The Olympics 2012

Phillips Idowu failed to qualify for the triple jump final.
Unsurprising really considering how he has approached the whole event.

Idowu has revealed in an interview that he requires surgery, not wanting to put the guy down but surely if that was the case he should have allowed someone who was fit and capable of giving their best to compete?

Andy Pozzi failed in the hurdles due to a hamstring injury that he incurred earlier this year, he thought he had to give it a try & much the same for Javellin contestant Goldie Sayer she had injured a ligament & had strapping to her arm.

On a positive
Andy Turner won his heat in the 110m hurdles & Laurence Clarke qualified 2nd in his, the final is tomorrow

The Triathlon cycling has almost finished but Johnny Brownlee has a 15 sec? penalty but brother Alistair is leading on the last lap to transition

mjo Apparently as little as a week before the games the GB Olypmic Officials were trying to gain access to his medicl records to see if they should be calling someone else up. He didn't attend the official training camp and now reveals that he requires surgery after the games are over for himself. To me that sounds like someone trying to avoid being dropped in favour of another just to appear at the games rather than someone who believed they were ready to give it their all for their country.

I know I may be missing some of the information here as there is also a history of him falling out with the Olympic coaches etc, but at the end of the day I would rather see someone who is fit and well giving it their best and getting a personal best than someone who is really not as good as thy should be who may place higher but doesn't put in the effort everyone else has.

For me the Olympics are not all about the medals but about pride and doing your best. If Ennis hadn't won the gold I would have been just as proud to have her represent our country as she set a personal best for her score. What made me just as proud was the young junior athlete who competed against Ennis for Team GB and set a junior record for a UK athlete in her first major senior athletics appearance, yet she is not worth praising so highly in the eyes of the press because she didn't get a medal?

It is like some of the athletes who gain a Bronze or Silver medal, some of the coverage and press has been down on them with comments of "such and such only got a bronze". Now if you consider that 99.99999% of the populace of this country probably wouldn't even qualify for the heats let alone getting a bronze, or coming in fourth or fifth out of the whole olympic field, yet they only get a bronze? I think it is great that GB athletes are there and qualifying, it is an amazing achievement for them to get into the finals of each event, for them to come 3rd out of the Olympic world in their chosen event is something that we should be celebrating loudly. Or should we mock the people who are there competing and have fought to qualify just to come last? Those people who know they don't stand a chance of even getting past the heats but are just as proud to be there for their countries as those like Bolt who can stroll through their races and get to the finals with little effort?

Edit : Sorry, I know this is worded a little strongly, bad day. Though the intention of the message is clear and think it should stand :)

Gold and Bronze in the Triathlon.
Alister 'walked' over the line for Gold.
Johnny took Bronze despite having to do a 15 second penalty as well.

A great result in the triathlon in what is arguably one of the hardest events - running 10km at that speed is impressive anyway, never mind after a 1.5km swim and a 43km cycle ride.

Edit: We are guaranteed at least 48 medals now due to boxing, which is one more than we got in China.

That's also not fair as in certain events only a single entry is permitted, so it would have to be GB or Germany or France, etc.

Percentage of population is probably fairer, comparing against the level of development too.

What a splendid Olympiad so far. US dominated in the pool. GB dominating in the Velodrome. China dominating in, well, other random stuff.

As for the NBC "Primetime" coverage......don't even get me started. They treat the primetime viewer as if they've been living under a rock for the past couple years, let alone THAT DAY! At least they stream every single event live over the internets so if you really want, you can see everything live. But they treat the primetime (8PM-12AM) coverage like a freaking reality show. They do a bunch of puff pieces on the athletes they already know won medals, and then show their performance, followed by maybe one or two others. It cant really be described as "Olympic Coverage".

They have provided extensive basketball and soccer coverage however. They set up several dedicated channels for those sports alone, and I think they have aired every single match for those two sports.

Size of population has very little importance.What is important is the level of facilities in any of the countries taking part.
Some of the smaller countries have next no nothing in terms of facilities for their athletes to trainon.To say nothing of financial support that some of the wealthier nations can offer their participants.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19144983
But as Britain basks in the glory of what is shaping up to be the most triumphant Olympics for Team GB in more than 100 years, it is worth reflecting for a moment on the reasons behind the success.
Talent, punishing training regimes, pride in a home games and fervent support have of course played a key part in so many record-breaking performances.
But, in the end, as cynical and unpalatable as it may sound, the main reason behind the team's overall success is cold, hard cash.
Medal bonanza
In the Atlanta Games in 1996, the British team won a grand total of one gold medal, and 15 in all.
The following year, National Lottery funding was injected directly into elite Olympic sports for the first time.
The return was instant. In the Sydney Games of 2000, the British team won 11 golds - the first time Britain won more than 10 golds since the Antwerp Games in 1920 - and 28 medals in total.

Back
Top Bottom