The Olympics 2012

Size of population has very little importance.What is important is the level of facilities in any of the countries taking part.

Surely these go hand in hand quite often. Larger countries will naturally have more resources (tax income) to pour into Olympic training facilities than smaller ones.

I believe sporting heritage is a big factor in a country's success. Countries usually dominate the sports that they've focused on for several decades.

Victoria Pendleton is through to the final in the sprint.

Trott was 3rd in the second last event in the omnion. She is 2 points behind with only the final sprint remaining. Needs a win and a bit of bad luck for her opponent.

Doesn't quite work that way.
The economy of India is the eleventh largest in the world by nominal GDP and the third largest by purchasing power parity (PPP).[1] The country is one of the G-20 major economies and a member of BRICS. In 2011, the country's per capita income stood at $3,693 (International Monetary Fund), 129th in the world, thus making a lower-middle income economy.[10]
Population
below poverty line 29.8% (2010)
(Note: 32.7% live on less than $1.25 a day
68.7% live on less than $2 a day)

Interesting fact: The USA have won 64 medals so far and a whopping THIRTY of them were in swimming! Nearly 50% of their entire haul in swimming! For my eyes, Team GB's haul seems far more evenly split.

Excellent result for Laura Trott.
She had to finish three places and at least 0.6 seconds in front of Sarah Hammer, and did so in style.

It's worth noting that she had (has?) asthma - I've always said that sport and exercise should be prescribed more for asthma, running certainly cleared mine up.

Just watched the video of Chris Hoy's race - what a way to win it.
Even though I knew the result I still thought he was going to lose it but he dug deep and managed to hold on.

What a fantastic games our cycling team have had with the only disappointment being the men's road race.

Anna Meares of Aus couldn't have been any more unenthusiastic about her opponents medals if she tried. Pff. Smile you bint!

Extremely unimpressive by Phillips Idowu off the track and on. What a waste of time. "Maverick" or not, piss poor on all fronts.:dunno:

Back
Top Bottom