The 2011 Season

Isn't this slightly ambiguous as well? Does this mean that a front wing couldn't be changed? Or could a team pit for bodywork damage AND a tire change. If it can be (Fill in the Blank) AND changing tires, isn't this rule irrelevant.

In fact, if someone needs to change a damaged component (if the SC is out this is no impossibility) this rule could be downright dangerous. What if Race Control dangle the "meatball" flag?

I don't understand that at all.

As for the green light at pit exit during SC, that always used to be the case in days of yore, except when the crocodile was actually passing the pit exit, in which case a red light would be shown (a la Canada 2008). If that isn't going to happen, then we will be in for some controversy. Needless controversy.

Sorry, this is completely off-topic, but I just saw the University of Leicester debating ad at the top of this page, asking the question, "Should Man go to Mars?".
And my immediate thought was that yes, at least Piers Morgan should.

Sorry, this is completely off-topic, but I just saw the University of Leicester debating ad at the top of this page, asking the question, "Should Man go to Mars?".
And my immediate thought was that yes, at least Piers Morgan should.

Piers is a personal friend of mine (albeit not a close one) and I share your view!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2011/03/welcome_to_the_first_edition.html

I was just watching the highlights for Monza in 2008 from this article and had a couple of thoughts. Firstly, it reminded me of why Lewis is such an incredible racer and i can't wait to see him tearing through the field this season. The one reason why i'm not too upset he is not starting the season in the fastest car - or so we assume.

The second thought i had watching this is about the drag reduction. Everyone is speaking whether drag reduction will be enough to make a pass into the first corner, where i believe it has been set for in the first 3 races, but watching these highlights it may have a much bigger effect on the corners that follow. In the highlights all passes were either made at corner 1 or 3. If drag reduction can only get a driver close at corner 1 when we go to monza, assuming that is where it is used, then they will be in a great position for corner 3 because they be closer enough to get a great slipstream on the run up to it.

Looking at Australia, this could be exactly the same for corners 1 and 3 there. As long as a driver can get close and stay there through corner 1 an 2, there will be a second opportunity with the long run to corner 3 with a good slipstream. Don't know if this has been mentioned before but could be very interesting.

What is the advantage of drag reduction expected to be over 600m. I've heard around 0.3 seconds, similar to the F duct?

The second thought i had watching this is about the drag reduction. Everyone is speaking whether drag reduction will be enough to make a pass into the first corner, where i believe it has been set for in the first 3 races, but watching these highlights it may have a much bigger effect on the corners that follow. In the highlights all passes were either made at corner 1 or 3. If drag reduction can only get a driver close at corner 1 when we go to monza, assuming that is where it is used, then they will be in a great position for corner 3 because they be closer enough to get a great slipstream on the run up to it.

Looking at Australia, this could be exactly the same for corners 1 and 3 there. As long as a driver can get close and stay there through corner 1 an 2, there will be a second opportunity with the long run to corner 3 with a good slipstream. Don't know if this has been mentioned before but could be very interesting.

That is a really good point, and if this seems to be the case, an enlightened drag reduction placement would be welcomed. For example, at Silverstone:

CTA.jpg

It may be better to put the line on the Hangar Straight rather than the Wellington Straight since no-one's going to pass anyone at Luffield, when compared to the penultimate corner.

That is a really good point, and if this seems to be the case, an enlightened drag reduction placement would be welcomed. For example, at Silverstone:

View attachment 1156

It may be better to put the line on the Hangar Straight rather than the Wellington Straight since no-one's going to pass anyone at Luffield, when compared to the penultimate corner.

It'll be interesting to see if they take it into account when choosing the zones for it. It'll be much more interesting for drivers to have more than one chance to strike.

The other possibility is, of course, that a driver uses his ARW to threaten the guy in front, forcing him to use KERS and then the attacker can use his KERS to do a Hamilton09!

The other possibility is, of course, that a driver uses his ARW to threaten the guy in front, forcing him to use KERS and then the attacker can use his KERS to do a Hamilton09!

Very true. It will be interesting to see how drivers use both KERS and the DRS. I'm hoping it doesn't become a distraction though. From the sounds of things there is already going to be a lot of excitement going on with tyres and all the pits stops, hopefully there won't be too much talk of the magic buttons.

P.S. Just had a little laugh over your disclaimer. LOL

I had been assuming that Hangar straight would be the designated DRS zone at Silverstone, it being the longest straight, but looking at the overhead shot reminds me that Stowe 'Corner' is these days more of an almost flat out fast bend. Is it enough of a corner to give the sort of passing opportunity that it used to? Even before the advent of the DRS I have wished for a while now that they would re-profile Stowe back to something more like the pre-1991 configuration.

I should point out that I won't be tracking engine and gearbox usage this season as part of the Race Hub data.

Anyone else is free to do so if they wish.

I should point out that I won't be tracking engine and gearbox usage this season as part of the Race Hub data.

Anyone else is free to do so if they wish.

Australian GP - all cars engine No1, gearbox No1.

I like to feel that I have contributed in a small way to keeping everyone up to date.

Australian GP - all cars engine No1, gearbox No1.
Not necessarily.

They may (and quite possibly will) use a different engine for FP1 and FP2.

Or there could be a failure and they have to replace an engine or gearbox.

If I remember from last season you can get some of the information from the FIA documents when they are released. A lot of it is down to educated guess work and spending a lot of time studying the teams twitter reports to see if they mention any engine swaps.

Back
Top Bottom