Head To Head Jenson Button vs Lewis Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as this thread is pretty pointless (as it won't achieve anything) can we try and keep it on topic.

Cheers

FB

This " Hamilton/Button" thing does my head in. If you're a fan of either, good luck to you. But to put in boxing paralance, Larry Holmes has the greatest (modern day) record of any HW. A fantastic fighter who just did enough to win.

Long story made short: Give me a free ticket to a Larry Holmes fight or make me pay to a Tyson/Ali fight ????

Guess it's time to talk to the Bank manager.:snigger:

If you're counting Ali as a modern day heavyweight then no way does Holmes have the greatest record.

I agree I certainly have a better backside than both Jenson and Lewis provided you like a bit of rump.

My point Mr Ninja is that you area bit blinkered in saying their is a 'clear' winner for that is your opinion. You are also being blinkered about the stats saying there is a clear winner because it is your opinion. People with the opposite opinion to you may argue the points total stat at you. Others will argue that there is only one driver who's reputation has improved over the three years and yet more will argue there is only one of them in a team with a chance of the championship next year.

Others will share your opinion and point out many other stats

Some like me will say it was a very close thing and I'd prefer to sit on the fence.

So I think its anything but clear.

As for the history book thing, well history can be a funny thing. Four times world champion Alain Prost has to play supporting role to Ayrton Senna. No one has a good word to say about three times world champ Nelson Piquet.

and just to prove stats don't mean everything I'll ask you who you think the better driver is; Jean Alesi or Jacques Villneurve?

I don't see why when I express an opinion that you feel it a personal attack on your freedoms to have your own opinion. There really is no need to lay into me like that.

If you read my posts then you would see that I made a very clear distinction between the stats, which are factual and therefore objective, and the story behind the stats, which is subjective and therefore opinion.

It is the stats I refer to when I talk about there being a clear winner [Edit],in black and white terms.[/Edit]

With regards to the story behind the stats, we can differ on our opinions of those as much as we want. There is absolutely nothing "blinkered" about that.

The stats show an extremely narrow win for Hamilton; if those were election results they'd be looking for a coalition with Gary Paffet to try to get over the line.

From my perspective, the "story" shows Hamilton is the better driver, but that the gap is far smaller than I thought it would be.

Thread edited as it was turning into another personal meta discussion - can we please keep it on topic folks.

Thanks

FB

Button's stats (in my humble opinion) suggest that he has picked up results on several occasions due to Hamilton's misfortunes, which make the difference between them look narrower than I believe it to be. Hamilton has not benefited similarly to anything like the same extent, as Button's misfortunes have mostly occurred when he was behind Hamilton anyway.

teabagyokel that's not quite what I meant, although there is an element of that.

I was thinking more of the numerous occasions when Lewis was leading the race and retired through no fault of his own, such as at Abu Dhabi. There, Jenson even gained a place on the grid from Vettel being sent to the back, yet Sebastien still finished ahead of him!
Even so, Jenson gained points from Lewis' retirement that he wouldn't otherwise have had. This (in my view) has happened a number of times this season, but not the other way around. Nothing to do with any weakness or lack of 'Savvy' from Lewis who has, if anything, been driving better than ever this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom