Status
Not open for further replies.
From the most reliable of sources ever - wikipedia

- Youngest driver to lead the WDC
- Most points in a debut season
- Most pole positions in a debut season
- most wins in a debut season (shared)
- most conesecutive podium finishes from debut

Probably most podiums in a debut season as well, he has 1 more than villeneuve, does anyone match/beat him?

In fact given the way his career has since unfolded he will likely go down in history as the record breaking rookie.

The problem that they both have is that this particular part of F1 history is being written by Vettel a three times consecutive world champion and in those three years Lewis hasn't come close to even finishing second behind him in the WDC and will therefore not go down in history as being his main rival, in fact in Vettel's three year run only Alonso (Twice.) and Jenson (Once.) have finished runner up, and even worse for Lewis (As far as the history books will read.) is that the year before Vettel's three year (So far.) reign, it was Jenson who took the tittle from Vettel, now put on top of that, that Lewis is not likely to be challenging next season and an F1 drivers career is finite, it is hard to see Lewis being remembered as anything else but the 2008 world champion and even that wasn't an emphatic win...

And so I say again nether of them are likely to rewrite the F1 history books and indeed nether of them are doing so at present...

It is impossible to rewrite history books without finding and correcting an inaccuracy in historical documentation or by eradicating truth to be replaced with fabrication.

What they are all doing at the moment is writing history. When we glance at historical data with no prior knowledge then the first thing we see are the championship standings. When we look deeper and analyse the data we see two drivers where one has more wins, more podiums, more pole positions, more leading championship final results, more overtakes, more fastest laps, higher average finishing and qualifying positions and so on. That is just the positives. If we then look at the negatives we see a driver who has had more mechanical failures, more mechanical retirements, more team failures, more personal adversity.

So Lewis has had more of the worst and more of the best and still comes out on top.

We can then look a little deeper and actually watch the races, at which point it becomes subjective.

Alternatively to all of this, we can decide not to look deeper at all and judge the book by it's cover. An opinion of a book based on it's cover will never stand up against an opinion about a book based on it's contents.

I think of the two Hamilton has the biggest chance of writing the history books with him moving to Mercedes. If they become front runners with his help then he'll definitely be part of the books. It's either that or a huge failure.

Edit: ExtremeNinja when writing the history books they're not just looking at Button and Hamilton though, they're looking at everyone. I know this thread is about Button vs Hamilton but in this context I think it's better to look at the wider picture.

Compared to Button he has him beat in the number of podiums etc. but compared to the entire field there's one particular guy who has him beat at nearly everything (over their entire careers up to now). I guess you know who that is.
I think it's safe to say that right now none of them (Button and Hamilton) are writing the history books.

Vettel is certainly making more marks than anyone in the record books at the moment. All of the drivers are writing history at the moment, of which the record books are a part. Three drivers in particular will have staring roles and fill the most pages in this chapter. Jenson will also feature greatly but often as part of the Lewis Hamilton story.

I don't think any of those drivers will be overshadowed. I guess we are looking at pride and place in the hall of fame and where you would respectively hang their pictures. The only fair way to do that would be objectively by the numbers. Then it is subjectively up to the viewer to make what they will of the stories behind the records and draw their own conclusions.

Adrian Newey has gone too far with the latest upgrades

17403-771982-20100414001523.jpg

Sebastian Vettel and Red-Bull: world champions 1950 - 2012

This " Hamilton/Button" thing does my head in. If you're a fan of either, good luck to you. But to put in boxing paralance, Larry Holmes has the greatest (modern day) record of any HW. A fantastic fighter who just did enough to win.

Long story made short: Give me a free ticket to a Larry Holmes fight or make me pay to a Tyson/Ali fight ????

Guess it's time to talk to the Bank manager.:snigger:

That is very presumptuous of you ExtremeNinja maybe Lewis will just be a part the the Jenson's story or maybe they will each have their own story to tell just like every other WDC after all nether of them can claim to have made the other what he is.....

Maybe Jenson will go down in history as the man who entered the lions den and drove the lion out to claim the pride.

Maybe Jenson will be known as the only driver in the history of the sport to be without a drive at Christmas, drive for a new team that only lasted one season and took that team to both the WDC and the WCC, that is the most unique piece of history right there, and has the most chance of never being repeated.....

I don't mean to make presumptions of the future and I see how the language I have used could mislead. Please take my statements to mean from what we know at this time. The future is not yet written and time will enable us to tell more of the story. This will in turn bring further context to what we know now. I think to predict the future is a different realm to making comment on the past and present.

[Edit]I accept and understand that we all have our hopes of what will be and for each of us that may be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom