Pre-Season Winter testing : 2014 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
LifeW12
Does it matter how many people there are at a race track? In my opinion, no. Bernie and the the teams don't care to much either, there main income source is from selling the rights to broadcast F1 and not selling mercandise on GP weekend. I am sure that most of those people in the picture are journalists and/ or photographers anyway. And for the rest it is a cheap opportunity to experience an F1 car, especially for the locals, who are still dealing with the countries economic struggles.

I don't care about the crowds myself, I don't turn on the TV to watch people cheering, falling asleep, taking pictures of themselves, etc., on the grandstands but to watch a motor race.

The McLaren rear wishbones look a bit more aerodynamic from this angle:
BfUE_96CIAAL0ln.jpg

Indeed. A much more useful pic', that. It confirms my thought that the "blocker" thingy isn't linked to the suspension which would be illegal as they are only allowed to have six suspension elements per side and any shrouding is also limited. Also, it shows McLaren are within the reg's as regards to the wishbones. I think the TR's actually allow more of an angle of "attack" for the aero' shaped wishbones. It's not very easy to tell for sure but the upper wishbones look quite flat in relation to the horizontal reference plane.

I'm not sure sure yet, as I'm trying to find more photos, but it looks to me like McLaren have been trying out at least two different versions of the "blocker" winglet thingies. The mounting and shapes look to be different in a couple the photo's I've seen. I'm disinclined to keep on talking about it on this thread and after some further investigation I'll post in one of the tech' threads.

Well, I think that all the cars with a Mercedes engine in the back will be feeling reasonably positive. A few teething problems, but ending up with a good amount of running.

Ferrari too.

Renault runners (Caterham aside) I think will be on the back foot, and 4 days behind the others. I have no doubt they will get things sorted, but possibly at the expense of something else, and they will be less likely to be able to focus on performance improvements until test 3.

I will be honest, I am not as overjoyed as some, as I would rather all the top teams were competitive, and I shall reserve judgement until the end of the season, but sometimes it is nice to see the balance upset a little. And interesting to see how Red Bull can cope with being on the back foot!

LifeW12
Does it matter how many people there are at a race track?

To be honest, the only reason that it matters is that the number of people at the track is the only way for the track to make revenue from the GP weekend. All advertising is sold by Bernie, and all the TV money goes to Bernie, and of course the track has to pay an inordinate amount to host the race... As such, if a race is to be able to survive without (say) massive government investment, it needs massive crowds. Racing in an empty house is unsustainable for circuits... Still, Bahrain will keep paying the bills as it is massively oil rich, and wants to maintain a certain status.

However, look at Turkey; great race track, no-one watching, therefore the bills couldn't be paid!

They're all top teams and racing in F1.

Caterham and Marussia have just as much right to be at the sharp end and winning races as the 'traditional long standing teams' of Ferrari, McLaren and Williams.

Red Bull were no different than Caterham and Marussia in 2005 - 2007 yet it seems to be assumed they should be at the front for ever. They should only be there on merit.

Now it's Ricciardo saying (amongst other things) "It's good to have time away from the track". Then why bother turning up at all? I mean, there's spin and treating us as stupid. RBR have problems which at the moment look fairly severe and seem to include at least one that will need a lot of redesign.

We know that they have loads of money, a great designer (although not always fastest out of the blocks) and Christian Horner but also they have lost several of their top engineers since last season.

IMHO Caterham and Marussia have every right to be in F1 but they face another very steep uphill struggle this season. Both came into F1 as utterly new teams (as Lotus and Virgin respectively) with no recent heritage on which to build. Even Caterham's guise as Lotus bears very little semblance to the original Lotus outfit. In contrast, Red Bull bought an existing midfield team, Jaguar (which had been Stewart Ford and a couple of other outfits before that), so their starting point in F1 was completely different.

The current minnow teams can be best compared to Minardi in terms of resources and their problems with moving up the running order will likewise be similar. Hopefully the customer power units they are using this year will help. The Marussia looks pretty good aerodynamically so who knows, maybe with a little luck here and there ... Can't say the same for Caterham, though as I'm not sure what the designers were thinking about with their flying brick approach. Nevertheless, I for one will be more than happy to see the two teams upset the apple cart from time to time.

i know Red Bull have not done any serious mileage but the next testing session should give pointers if its a Renault problem or a Red Bull problem when Lotus show up and we can see two similarly powered Renault engine cars together

Red Bull did say they were busy trying to win 2013 championship especially when the old Pirelli s came back

---------

For now there is hope that Vettel is not going to turn off fans this season like last year after the start of a race

So ... Is Renault sandbagging?
If so, it surely must be the first time in motor sports history any team have gone so far as to set their own cars alight in the attempt to convince the competition they were not competitive.

From the rumblings I am reading, I think Renault's position at Jerez was that the customers (principally Red Bull) owed it to their engine supplier to make the good faith effort to make do with what they were provided. But that having failed, the oneness will be squarely on Renault. From this point forward, Horner and Newey will be bringing out the long knives where Renault are concerned.

Last edited:
I'll still believe the Red Bull demise when it happens. They missed the first test in 2012 and still dominated.

I'm playing around with basic stats to make a championship out of testing here. The system I'm using makes Ferrari and Mercedes the "winners" of the first test, but with Ferrari slightly ahead. Red Bull finish dead last with even Marussia managing to get ahead of them.

I would believe the Red Bull demise more if we saw a slow Red Bull with no problems. What we're seeing is a car that can't make it round the track now, most likely because Newy is pushing the limits. As Red Bull have shown in the past they always sort these problems eventually (even if it takes to mid-point in the season) and then we'll actually see what the Red Bull can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom