Formula E News and General Discussion Thread

Perhaps one race of Gen 3 it's too soon to be critical, but it wasn't great compared to other events. Also, what's the deal with the blue LED's? I thought they were supposed to be on when the cars were running Attack Mode, but some cars just seemed to have them on all the time.
The software doesn’t seem to be working properly… Sam Bird was let down in qualifying by software failures...

Firstly, I don’t get why the entire circus went to Mexico for one day of running. Surely, with such an environmentally costly freight, the circus could have run for 2 days?
yeah im confused that calendar as well because since 2018 we have always been in diriyah for opening round. mexico is usually mid February not mid january, but this seems from reading to stem back to april 2022. & so diriyah was moved from dec 2022 to jan 2023. what was the 3rd race turned into the opening race

Secondly, I thought that this was the season we were supposed to have pit stops returning. From what I’ve read, this is being rolled out at a small number of events - but surely a race with F1 standard pits would be the perfect place to run the system? (I guess the tech wasn’t ready)

this i think is only trialed this season in 2 races. but i think it seems like the teams have got absolute mountain to climb with these new cars, without adding pitstops into this. we might not see what these cars are capable of until sao paulo

Thirdly, overtaking is really really difficult. Di grassi effectively managed To hold on to third, despite the fact that he was much much slower, by effectively driving very slowly around the hairpin, where overtaking was impossible.
yeah that was worry but mexico has always been 1 of the tougher grand prixs to overtake due to how fiddly it is. but as i was saying in my review. dennis & wehrlein pulling away with ease at 0.5/0.75 a lap once they found a way past. is a concern, but its surprising because the rear ends dont look any different, there hasnt been any more downforce or dirty air

just watching Diriyah Qualifying for Race 1 that i think starts at 5pm in the UK, (on C4 youtube or eurosport) fascinating group qualifying, in great Formula E style, you can learn nothing the Grid order in mexico, the dominant winner Dennis didnt make it in the duels & Di grassi only scraped through in 4th half a second off. then in B Jaguar Proving mexico was a blip & bird is top of the time sheets & evans in 3rd , Buemi is back at the front for the 1st time in what feels like years

but the reigning champions Vergne & Vandoorne, look like they are just a midfield team now & Venturi had a shocker, Mortara who a regular winner & championship contender in Gen 2, no points in Race 1 & both driver putting it in the wall & starting at the back for race 2

Welcome Back Sebastian Buemi his 1st pole since July 2019, after finishing 21st & 15th in championship last 2 years. i i knew he was too good to be a backmarker. the interview was interesting that he seemed very emotional with the serious doubts he admitted, you wonder if he had considered retirement

also i thought we would finally have got our 1st comparison between Gen 2 & Gen 3, as mexico added an extra chicane 2023, compared to 2022. but pole was 7 tenths slower 2022 - 1:08.6 & 2023 - 1:09.3. which must be to do with the dusty track & no support racing this year because the cars are 60kg lighter & the lowest power setting of 300kw is more than most powerful Q2 setting only used in qualifying Duels of 250KW

Porsches look very good in the races but not in qualifying. i dont know if its because they have the most efficient power unit, because they just seem to be the quickest, as they can push & still have more battery than anyone else Bird was fighting to stay in the lead he was 39% .Wehrlein & Dennis was on 41% that massive

Wehrlein qualifying 7th > 2nd last week & qualifying 9th to winning yesterday. then Dennis started 12th finished 2nd. at the moment its seems you would be an absolute fool to back anyone but someone with a Porsche power unit & a Wehrlein v Dennis Title battle seems quite nailed on already

although if i put 1 criticism against Wehrlein his run from 6th after the 1st corner to 2nd. he didnt overtake anyone used attack mode early & just passed them while they used attack mode. so it was good tactics but only overtook 1 driver on track

on the others its great to have sam bird looking quick if he went to 3rd, as ive always loved watching him race & i would say rookie mistake from mclaren but its most merc staff. 1.30 attack mode begind teammate. didnt swap harmed chances

watching race 2 & that powerunit is absolute beast, its mental how good that is, but im fasinating at what Dennis & Wehrlein are doing in that the team mates DaCosta & Lotterer cant replicate

what ever Bird's Energy Strategy is, in response to yesterday seems to be working. he's the only 1 to match the percentages we have seen only with the porsches & mclaren are Seemingly the opposite of Porsche. all 3 races qualified brilliantly & fallen like a stone in the races

Last edited:
I was very disappointed with the formula e opener for a range of reasons.

Firstly, I don’t get why the entire circus went to Mexico for one day of running. Surely, with such an environmentally costly freight, the circus could have run for 2 days?

Secondly, I thought that this was the season we were supposed to have pit stops returning. From what I’ve read, this is being rolled out at a small number of events - but surely a race with F1 standard pits would be the perfect place to run the system? (I guess the tech wasn’t ready)

Thirdly, overtaking is really really difficult. Di grassi effectively managed To hold on to third, despite the fact that he was much much slower, by effectively driving very slowly around the hairpin, where overtaking was impossible.

There were also too many safety cars, and they went on for too long.
I don't watch Formula E so I was wondering why you would need pitstops if they can run a whole race on the same set of tires.

I don't watch Formula E so I was wondering why you would need pitstops if they can run a whole race on the same set of tires.
id think, dont know if you know F1 races from the 2005, it would be like then it would be equilivant of re fuelling.

Thoroughly enjoyed both races. Think it just shows how bad the Mexico circuit is for any form of motor racing.
i dont know what the circuit people were thinking in putting that extra chicane in when mexico was already 1 of the most fiddly circuit on the calendar

It would be more realistic if they could run flat out and choose a battery change or quick top up, I'm sure the technology is there to make it viable
I always wondered why they never looked at that for the Gen 1 cars. It would have mad more sense to me to have the battery pack changeable instead of the two car shuffle.

loved this video of the ending with jake hughes ruining mitch evans race

temp 1.jpg

What this does illustrate is that there are elements of Formula E that still create massive unfairness. If Hughes runs out of allowable energy, he should just be disqualified. By having the car slow right down, it creates a dangerous blockage on the circuit.
yeah depending on the circuit could be dangerous with the closing speeds, the coasting is a grey area in the rulebook because i think they can run & finish on 0% but if they touch the accelerator at 0% then they are disqualifed

what a crazy E prix in india, 1 of the all time classics, a great enjoyable circuit, i would certainly catch it up, that took place at 9.30am GMT this morning

Last edited:
a race that was very enjoyable at the start, with Evans, Vergne, Buemi, all fighting it out, where jaguar had taken critisism for losing the lead & drop away. losing track position by taking attack mode early & not having the gap. before the race turned on its head on the 2 major parts of the race. & Sam Bird uncharisitally just completely outbraked himself going to the hairpin & smashed into his teammate. destroying both drivers races at their owners home race. Cassidy & Dennis couldnt believe their luck as all of a sudden 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th were gone. cassidy & dennis had jumped up to 3rd & 4th

then with 6 laps to go safety car came out after Jake hughes crashed into the barrier. then rast took out Dennis who was looking set for at least a podium & at least the championship lead, got taken out by a weird crash from rast where both had to retire. then the amazing closing stages where cassidy look when not if he takes the lead, but despite 4% less energy, going into the penultimate lap Cassidy was on 9% & vergne was on 5%. but vergne kept on hanging on for everything he had. he somehow managed to keep him back. to take his 1st win of the season

but outside of the 2 major parts the 1st 12 on the grid, something major happened to them
  • Evans taken out by his teammate when 3rd
  • Vergne was at a significant battery disadvantage on the final lap
  • Buemi finished 3rd but used to much power & penalised to 15th
  • Feneztraz, Gunther & Bird - Bird smashed into his teammate & in carnage the other where stuck with no where to go
  • Mortara outbraked him & lost his front wing had to pit
  • Rast took him & dennis out, by weirdly braking at the correct time & them accerlating into Dennis.
  • Rowland penalised for track limits

if you ask me, the FE race was a farce. Everyone was going Over track limits at the first chicane, but only a selected few were penalised.

The design of the circuit (with the kerbs) was launching cars and pushing them off the track…. It affected qualifying (What a farce to allow Vergne straight through to the final), and the race (every car was off circuit on almost every lap).

good point on chicane, it was madness that they didnt have some kind of deterent so they dont use it or just have a straight because nobody was using it. qualifying was a bit of stupid that vergne managed to get on the front row by other failings

Back
Top Bottom