast from 3pm - 7pm & rain from 7pm - 10pm. with nearly 20mm of rain tomorrow the race might not happen

but these are the permutations

temp 1.jpg

congrats vandoorne on Formula E title, fully deserved, he drove great all season, numerous great recoveries from disappointing qualifying & his consistency was incredible. you have to look at the wins for the top 3 in the championship
Vandoorne - 1 win
Evans - 4 wins
Mortara - 4 wins

but whereas the other title contenders where 9/10 & 10/10. other weeks 3/10 & 4/10. he was always 7/10 rarely winning but always top 5. Mortara & Vergne threw it away in the last 4 rounds they scored 4 pts between them. going from favourites to gone

also with the new qualifying for this season that rewards pace, instead of punishing the best making the racing a lottery as wasnt until this year you could be fully confident the best driver won the race. instead of someone who got lucky by being in bottom seeds. inwould arguably make vandoorne the 1st proper FE champ in its 8 yr history

Missed both London races and only got to see the second of the two in Seoul. The usual crash, bang, wallop, mixed in with some great overtaking and racing. Another good season for the Formula, let's see how the Gen 3 cars go next season.

A consistent also ran will never make it to be counted among the greatest so really another Prost, Surtees Andretti driver right place, right time, right team

FB yeah im looking forward to the new cars, 2023 is going to be very interesting. & as circuits that need to going need to adapt for the 40% power increase & cars 80kg lighter. power to weight ratio is a 50% increase going to F3 car. then there is the driver & team merry go around

Dartman Vandoorne was the better driver last year i thought & had we had this qualifying last year he might be the double champion but it was a lottery then. Lewis Hamilton is perfect example of consistency. he may not have won or taken pole in 2nd of the season. but he outscored his rivals despite there 2 wins

20220814_202854.jpg

inwould arguably make vandoorne the 1st proper FE champ in its 8 yr history
That's a pretty sweeping statement, quite unfair on those thst have gone before and one that I think is incorrect.

Vandoorne scored 1 win and 213 points in 16 races which is 13.31 points per race.

In 2017/18 Jean-Eric Vergne scored 4 wins and 198 points with a points per race average of 16.5.

Vergne finished all 12 races in the points and for 11 of them he was 5th or better. I don't think you could possibly say he wasn't the true champion that season.

That's a pretty sweeping statement, quite unfair on those thst have gone before and one that I think is incorrect.

Vandoorne scored 1 win and 213 points in 16 races which is 13.31 points per race.

In 2017/18 Jean-Eric Vergne scored 4 wins and 198 points with a points per race average of 16.5.

Vergne finished all 12 races in the points and for 11 of them he was 5th or better. I don't think you could possibly say he wasn't the true champion that season.
yeah they are some good points & im aware its a bit harsh on 7 champions before especially buemi 2015/16 & vergne in 17/18. but it was the big issue with qualifying. as if you were top of championship. meant you were normally at the back of the grid. all it took get into championship contention was 1 good round jake dennis is perfect example of it last year, 15th in penultimate round 1 good round & finished 3rd in championship. as people that werent in contention were usually on pole just looking at the championship positions in 2021 when drivers got their pole, 24th 15th 22nd 10th 14th 14th 12th 14th 13th 17th 12th 12th 15th

this was the 1st year where best drivers were allowed to qualify well, you could compete at every track. instead of know you'll 2 bad days because you won last time so now you were in pot 1 & there is a different pressure. when the 1st year cream was allowed to rise to the top. you dont have the safety of your rival not allowed to qualify on pole & might get stuck in accidents. that why i couldnt be confident in saying that the drivers that won the championship. how much was talent, how was luck of the lottery.

Back
Top Bottom