Olympic games

Matt Baker has been a presenter too long to be a commentator on a specific sport, if I want to watch a sport I tend shut out the noise of commentary they spend half their time creaming there nickers and the result is completely different

FB true but it America as a whole will have no problem selling out venues Unlike Rio

cider_and_toast sydney 2000 is amongst others is known for Eric the Eel, it always has it underdog Cult Heroes. but 2024 youve got Celine Dion, that amazing 100m final, Katie Ledecky destroying the field, 400m Hurdle woman taking 1.3 seconds of the olympic record & Le Marchand being most popular man in france

Lol

There are tough decisions to be made. Perhaps your favourite sport does not make the cut.

Swimming

OK, not all the swimming. But pretty much all the bits that are just weird forms of swimming. No other sport allows participants to simply do it backwards and call it a separate event with separate medals.

Lol

I tend to agree…

The only problem is that they have to build the swimming pool, so need to have sufficient events to motivate it.
  • Swimming - make everything freestyle, and have lots of different lengths. 50, 100, 200, 800, 1500, 5000m. Then use the same pool for water polo (not currently in the olympics) synchro, maybe also underwater hockey etc.
  • Boxing - I just can’t stand it
  • Race walking - why on earth is race walking a thing? It’s amazing how quickly the race walkers move, but is it really better than marathon running? Why not drop it and replace it with ultra marathons, or orienteering, or
  • All equestrianism - let’s ignore the fact that the horses have to be flown across the world, and exposed to all sorts of stress, but also it’s not the horses who get the medals, but the riders - even though it’s the horse that’s doing all the work!
Alongside this, cycling needs to be simplified - maybe all cyclists need to use a retail bike, available for a maximum price (e.g. £5,000), so that no cyclist gains a technological advantage.

Last edited:
That's just take the Olympics back to its intended purpose of using it to show who has the best warriors.

Much more fun.

Most aircraft in horse transport are near the end of their working lives, horse pee is highly corrosive to alloys, despite attempts to insulate the horse box from the airframe there's always some that gets through and seeps between frames and skin which is difficult to wash away.
These days of instant video replay of high quality it is time for judges to be made redundant, everything can be made in measurements and artistic content is just an opinion especially in gymnastics and ice dancing, not even sure the floor exercises in some areas are any more cavorting about the floor.
Cycling and sailing are interesting as both use very high tech materials and design, the cycles now weigh so little that it's mainly the human power and stamina that causes the win, I do wonder how many different bikes there are, are the ones used in the longer distance events stronger than the sprint bikes and are they all scrapped at the end of the games as they are only built to last that long, bit like Colin Chapman's Lotus, the ideal car breaks just after the chequered flag.
Sailing is going the same way, I think in the the days are numbered for any displacement boats, the future of yachting is the foil, it's spectacular and fast, the days have long gone in professional of instant panic at walking pace, now the participants need the same safety protection as most high speed motorised sports, hitting the water at plus 30 knots hurts and can break bones

I found this image on an article about the walk.

The first rule is at least one foot must be in contact with the ground - they get 3 strikes and then they're out.

The two men at the right of this image have both feet off the ground.
I absolutely guarantee that all competitors did so more than 3 times during the event.

1724160146388.webp

It's no weirder than swim dancing (or whatever it's called), the women's floor which requires dance moves, and whatever the fuck it is they do with those prancing horses.

Back
Top Bottom