The Olympics 2012

Just watching the pole vaulting and they seem to be struggling, the last 3 girls have all bailed on the vault. Think the windy conditions are worse than they look

Brogan - Today NASA broadcast footage from Mars closer to live than NBC broadcast footage from London. They cut the 7/7 "Abide With Me" tribute from their Opening Ceremony coverage, because America wouldn't go ape if anyone else cut a 9/11 memorial. I'm not even subjected to NBC, but I am angered by their flagrant disrespect for the Olympics, every other nation on Earth and, not least, their own viewers.,

Yes, I read that last week about the 7/7 segment.

Extremely disrespectful and one can only wonder what would have happened if, as you say, a 9/11 segment had been cut by us or anyone else.

On another subject, they just showed some old footage from the 60's of the men's 400m hurdles; every one of the runners was white.
These days it's rare to see a white sprinter, or even a long distance runner.

I don't want to get into a debate about race as it's more to do with genetics. I just find it interesting how things have changed.

Holy Bleasdale in the poll vote didn't look confident enough to clear the height of the mat let alone the bar. Very strange and quite sad to see some one crumble live on T.V.

It is interesting. There has been a study suggesting that the 'fast' gene you allude to is found in a majority of the Jamaican population compared to a minority just about everywhere else. All 8 100m finalists were African-Americans or African-Carribeans. (The Dutchman, Martina, is from the old Netherlands Antilles.)

The altitude in Kenya and Ethiopia probably contributes to their long-distance success.

Of course it works in reverse in swimming as it's very rare to see a non-white swimmer.
I suspect this may be due to bone and/or muscle density, as well as a lower percentage of subcutaneous body fat.

I should add I suffer from the same problem - I sink like a brick in water.

On the subject of the Americans and their selective cutting of the games I seem to remember back when the games were held in Atlanta and they had control of the broadcasting that they only showed the Medal ceremonies if there was an American on the podium, the rest were not even released so that other nations could broadcast them to their people.

Hows that for being disrespectful, to other nations?

Back
Top Bottom