Formula E News and General Discussion Thread

well alot changed since this morning. Vandoorne has lost his pole after his Merc was in breach of FE & FIA tyre regulations.

then we had clear skies & dry in qualifying to a wet race. which will help with energy as it will be alot less laps instead of 31. your probally talking 26 now

then we had clear skies & dry in qualifying to a wet race. which will help with energy as it will be alot less laps instead of 31. your probally talking 26 now
Um... F1Brits_90 - that's quite a prediction you made.... I've never seen such chaos, with all of the drivers being close to the energy limit, or alternatively, having run out of energy...

I wouldn't be surprised to see a whole set of disqualifications after the race.

Oh dear what a farce ending that was! FIA seriously messed up with that last energy reduction.

Was nice to see them in a circuit but it was a bit of a Micky mouse cut through in the end.

Enjoyed it - there is always something kicking off - but dear me!

just caught up as i had to work in the afternoon, that was bat :censored: crazy but ive always hated FE artifially recalculating it under SC for this exact reason. they are trying to meddle far too much, you dont see in F1 them take fuel out the car after SC. if there is a SC then thats a variable you have to account for. hope they will stop it or at least reduce to it to possible level. because FIA cocked it up massively proven by mercedes saying your underconsuming far too much & if the start line was 200m further up. he wouldve ran out

on the race i liked & at least it proved that the racing is far better when the circuit is much wider & people can overtake

Um... F1Brits_90 - that's quite a prediction you made.... I've never seen such chaos, with all of the drivers being close to the energy limit, or alternatively, having run out of energy...

I wouldn't be surprised to see a whole set of disqualifications after the race.
i know i did not see the 5 safety cars. but they were thinking that if it was dry like in qualifying that this was possible, as it wouldve been like the indy 500, with alot of slipstream to make the end. but instead the FIA ruined it themselves

Most of the cars are believed to have still had 40% state-of-charge (SOC) at the end of the race, which means they had more than enough energy to finish if the 52kWh limit wasn’t in place. Try explaining that to even a seasoned race fan, let alone a casual viewer new to motorsport!

Had the decision been made to deduct 3kWh in the last safety car instead of 5kWh, or even nothing at all, then it would have been the epic sprint to the line everyone was looking forward to.

Article 37.9 of the 2020-21 Formula E sporting regulations states that “the race director has the discretion to cancel this energy subtraction if deemed necessary”.

Last edited:
I can see why the reduce the energy on safety cars. The whole name of he game is saving energy for when you need to use it. For example in this one De Vries had 2% more than Da Costa and would have been able to go hell for leather attacking him in the last few laps. If you want to compare to F1 think of it more like tyres than fuel. If that advantage had been wiped out by a safety car I can see why it's not good for racing.

The problem we had here was that the race director obviously did not look at the situation properly - maybe assumed there would only be one more lap - and took away too much. Error at the top.

i agree he wouldve won agreed. how about if the safety car comes in. with under 5 mins remaining. they dont take energy or only take 2 or 3 kwh per min instead of 5

Well like you said - it's at the discretion of the race director. No set rule on it. Basically someone really effed up yesterday. They just automatically took what they'd took the times before without looking what it would mean.

I don't think we need new rules. We just need more clued up race directors. Bet it won't happen again now though!

yeah i hope so, but you can see how bad the calculations were yesterday, when today despite more laps & faster average speeds. with 8 mins to go they had the same energy as yesterday & with less than minute to go they had double the energy of saturday

but great drive from jake dennis, dont lead the race they said & he proved them all wrong.

Yeah good job by Jake Dennis. That BMW car has always been good I just don't think they have the right drivers. If Dennis is going to be it he needs to start scoring consistently now.

Have to say, and others will prob disagree, Formula E on a race track lacks something to me. I miss the narrow walls and the do or die lunges.

Perhaps if they let them race on the actual track rather than some neutered version of it we might see what the cars are capable of?

Race 1 was fun, still to watch race 2.

Have to say, and others will prob disagree, Formula E on a race track lacks something to me. I miss the narrow walls and the do or die lunges

having on street track would still be great, the danger was missing but they would need to find a way to widen the circuit. so that cars are able to overtake because the lunges are too risky normally end up with 1 of them nearly in the wall. to see them side by side was great

Just caught up with race 2. Not the most exiting FE race I've ever seen, but nice to see Stefan Dennis building a new career outside of Neighbours. Don't it make you feel good!

That's an old but great reference right there FB.

Didn't think it was Paul Robinson though - I thought given his team mates overtakes BMW had hired Punt & Dennis for the comedy value.

this is a rare day common sense in motorsport

FIA has now introduced an amendment meaning no energy reductions will be made beyond a new 40-minute cut off for the 45-minute plus one lap race timer.

statement supplied by the FIA to Motorsport.com read: “Following what happened in race 1 in Valencia, the FIA & the promoter do not wish to see a similar scenario happen again With that in mind, and to prevent any further risk of miscalculation in regard to the energy consumption, it has been decided to no longer apply energy reduction if a safety car period ends beyond the 40th minute of a race. “This will grant teams an additional margin for error, without detracting in any way from the spirit of Formula E, in which energy management is a key element.”

Last edited:
yeah i thought id posted that before, but yes i very fasinated by this because for 1 we get the 1st real comparison with F1 lap time & overtaking wise

Back
Top Bottom