Grand Prix 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Following a week's break after the thrilling British GP, we're off to Hungary, which traditionally marked the final race before the summer holidays. However, with a reshuffle of the calendar, it's now the penultimate race of the first half, as Spa has been shifted from the first race of the second half to the last race of the first half, the Hungarian Grand Prix is often a captivating statistical event.
  • Hungary hosted a Grand Prix within 12 months of receiving the green light after securing the rights from Bernie. They selected Mogyoród for its natural bowl shape, which offers spectacular views. Construction began in October 1985, was completed by July 1986, & the race took place on the 10th of August, 1986.
  • The 1986, 1987, and 1988 races were the only F1 races to be held behind the Iron Curtain, a region Bernie Ecclestone was eager to include. & i believe only 1 of 4 major sporting events that took place behind the Iron Curtain. 1973 European Cup Final, 1980 Summer olympics & 1984 Winter Olympics
  • The inaugural event attracted 200,000 fans, setting the highest attendance record for nearly a decade. It wasn't until 2014 that another race took place in the former Eastern Bloc, with the event in Sochi.
  • The Hungaroring boasts the second-longest continuous streak of hosting F1, having been on the calendar since its inaugural race in 1986 & will continue to until 2032. The only circuit with a longer history is Monza.
  • The Hungaroring also has a weird Knack of bringing maiden Achievements for drivers more than anywhere on the calendar. 8 drivers have taken either their Maiden win or Maiden Pole Position at this track Damon Hill, Fernando Alonso, Jenson Button, Heikki Kovalainen, Esteban Ocon took their Maiden Victory & Thierry Boutsen, Max Verstappen, George Russell collected their 1st pole positions
  • Interestingly if You win in Hungary you don't win the title only 3 drivers since the turn of the millennium have won at the Hungarian & the F1 title in the same season. M Schumacher, Hamilton & Verstappen
On this weekend another race where we go in where 7 drivers & 4 teams all arrive thinking they have a great chance of a victory. after 5 different winners in last 7 races & 4 different polesitters in the last 5 races, who saw this coming even in shanghai. The forecast predicts quite a hot weekend, with temperatures in the 30s and no chance of rain. However, social media videos suggest that there was an almighty storm yesterday that caused disruptions during setup.

Last edited:
One thing is for certain, McLaren have got themselves in a right old pickle over this. As I said I haven't watched the race but have picked up on the story and it's created a pretty problematic precedent in the team.

It would be amusing if Norris lost the title by fewer points than the gap between first and second.

Are McLaren now planning on swapping their drivers around every time a team mistake hands an advantage to one over the other?

What would happen for example if Piastri lead for a decent chunk of the race while Norris has to fight his way through the field after getting Verstappened on the first lap. Norris gets up to second and is closing on Piastri. Piastri pits and should come out comfortably ahead but a mechanic has a mind fart and he comes out in second. Does the team swap their drivers around in this scenario?

Every similar situation to Hungary could be scrutinised. I bet that would make for a lovely working environment.

One thing is for certain, McLaren have got themselves in a right old pickle over this. As I said I haven't watched the race but have picked up on the story and it's created a pretty problematic precedent in the team.

It would be amusing if Norris lost the title by fewer points than the gap between first and second.

Are McLaren now planning on swapping their drivers around every time a team mistake hands an advantage to one over the other?

What would happen for example if Piastri lead for a decent chunk of the race while Norris has to fight his way through the field after getting Verstappened on the first lap. Norris gets up to second and is closing on Piastri. Piastri pits and should comes out comfortably ahead but a mechanic has a mind fart and he comes out in second. Does the team swap their drivers around in this scenario?

Every similar situation to Hungary could be scrutinised. I bet that would make for a lovely working environment.
I think the next few races will be telling
Last year Mclaren were not good in the main race.
Spa should be Red Bull territory but that team everyone is mad at each other right now.

I suspect that if 1-2 is on they will help Lando claw points back

What would happen for example if Piastri lead for a decent chunk of the race while Norris has to fight his way through the field after getting Verstappened on the first lap. Norris gets up to second and is closing on Piastri. Piastri pits and should comes out comfortably ahead but a mechanic has a mind fart and he comes out in second. Does the team swap their drivers around in this scenario?

Not as lovely as the one at Red Bull right now...anyone know if Max has been accused of bullying and using foul mouth abuse yet , ths Red Bull HR department mighf be flooded with complaints

Just had to revisit the post race discussions from Austria this year, specifically what Max said about Lando on his attempted passes into turn 3:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Also a few of those are really late dive bombs [from Norris], so it's a bit of just sending it up the inside and just hope that the other guy steers out of it.

“It's not always how you race, but I think it's just the corner here that lends to that as well."

In further questioning on the penalty being applied to his case, Verstappen again highlighted his rival’s attacking actions.

“That's what I meant with the dive bombing,” he said.

“It's just standing it up late and just hoping that the other guy steers out of it and you make the corner, which wasn't the case."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pot? Kettle?

Mr Pastry’s win at Hungary has created a very interesting situation for Perez.

It’s rumoured that Perez’s contract has a break clause if, after the Belgian GP he is more than 100 points behind Verstappen, and lower than 5th in the championship.

In order for Perez to be 5th after Spa, he will need to win the race, with Piastri not finishing, or winning and setting the fastest lap, with Piastri finishing no higher than 10th…

We could see a new driver in that seat after the summer break…

We will see a change at Red Bull surely Mclaren 1 -2 each race with Piastry backing Norris that is 10pts gained per round plus you would think mercedes and Ferrari will come back as well to take points off. Red Bull could be on the ropes

I would laugh if

Some of the Red Bull go on strike or resign after what Max said and behaved

Some of them make a formal HR complaint about Max

Mr Pastry’s win at Hungary has created a very interesting situation for Perez.

It’s rumoured that Perez’s contract has a break clause if, after the Belgian GP he is more than 100 points behind Verstappen, and lower than 5th in the championship.

In order for Perez to be 5th after Spa, he will need to win the race, with Piastri not finishing, or winning and setting the fastest lap, with Piastri finishing no higher than 10th…

We could see a new driver in that seat after the summer break…
i was thinking that on Saturday as he came into these back to back races having to outscore Piastri by 7pts & instead dropped even lower behind hamilton.

it seems its inevitable

Still shaking my head over the fact that Max didn’t receive a penalty. He received a penalty (and deservedly so) for an incident in Austria that seems mild by comparison. The Hungarian GP incident was so much more blatant, conspicuous and potentially dangerous. The guy was completely out of control—with his wheels so locked up and smoking there was no chance that the car could turn! It was so absurd for Max to claim that that passing move was on because he had to brake so impossibly late for his banzai move that there was no way that he could keep the car under control for making that corner. There was no way that he could turn that car with the wheels so locked up and smoking and carrying so much excess speed (and he had plenty of room on the inside to go through if he wasn’t so out of control)! It’s fortunate that Lewis wasn’t farther along in his turn in because the incident could then have been much uglier. Max is dangerous and by again not penalizing him the FIA continues to enable him.

Been thinking about Hungary again. The FIA stated that car 44 could have done more to avoid the incident. The fact is that had car 1 not dive bombed, locked up and lost control of his vehicle, car 44 wouldn't have been put in the position where he had to take avoiding action, ergo, the incident should be apportioned 100% with car 1 and penalty applied accordingly.

Plus - last night I watched the AD 2021 SC restart for the first time since it happened. I'm 46, I've watched a lot of F1 (I recall my first races being 1991 British and German GPs) and I can safely say I have never seen such a case of fixing in all my years. I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but I really do believe there was more to it than we are "officially" told.

i still believe that norris will gain more points by letting piastri win & keep him as a friend. if he is still in championship range because Piastri will be more willing to swap positions when we get to the Americas & middle east final races

but time will tell
I think so given what was agreed pre race was held on just and I think the fault lies with Mclaren for a bungled pit stop strategy

i still believe that norris will gain more points by letting piastri win & keep him as a friend. if he is still in championship range because Piastri will be more willing to swap positions when we get to the Americas & middle east final races

but time will tell
I actually think the team order period begins now. McLaren have been inching closer to Red Bull, and my sense is they felt they could be the best of the rest. But after this last weekend my guess is they know they can win this. And they have had a very long draught of championships. Mercedes is ascendant again. This is their best chance to win the championship as a customer team. They know this. My guess is that the conversation with Lando and Zak, and between Stella and Piastri will have made this clear. My guess is Piastri will be good with it. He doesn't have championship aspirations yet. Plus any objective person can tell that when you look at the championship table, Lando is the only realistic challenger. Next year will be a different story.

Been thinking about Hungary again. The FIA stated that car 44 could have done more to avoid the incident. The fact is that had car 1 not dive bombed, locked up and lost control of his vehicle, car 44 wouldn't have been put in the position where he had to take avoiding action, ergo, the incident should be apportioned 100% with car 1 and penalty applied accordingly.

Plus - last night I watched the AD 2021 SC restart for the first time since it happened. I'm 46, I've watched a lot of F1 (I recall my first races being 1991 British and German GPs) and I can safely say I have never seen such a case of fixing in all my years. I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but I really do believe there was more to it than we are "officially" told.
If Hamilton was to "blame" in any sense for the clash in Hungary, then equally, Schumacher was to blame for the accident with Hill at Silverstone 1995

I think everyone agrees that Hill was to blame in 1995 - so I don't understand why stewards don't see Verstappen to blame in Hungary...

See also Hungary 2021 - given the stewards' conclusion last weekend, then Norris was clearly to blame for the accident in 2021 (rather than Bottas) :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom