Head To Head Lewis Hamilton vs Valtteri Bottas

I agree with vintly. It's the dominant team that's so boring, it's not the fault of a driver, who drives flat out. We need better teams, and closer racing.

I have just been reading that Hamilton wants an end to Data sharing. So he doesn't want to share with Bottas, I wonder what that implies.
I wonder if he's thought that through, after all it works both ways.

But it's in the team's interest to make both cars as fast as they can be. So I doubt his request will be granted.

It actually exposes one of the key dilemmas for the future of F1, namely reconciling the business that it is in reality, with the ideal that (some) fans imagine it to be, perhaps naively.

Nor is rarely sound the phrases that it is necessary
so the result of more dependent on the pilots themselves
and not from theirs teams

I agree with LH that certain data shouldn't be shared between drivers. I race in the Rotax Max series and at some point may represent my country at the World Finals. I would be pretty upset if my team shared my data with other drivers on my team. Sure, share my tire pressure or alignment settings, but don't tell them where I'm braking or what my line is.

I race in the Rotax Max series

Apologies for going wildly off topic.

Ohhhh, they're rotax 122 engines, are you guys using the delorto vhsb34ld carbs still? If you are, is playing with the needle the right way to go to eliminate the 5-6k rpm flat/dead spot?

(don't worry, I'm not a rival kartist, I just have a couple of rotax engined aprilia motorbikes...)

And to bring it back on topic. One of the mercedes drivers will be faster than the other this year.

To be fair, Lewis has been very open with his, and indeed his team mates data in the past. I think we have all seen some...

Being serious though, i think he has a point to a degree. Share set up, engine mode and safety info, but line, braking points etc, to me is part of the art of a driver, and pushing and trying new lines takes skill. The best drivers will generally rise to the top by working these things out, but to have a team mate effectively be given that which the other driver worked hard for seems like ot could be stopped

Andyoak Mezzer agree but it did help he somehow was shielded from all the political infighting so he can concentrate on the track and Todt and Brawn were responsible for that

-----------------------------------------------

the data sharing issue I think the issue is Mercedes play it so down the middle that there is little flexibility for the drivers to make an impact to change the results because they know all the data

Remember Hamilton has experienced this with Alonso who realised Hamilton was using his own set up to beat him so decided not to share data back in 2007 and his results were less consistent

All the top drivers have played this card to gain superiority over their teammate especially when they feel they are getting to close for comfort

Schumacher as soon he thought Herbert was quick decided he would not allow him access to his telemetry

Rossi in MOto GP put a dividing wall to stop Lorenzo having access to his data when he was a threat

I think he's right. I think they should set up on their own. I think Bottas (who Isn't too shabby on set up) would say he was right too. Merc on the other hand will say they have to share. Got to protect those 1-2s. We've seen time and time again that's their priority.

Well maybe Hamilton has been speaking to a few people and heard that Bottas has a better brain capacity to process information than Rosberg did is also a worry for him
---------------------------------------------
The way Mercedes are doing it makes the racing close but also at times uninspiring and not gripping because Hamilton probably thinks he is being held back by the rigid race strategies both drivers must run to

It really is quite simple behind the posturing. The team and its sponsors pay the drivers' wages, not the other way around. It's in the team's interests for both cars to be as competitive as possible. The team jas access to each driver's entire data so there isn't much point in any driver insisting on not sharing data because in reality they have no way of preventing it anyway.

It's a team's sport first and a driver's sport second. That's the way it's always been and the way it will always be. Drivers are replaceable, teams less so.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom