Grand Prix 2023 Qatar Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Ill start this with a question. what do Juan Manuel Fangio, Jack Brabham, Keke Rosberg & Nelson Piquet. all have in common

They've all been crowned as the F1 champion on a Saturday
Fangio 1955
Brabham 1959
Piquet 1981 & 83
K Rosberg 1982

As we all know Its Qatar this weekend, a circuit that is actually only 6 months younger than Bahrain as it was opened in September 2004, but until 2021 it was mostly used for Moto GP & World Superbikes. interesting Fact that at the time, the lighting of the Losail Circuit was the largest permanent sporting venue lighting project in the world until Yas Marina was built,,

Qatar like imola was just supposed to be used as a 1 off fill in for the covid pandemic postponements, as was the need for short notice replacements to boost the calendar length, but it has found a way to become a permanent addition & signed a 10 yr deal starting in 2023 almost straight after the completion of 2021 race, to increase the present in the middle east, with Bahrain, Saudi & Abu Dhabi

It seems very strange that we are incredibly only just coming into the 2nd half of the 6 sprint races this season despite being over 3/4 of the way through the season & likely will have a champion officially crowned on Saturday, unless Qatar has things in common with Singapore. i say crowning because he'd won this when he broke Perez sprit in Miami. as this weekend is the start of 3 sprint weekends in the next 4 races with Circuit of the Americas & Interlagos upcoming.

We can only hope we get a better 2024 because its funny that we will likely get an anti climatic crowning in 1 of the dullest F1 season probably since 2004 with Michael Schumacher, when Ferrari won 15 of the 18 races, but that isn't red bull fault Adrian Newey being the genius he is, is the only person who got these rules correct. but we can only hope for a better 2024 (although it cant get worse) but i feel that things will be more competitive either organically or manufactured to boost viewing figures & interest

last but not least what does Verstappen require to be officially crowned as world champion. really only 3pts & 2pts if he perez doesnt get fastest lap
Verstappen 6th in sprint, nothing else matters
Perez 2nd - Verstappen 7th
Perez 3rd - Verstappen 8th
Perez 4th - Verstappen Champion

If in unlikely scenario Perez wins the sprint & verstappen retires or finishes outside the top 8. for the race
Perez 1st + fastest lap - Verstappen 8th
Perez 1st - Verstappen 9th
Perez 2nd - Verstappen Champion

WEC cars have to have air conditioning. If F1 is to continue racing in super hot places they probably need to insist on cool suits for the drivers otherwise there will be a serious accident when one of them passes out.

Plenty of comments from the Drivers carried over into this mornings papers regarding the lack of driver welfare at the Qatar GP.

Thankfully they've got plenty of time to recover before the next race......

Oh wait.

It seems that the FIA can re-assess things after the fact, huh?

1697388983899.png

If they give Lewis an additional penalty that affects his starting position in the next GP or involves a time penalty then it will be clear that they are trying to prevent his coming second in the Championship.

its absolutely ridiculous that they are trying to overturn the stewards. because he's a rolemodel
LH was amazingly leniently treated in the last race. There was no sporting penalty for either being “predominantly to blame” for the accident with Russell, or the crossing of the track.

I was amazed that there was no penalty for either of these - but ultimately, having seen Red Bull sail a cruise ship through the regs in Japan with Perez’s time penalty, it would have been inconceivable for the stewards to penalise Hamilton for the next race…

LH was amazingly leniently treated in the last race. There was no sporting penalty for either being “predominantly to blame” for the accident with Russell, or the crossing of the track.

I was amazed that there was no penalty for either of these - but ultimately, having seen Red Bull sail a cruise ship through the regs in Japan with Perez’s time penalty, it would have been inconceivable for the stewards to penalise Hamilton for the next race…
he was punished i believe, wasn't it 50 grand with some more suspended. i guess he got confused with is it a live track if your under safety car conditions, but even then as chandhok, asks its a bit strange as did verstappen monza 2021 or Sargant in Japan get punished for walking across a track, because certainly the latter was under similar safety car conditions

he took the blame for incident, which was noble of him because he didnt have to, but for the sake of the team he did. like i say with any driver if you put it around the outside then your taking a big risk. because i still think he was entitled to go for that. because that move isnt new, ive seen that type of move numerous drivers go around the outside, last week, we'll see it this week, we've seen it at Suzuka, Shanghai, Sepang, Interlagos, Canada

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom