Formula E News and General Discussion Thread

Its looking pretty likely that Mclaren will take over the Merc team for Gen 3 of Formula E and bring the name to the grid (with a Nissan powertrain). Would be another landmark for the series having such a famous F1 associated team on the grid.

I still maintain that if the people who owned Williams had any sort of forward planning and sense they would take over/enter a team in Formula E. They've been involved in developing tech from the start and would certainly give them the chance to regenerate the brand.

its been so long id forgotten about FE. i worked out that the gap between Mexico & Rome is only 2 weeks shorter than the end of 2021 season & start of 2022 F1 testing

The first race in Rome was great, what a shame C4 decided to only show it on their YouTube channel. Do track it down, some proper motor racing.

what is happening with channel 4, i thought that only 2 or 3 races were supposed to be on youtube but until sunday all races bar 1 had been on youtube

but i caught up on saturday after a busy weekend, the race at the front was brilliant. bit quiet at the start 1st 5 mins after the safety car, with Vandoorne just managing things. then i think at 1 point we had Vandoorne, Friyns, Da costa & Evans all leading within 15 mins. i Friyns had in the bag when he was leading having taken both attack modes. but the pace was weird at times. like what happened to da costa & de vries pace as it felt like in no time. they went from 1st & 3rd to 9th & 11th. assuming de vries was mechincal though

Jake Dennis. its quite surprising that after many years of 45 mins concept. that this added time is always catching out drivers on energy calculation where they are having to do an extra lap & dropping like a stone because of it

also another proof of qualifying working, 4 races 4 winners

It was ok, I note that they weren't posting laptimes, as I suspect it would show up how much slower they are than the F1 cars. It doesn't matter though, as they look to have reached the tipping point where they're too fast for good racing at Monaco. Which means they'll "race" there every year no matter what.

It would be interesting to see which of the formula's could still produce competitive racing at Monaco as we saw in the 60's even the infamous Mansell Senna battle showed the circuit has run out of room for F1

it was entertaining for monaco, unfair to compare it to last 1 as that was incredible, shame the safety cars stopped any race at the front because vandoorne got lucky with the attack modes that he cycled to the front with vergne taking it at the wrong time & then Vandoorne took it after lotterer crashed. so he was able to stay in front then evans was finding it tough to finish on the battery

to answer sobriety question, Pole was 1.30 very similar to the F3 cars, F1 is 1.10 F2 was 1.21

I case you haven't seen them, the Gen 3 cars have been shown off. They are a bit pointy, supposedly inspired by the latest generation of fighter jets. It will be interesting to see what they look like when the teams dress them.

1651691299221.png

Here's how they compare to Gen 1 and 2. Lighter, more powerful, and with greater re-gen capability. There is also a new tyre supplier, and they will have four-wheel drive. It is probably where F1 needs to be in 10 years as internal combustion engines disappear. What they won't have is the aero performance of the F1 machines.

1651691400066.png

It will be interesting to see how they perform on the tight, narrow street circuits Formula E seem to like.

Last edited:
Impressive increases in performance over the years and certainly a long, long way from the days of mid race car changes.

I wonder what the battery endurance figures are like for the Gen 3 cars?

shorter wheelbase cars can only be a good thing for tight circuits. they will be interesting bridge as they will be slower than F2 & but quicker than F3

Ultra-high speed charging capability of 600kW for additional energy during a race, almost double the power of the most advanced commercial chargers in the world.

are pitstops coming back

I case you haven't seen them, the Gen 3 cars have been shown off. They are a bit pointy, supposedly inspired by the latest generation of fighter jets. It will be interesting to see what they look like when the teams dress them.

View attachment 15558

Here's how they compare to Gen 1 and 2. Lighter, more powerful, and with greater re-gen capability. There is also a new tyre supplier, and they will have four-wheel drive. It is probably where F1 needs to be in 10 years as internal combustion engines disappear. What they won't have is the aero performance of the F1 machines.

View attachment 15559

It will be interesting to see how they perform on the tight, narrow street circuits Formula E seem to like.
Are you suggesting that internal combustion engines will disappear in 10 years? I think it will happen in about 50 years...

what an incredible ending to Jakarta E prix & the fear was from the management was if they changed qualifying it would make someone dominate the series, they couldnt have been more wrong 6 different polesitters & 5 different winners in 9 races, we have the championship top 4 separated by 12 points, which is looking a brilliant championship

what an incredible ending to the Jakarta EPrix it was entertaining race with great to see how the strategy played out & then with 8 minutes to go, Evans finds a way past Vergne & going into the final laps 3 drivers fighting out on the final laps, Vergne Evans & mortara couldve won & all couldve ran out, evans managed to hold out in great drama

Last edited:
brilliant marrakesh GP, maybe the best race we have had, action all the way because of the heat, Mortara won it in the early attack modes because of the heat after a bonkers 1st 10 mins he was the 1 that kept the lead

wehrlein what was that strategy, went for a energy conservation strategy & it backfired, i dont whether they got their maths wrong & anticipated an extra lap. started 4th was overtaken by teammate who started last with 10 mins to go was effectively last. in the final minutes he recovered up to 12th from 18th but he was closer to last place than he was to 11th

im loving the championship so far, it great to have best drivers at the front every race instead of the worst drivers with that ridiculous qualifying. its brought a real intensity to the championship. instead of what was in 2021 a lottery

hugely dramatic ending to New York E Prix, that is currently on channel 4 youtube

it looked like setting up for a good ending as there was nothing to choose between the top 3 cassidy di grassi & Vandoorne, all trading places, then 12 mins to go "is it that rain on the drivers eye of buemi" that interrupted B group of qualifying earlier , then within a few mins the rain meant you could see the spray of the cars. then on 8 mins it went full Nurburgring 2007 vibes. red flag came out

temp 1.jpg

it great drama to watch., as this huge short but sharp deluge hit the circuit & in the space of 1 straight, it went from slightly wet to them floating/aquaplaning in the braking zone. there was nothing any of the top 5 could do. because they were a passenger & wouldve been even had this happened on lap 2, but they were 35 mins in & the tyres were well worn by then . but shocking even to seasoned person to see cassidy crash & then get ploughed into by di grassi, Vandoorne & very nearly Mortara who somehow despite aquaplaning & hit the wall. managed to get to stopped spun around out of well populated run off area

in unusual circumstances recently in motorsport i think it was very well judged from race director. & i doubt there are many complaints, because the fairest decision was reached & cassidy winning was the fairest resolution.

because yes it was sunny literally 5 mins later, we all wanted to see the race to its conclusion but sometimes you have to be realistic. it wouldve likely been an hour wait at least. there was so much destruction, as jack nicholls said in commentary when the red flag was dropped. there were only 2 cars driving around the circuit at the time, but mortara was hobbling back & frijns who incredibly was the only 1 unscathed. so there wouldve been 17 cars to get back to the pits, mend in various states of damage & few barriers to repair

I only seem to be able to catch highlights these days, but some excellent races. The weather in New York for the first race was seriously odd.

Back
Top Bottom