Formula E News and General Discussion Thread

2 things - i forgot about a great story vernon kay told about his 1st ever time presenting Formula E, he said he's in the pit lane & the gallery comes in his ear & says the feature we were going to play is effectively corrupted & wont play we need you to fill 9 minutes. he was saying how he was panicking as he thought my 1st time in the pit lane i know nobody & ive got to fill 9 minutes, my underpants werent same after that LOL
-------------------------------------------------------------
also more fantastic coverage from motorsport broadcasting & absolute must follow on twitter
As part of the new deal, most races in Asian and European time zones will air live across Channel 4 and All4, with the remaining races, including the season opener in Diriyah next Friday, airing on Channel 4 Sport’s YouTube channel. Based on the current schedule for the 2021-22 season, fans can expect around 10 of the 16 races to air on Channel 4’s linear channel, a significant increase on the BBC’s previous commitment.

Any news on whether it will just be showing live on the YouTube channel or if it will be there for a rewatch? The problem with live YouTube sport is that they pull it down after it airs due to airing rights and you can't go back and watch it

i dont know about the rules of rewatching & what could happen, i assumed it would be up for at least the rest of the evening. but i guess we are looking at All 4 / 4od for the rewatching

I had a scout around regarding broadcast viewing figures for Formula E. Initially it seemed very positive with a lot of crowing about last season having the highest viewing figures since the series began.

Digging more deeply however, it turns out this is a red herring. The cumulative total of viewers was the highest but when split out into a viewers per race total, it was a different story. The viewership of 21 million per race is back to season 3 levels.

Having free access to FE is one thing but without proper promotion and being broadcast on prime channels then it's never going to develop further.

You know what, I never realised I was paying for Eurosport, but it is a part of the "basic" package on Sky. You live and learn.

Eurosport is a funny one as you can get it on Free to air but probably not in English, it is not a channel on either Freesat or Freeview as Sky seems to have the UK rights, it was free until Sky went to Astra2 then it went into pay to view, I was surprised Eurosport agreed to this

i am looking forward to this season because winning the series or challenging the title will be much tougher & far more pressure because you will have to be good every race. instead of being good at 1 in 5 & we are going to see how good these drivers really are & who really is the best. because as great as the series was, 1 good race or weekend & all of a sudden you went from 13th to 3rd

really enjoyed that qualifying. it will be bafflingly why it took them so long to get rid of in my opinion potentially the worst qualifying format of all time. as for the 1st time (in some drivers case) 5-8 years you got to see how quick they were over 1 lap & as there was nowhere to hide

i enjoyed how the commentarors/pundits finally been allowed to be honest

Any news on whether it will just be showing live on the YouTube channel or if it will be there for a rewatch? The problem with live YouTube sport is that they pull it down after it airs due to airing rights and you can't go back and watch it
as it stands you can still watch qualifying now. which bodes well which means as long as your internet is in Britain you can watch on demand

Just seen it advertised that the race is live on CH4 tomorrow at 4:30pm.

Edit: confirmed the race is live on CH4 at time stated above.

Last edited:
yes RasputinLives the 2nd race & a further 7 + 2 london races will be on main channel 4

just seen it on youtube it worked well & with a connected tv easy enough to find, although they completely lost the sound between 5 & 10mins to go

entertaining race, enjoyed it yes like F1 with the mercedes domination at the front LOL the battle towards the end between 3rd & 9th was fun, & im impressed that formula e bosses have seen issues from last season & have sorted them out i thought new safety car rules was great addition instead of computer removing %

yes mercedes worry me but all i ask for is fairness & their is nowhere to hide for drivers as if your quick enough you have a chance going into every round. not ive won this race thats the next 5 races wrote off, also it helps the drivers themselves because de vries may have won the title but because of circumstances you cant tell how much was luck how much was skill.

Its got teething issues but given there were a lot of complaints about the clock still running whilst they were under safety car its a step forward. Its all about making sure they don't all get screwed on energy like that race last year.

I don't like any sporting event thats in Saudi Arabia but i enjoyed seeing Formula E back. First race was a bit bleh but enjoyed the second race a lot. Its always fun to see the fastest driver in the fastest car get pulled back into the muck and completely panic. Its a shame the race finished under safety car but I think the dead man would have won anyway.

Enjoying the Envision green livery. Very Jordan 1991.

Its got teething issues but given there were a lot of complaints about the clock still running whilst they were under safety car its a step forward. Its all about making sure they don't all get screwed on energy like that race last year.

I don't like any sporting event thats in Saudi Arabia but i enjoyed seeing Formula E back. First race was a bit bleh but enjoyed the second race a lot. Its always fun to see the fastest driver in the fastest car get pulled back into the muck and completely panic. Its a shame the race finished under safety car but I think the dead man would have won anyway.

Enjoying the Envision green livery. Very Jordan 1991.
I think it just needs to be clearer when time will be added on and when it won’t. It took roughly 15% of the race time to clear the stranded car, (7:30). If that had happened mid-race, time would be added on. If it happens at the end of the race (when the extra race time would be useful), there isn’t time added on.

Personally, I’d have suggested that FE needs a very low bar for a red flag, because of the time limited nature. Otherwise, races will more often finish behind the safety car (and it opens up the way for manipulation of results).

Back
Top Bottom