Olympic games

Not quite with Coe and Ovett, Ovett won and Coe came second but in the 1500 Coe won and Ovett didn't make the medals and never challenged again. If anything Keely Hodgkinson seems to have Coe's extra gear coming off the final bend.

Last edited:
FFS, I was alive in 1980.

Everyone knows to this day that Coe and Ovett spent so much time concentrating on each other that they turned their events upside down.

Ovett beat Coe in his best race and Coe beat Ovett in his preferred race.

It was the same tonight. Kerr and Ingebrigtsen fought each other allowing the American to win.

That's what I meant

I remember Coe was fuming with himself for leaving his attack too late as he was confident he was faster and said he wouldn't make that mistake again, and didn't, until he suffered from glandular fever and lost that turbo finish forever.

I remember Coe failing to make the qualifying time in 88 and one of the newspapers running the "Coe must go" campaign. You could send off for a badge

Suffice to say Coe didn't go.

1723054526052.webp

1723054552141.webp

that was incredible. for me the best track performance of the olympics. it was utter domination, & cant remember if when ive ever seen someone smash the olympic record by 1.3 secs

the only athletes ive seen that kind of performance from is a Bolt, Peaty & Ledecky

i know he's divisive, he says himself but noah lyles has grown on me. i dont mind a showman if he can back it up & 100m gold 200m bronze, fully expecting a 4x100m gold & challenging the Jamaicans all star quartet record. as they were a country mile ahead in the heats

I don't know what it is but I'm completely Olympiced out. It's probably down to the coverage but I've hardly watched any over the last couple of days.

Maybe it's all got too professional but there's very little joy in watching it. There's been very few heart warming underdog stories or comical moments for good or bad.

It's probably just me but I'm really not feeling it.

I don't know what it is but I'm completely Olympiced out. It's probably down to the coverage but I've hardly watched any over the last couple of days.

Maybe it's all got too professional but there's very little joy in watching it. There's been very few heart warming underdog stories or comical moments for good or bad.

It's probably just me but I'm really not feeling it.

You missed the rock climbing.

i thought this has been a brilliant olympics after rio struggle & pandemic tokyo 1. i would say this must be the blueprint of future olympics taking it to nations with a historic fanbase, to get that fan energy. should be if you cant get the Athletics stadium 70/80% full in the morning. then you cant have it

importantly repurposing existing venues. i think the only permanent building the french built for olympics was the aquatic centre for diving

If the reason for choosing a host city is where there is an historic fanbase that will fill a stadium from morning to night then the IOC are barking up the wrong tree with Los Angeles.

It's funny how,after 16 days of sporting competition, our only take away are a bloke who did his job perfectly well without the need for a shed load of expensive gear, a women who break danced like she was being tasered and the genetics of two boxers.

For me, this has been one of the most boring Olympics ever.

On the Aussie Break Dancer, have you read the background to why she did what she did? She see's break dancing as an art, not a sport, and by having it in the Olympics it is going to force the dancers to only do certain things, which she believes against the very nature of dancing. So it was a political statement against the inclusion of break dancing at the event. Her ambition was to prove you can dance, but get zero points, if you don't carry out the demanded skills and certain moves.

Oh, and she is the Oceanic Champion, so can "bust a move" if needed.

It was also very funny, especially when she did the kangaroo.

Yeah, I did read a bit about it but it didn't go into to the detail as you've explained it more clearly there.

I must admit I probably got the most frustrated with the subjective sports this time out. If you hit a target, cross the line first or throw something the furthest there's no argument as to who won.

Some of the boxing and Gymnastics scores left heads scratching everywhere. It's made worse with the quality of the commentating. Some commentators were able to explain exactly why points were awarded or taken away while others would just whip themselves up into a frenzy and then look nuts when there wasn't a world record score from the judges (I'm looking at you Matt Baker).

And for crying out loud, I wish they'd find something new to say when they commentate. It's cliche after cliche after cliche.

Back
Top Bottom