Formula E News and General Discussion Thread

RasputinLives - I agree - although I'm still getting a bit annoyed by the lack of driving standards - the number of times that drivers are squeezed into the walls is terrifying... Sam Bird was a bit of a target this weekend, but others were being hit left right and centre

The Artist..... the driving standards from lotterer needs looking at. the stuff he constantly doing would make nikita mazepin blush. when slammed sims into wall

& di grassi. hero to zero. i think he thought he was racing in formula bumper cars. took out de dries & serves a drive thru penalty. came out & then whacked into bird

Last edited:
I actually think that's what makes the series unique. It's all about coming through the field and being in striking distance come the end of the year. Easy to lead from the front but once you've took your chances you've got to keep scoring

There are teams and drivers that are really good at it. There is a reason a Teechetah driver has won the championship 3 years in a row. They know how to manage it. It's also the reason Audi have not dominated and Merc are slipping away this year. They aren't set up for it. Some drivers are great at it. Bird is always coming through the field for instances.

Personally I enjoy seeing the top drivers have to deal with scraping a good quali and having to come through to grab as many points as they can. Now Mortra has hit the front I'm interested in seeing whether he can keep in the title race under more difficult circumstances. Also I'm interested that Rene Rast is going quietly under the radar but is def a contender.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea but I think it's a fun different thing to watch. I've got F1 if I want to watch the top two drivers in the top two positions all the time unless there is an accident.

Rene Rast has been very good but in the same way Lando Norris has been good in F1. this going to be harsh but it wouldnt feel desevered if he won the title. by having 1 podium & finishing 6th regularly. looking at the stats all champions have been on podiums 5 times & 4 of 6 champions have won 3 races. but probably should have patience because every winner has deserved the championship.

i wonder if they should tweak qualifying, maybe have 3 groups of 8 & superpole to reduce the disadvantage of leading the championship or even have a normal qualifying because, looking at the free practise results its normally jumbled up anyway without the need to to put leaders in group 1

I get where you're coming from. The qualiy format is not a hill I'd die in but I don't think it's a big a disadvantage as it's made out to be. It's an easy thing for drivers and teams to blame. I'm 100% sure if they ran this quali format in F1 we'd still get Hamilton and Verstappen on the front row for the majority of races.

Let's remember that Felix Da Costa managed to navigate through it at Berlin last year - and Buemi did it all the time a few years back. It just means a driver has to really hit everything perfect. It's just really close in Formula E.

Probably jumped before he was pushed. Rowland is a very exciting driver to watch but his repair bill is high!

Just on Nissan, what's up with Moose these days? Busy concentrating on WEC rather than Formula E perhaps.

that is surprising it cant be his own decision because Nissan look a better bet than mahindra as sims & lynn have been average. his reputation is on the up looking at how poor Buemi has been this season

Mahindra are a strange one because they have had seasons when they've had an on form driver where they have look like genuine contenders.

As for Buemi - there was a short period of time when he was probably the most in form and best driver in the world, it all seems to have gradually slumped since then which is probably the downside of a purple patch. Having said that, where Formula E is concerned, I don't think the Nissan has ever quite been at the top of the pile car wise.

It's the double header in New York this weekend. I will be astonished if we end up with the same winners we had in 2019, who were Buemi and Frijns (in case you had forgotten).

ill be able to watch race 1. but race 2 might be difficult & clashing with something important to nation
Screenshot_20210709-173430_Sky Go.jpg

good win for Gunther, impressive energy saving still be 1 of quickest on track & then great opportunism to nab vergne when he overtook cassidy.

18pts separating the top 10. DS techeetah proving the adage, never count them out as Jean Eric vergne has always had the pace but not got the results & here he is at the business end of the season just 4 pts of the lead of the championship

Frijns would be a nice winner as he always been a highly rated driver, but because he doesnt have country backing him he has struggled. & virgin/citroen team deserve a title for performances over the last 7 years

di grassi doing a honda, starting to look competitive as soon the manufacturers decides to pull out, it been a Few years since ive seen him qualified/raced this well & in top 10 in consective races. probably back.to season 3 or 4

mercedes have been very disapointing, looked so strong at the start. disappeared without a trace

Such a great drive yesterday by Sam Bird - he was faultless all the way through - and now leads the championship...

However, herein lies my bugbear with Formula E... In spite of being almost nowhere for multiple rounds of the championship, suddenly, he's leading the championship simply because no-one else is being consistent either!

yeah i was surprised at bird lead the title from being in 13th in championship. there is some unfulling about it. if they went 5th to 1st it would feel more "deserved", also drivers probally have more frustration because they could probally take disappointment if they knew it was their fault. but knowing that driving with 1 arm behind your back before youve began must be tough to take. But as i said before that despite everything & its drawbacks. every champions has fully deserved it at the end no-one lucked in to a title. Piquet, Buemi, Di Grassi, Vergne, Da Costa are all quality drivers

interesting Nyck de Vries is the 1st driver to complain & its strange that its a new driver that has put not 1 of the long serving drivers

Victory from pole in the season-opening Diriyah E-Prix boosted the 2019 FIA Formula 2 champion to the top of the standings, and he retook the lead after scoring an unlikely win in the first Valencia race following the critical energy levels suffered by much of grid. But the Dutch racer has now scored just two points from the last five races, a drop off he blamed on the Formula E qualifying format rather than a decline in Mercedes pace. When asked whether he was worried about the low-scoring form following the first New York City E-Prix in which he finished 13th,

“It's just a set of circumstantial situations caused by the game. Of course, we make mistakes, and we are responsible for our mistakes which we do. But ultimately, the biggest problem is the qualifying format.” “If you if you're in group one, the best possible qualifying position was P11 on Saturday. Normally in group 1, apparently, the disadvantage is so big that it's just tough to be inside top 10. You're in the back of the grid & in all this mess. 3 races like that, what can you do? Of course we have our responsibilities, & we need to always do better as a team. But I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong on our side. It's just part of the game. If you look at the championship standings, there are almost 12 drivers within 19 points. You can say it's exciting but for me, it's artificial.

Last edited:
Nick De Vries is spitting the dummy out purely and simply because he has never been a driver with the skill to navigate through a field. He likes to lead from the front and he isn't able to do that in this formula.

I don't mind the jumps in the championship lead as much because it doesn't really mean that much. It's like a leader in oval racing, it's lovely for them it is, but your eyes are always back looking at the the leading pack and who is shaping up to get it at the end.

The guys to watch in the championship race right now are Felix Da Costa and Robin Frinjs who have been consistently scoring points through out the season and stalking their way up the field - both had exceptional drives in race 2 doing just that. The likelihood is after London we'll have another championship leader, but my money is on those 2 still being near the top of the board.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom