Pre-Season Winter testing : 2014 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you fill the side pods with helium to make the car lighter and then let it out at the end of the race?

The Pits Some of the turo teams tried that with fuel in 1984 didn't they? They'd "refrigerate" fuel prior to the race, so that the tanks could fit more fuel in than the regulatory 220L-capacity would allow at ambient temperatures. The worry wasn't so much fuel management as the straightforward fear of running out of it a few laps before the race.

Am I alone in finding something slightly ironic about these two Autosport articles in succession?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112517

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112519

Have to say I never heard of anything like this rule, and I can't help finding it a tad concerning.
"Reliability Break"? Whatever next?
What on earth is that all about? The rules are the same for everyone at the beginning of the season aren't they? Why should they be altered because one of the teams, or manufacturers, is worried about their reliability?

Yes I know, but I meant I never heard of anything like that before this year, or whether it's ever happened before. Is this a precedent?

Anyway I still find it ironic to see the way Renault are making noises about how confident the are to sort out their problems before the next test while almost simultaneously prepearing themselves for having to invoke the rule.

Last edited:
re: Renault 2008 At the height of "engine equalisation" yes (a pretty drab concept if you ask me, when it comes to FORMULA ONE RACING but there you go...) in order to overcome their power deficit, but engine reliability? I mean, why not just adopt US-inspired "yellow-flags-when-the-leader-is-too-far-in-front while they're at it?

The main reason that the additional equalisation process was needed is that Ferrari and Mercedes had found ways to gain a significant amount of performance under the guise of reliability updates to their engines. The FIA therefore let Renault catch up and tightened up what was allowed to be changed for reliability reasons.

One of the most frustrating things about the new engine regulations is how tightly constrained they are, beyond the short term it's unlikely that there will be major differences in performance between the engines. Anyway, all of this is probably a discussion for elsewhere - there's a V6 engine thread for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom