Formula E News and General Discussion Thread

Has there been any feedback from the stewards about Lynn's crash?

To me it's about racing room and understanding the if you close the door and take someones front wing off, it's their fault for sticking their nose in, if you close the door and put someone into the wall it's you being dangerous - if you're not sure you can do the former without it becoming the latter, you've messed up and need leave a tiny bit over a cars width for them to come through if they're brave enough.

From what I saw last year the standard of IndyCar when it came to blocking and track limits on road circuits was way worse than Formula E.

In bizaro news this is a new one on me:

DS Techeetah get to play the stock exchange and could either make millions or make nothing. Very new money! Like it.

Oh and rumours of Alpine entering a team next year using the Nissan power train and the Lotus team name are really stepping up.

i dont know if it still, but i remember i watched it & the no blocking rule was there for entertainment purposes but had a good side effect. but it might be champ car that im thinking as it was a while

Ford is international, GM has withdrawn to USA and the far east, GM in Europe is PSA in partnership with the French government, whether the French government is allowed to partake in competition is moot, but it is French :rolleyes:, but they do F1 with Renault, sorry Alpine but both the French and the USA companies will attempt rule changes that will benefit them. The FIA will need to grow balls in Extreme E or it will end up like F1 with Mercedes, at least Mercedes originally worked their way into F1 with a few apprenticeship failures.

yeah really enjoyed that race, action from start to finish, & i believe 11.30am for race 2 which might be a bit wet for the start looking at qualifying

very weird race for the top 4 where they all went out for different reasons vandoorne crashed twice neither his fault, lotterer crashing into vandoorne, rowland getting a unfortunate penalty & di grassi car conking out. Sam bird overtaking was outstanding to go from 13th to 2nd & that crash at the end really spoilt his race as he probally shouldve gone on to win, but glad everyone was ok as it was unlucky 1 to lose it on bump avoiding the ailing di grassi, then de dvyes having nowhere else to go

Some great performance throughout in that one. Can't think of many who had a bad race (although Da Costa didn't turn up). I think what made it such a good race for me is that all the action was at the front for the lead. Barely had time to look at what was going on down field as it was all kicking off for the win! It's what you want in Motorsport!

I still think that there are a number of flaws with the rules in Formula E - particularly the rules relating to safety cars...

Since the races are time-limited, safety cars can massively impact on the race, since Safety Car laps are much slower than ordinary laps, they disproportionately take out "race-laps"... Since they race on street-circuits, you would expect many more accidents needing safety cars than other series - but if there's an accident that needs a safety car, it can easily take out a quarter of the race!

Interesting. What would your solution be on this? They can't stop the clock because the cars are still using energy and charge going round the circuit and therefore would run out. One of the reasons they have timed races rather than laps is because the circuits vary in speeds and lap distance so much that if they had a standard distance (like other formula) you'd have some races being 30 mins long and some and 1 hour and 30 mins long. It also adds in a tactical element of them having to figure out on the fly how much energy to use in order to get to the end. As they are now crossing the line with 0.001% sometimes it is a real test and creates good racing.

I don't like races ending under the safety car either (although have to say with Rome race 1 I was stunned we only got the one!). Not sure what the solution would be. You could red flag and stop for every safety car incident but feel like that would be jarring.

RasputinLives - I'd go with one of (a number of) solutions:
  1. Let the safety car lead all of the cars to a set point (behind the safety car line), and then stop the race.
  2. Run to a fixed distance (Many other formulae do this very successfully). (If the circuit is particularly slow, you could reduce the total amount of energy that can be used during the race, and shorten the distance).
  3. If you want to run time-limited races, they should be done on circuits where safety cars are very unlikely.

saw it this morning & the 2nd race didnt really hit the same heights for me as the 1st. i think it was too stop start & driver standards left alot to be desired. the 1st stoppage i think di grassi was maybe at fault, its hard to see because we only see the end of it . but from the bit i could see he chopped buemi & with the closing speeds i dont know what else di grassi expected.

then worse 1 of the lot Rowland was pot calling the kettle black. he had bit of a go at lotterer & then 24 hrs later tried 1 of the most desperate moves ive seen from a driver in motorsport. at least lotterer was alongside vandoorne. he was nowhere near. just pure desperation to regain quickly what he lost from the attack zone. also following on from diryah i thought the attack zone was better placed made the battle 50/50 instead of on the tightest corner on the track

on the 45 mins + 1 lap point it is weird, because when they started for the 1st few season it was laps then 2018? they moved into time, but both part have their pros & cons

The time thing has been used by various other series before but it's usually when a series runs on the same day as other series so races don't over run and schedules mess up. I'm pretty sure it's to do with the differing lengths of tracks, the differing speeds of tracks, energy consumption and making sure each Formula E race is a standard little time package for TV. Be interesting to see if they switch it again when Gen3 comes along.

Agree Race 2 was not as good as race 1 bit still enjoyed it. Buemi managed to hit Di Grassi and Frinjs this weekend so must have decided to go round opening old wounds. Mercs and the Jags look like the best cars but are just getting caught up in the field. Very quiet weekend from Felix Da Costa.

More proof for me this weekend that, whilst he can be quick, Werhelein cracks under pressure.

Have to say I enjoyed Rome as a track. Not sure if it was camera angles but the cars look way faster than in previous season - some of the squirming under braking for the overtakes is really fantastic to see.

yeah da costa has been very anonymous. but then it was an odd way he won the title because if suited templehof airport you were sorted

Last edited:
It's the Valencia e-Prix this weekend but just to show this isn't f1 they aren't racing round the docks. This time it's a proper circuit don't you know, all 2.5 miles of it. Apparently they race motorcycles round it. Who knew there was motorcyle racing, never watched it myself.

Here's the big build up from the FE website - 2021 DHL Valencia E-Prix | FIA Formula E

And here's the Wiki page on the circuit so you can compare how fast an FE car is to a GP2 machine from 2006 - Circuit Ricardo Tormo - Wikipedia

Note - this race is not to be confused with the Valentia Hardman event, even if Sam Bird is driving - Hardman Sprint Valentia - 750m Swim, 20k Bike, 5k Run -Hardman Events

im going to be fasinated with this weekend because we are going to have much wider track. from 8-9 meters to i believe 13 meters. ive been wanting to see them race on wider tracks for so many years now. ever since the paris farce

i thought for a while that alot of FE problems come from narrow circuits. because its a struggle to overtake because its single file in many places. which then brings the issues of attack zone because a mix of easy to lose places on attack zone & hard to overtake defeats the object its trying to achieve.

then like a few times like in rome last time out. you need other driver to give you the place as if 1 doesnt concede your going to have a crash. so all in all im expect far better racing, alot more overtaking & car that will win on merit, not because its very tough to overtake

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom