The 2011 Season

I agree, I think the rule is way too complicated. They should scrap all the if's, and's, and but's and just give the drivers a switch to use when they want to. The good ones will figure it out.

we need to observe the racing before making judgement IMO.

I agree with you here Grizz. Although I can understand the comments about this being a bit artificial in nature, I think it will be fascinating to see how these guys handle the KERS deployment, dropping the rear wing, making an overtaking maneuver, shifting, and hitting a precise braking point in the span of a few seconds.

This is just another variable to throw in the mix, and variables almost always lead to interesting happenings.

Initially I was with those who said that the wing was a bad idea and would make overtaking too easy and fake etc. One aspect of it though that I am really looking forwards to is the drivers getting into position to perform the overtake. Last season there was the ~2 second window of turbulent air behind the leading car, if this is roughly maintained (despite the double decker being banned) then it could be that the skill in the overtake is in getting to the position where the wing can be used. Clearly this isnt as exciting as pure overtaking manoeuvres but hopefully it still adds a level of skill. Add into this that the new tyres seem to be degrading faster, and that 2 second window is where degrading was at its worst - we could see quite a few different tactics, something else that has been missing recently. It could still be a terrible idea, but I'm willing to give it some time to see what it is like.

Probably the wrong thread but Liuzzi has been confirmed as the 2nd driver at HRT.

Finally we can update the data...

He must have the deepest pockets.. question is for how long
rolleyes.gif

Well if he has promised them a slice of the payoff he's due from Force India they might be waiting a looooong time.

Some changes announced by the WMSC.

Following a meeting of the World Motor Sport Council in Paris today (8 March), the following decisions were taken:

The World Motor Sport Council asked the Bahrain Motor Federation to communicate by May 1st at the latest if the Bahrain Grand Prix can be organised in 2011.

Amendments have been made to the Sporting Regulations for immediate application:

At certain events, one additional specification of dry weather tyre may be made available to all teams for evaluation purposes. Teams will be informed about such an additional specification at least one week before the start of the relevant event. Two sets of these tyres will be allocated to each driver for use during P1 and P2, and any such tyres must be returned to the tyre supplier before the start of P3.

One additional set of ‘prime’ specification tyres may be made available to all drivers. Teams will be informed about such an additional set at least one week before the start of the relevant event. In this instance, the additional set will be available for use during P1 and P2. One set of ‘prime’ tyres must then be returned to the tyre supplier after P1, and two further sets of ‘prime’ and one set of ‘option’ specification tyres returned before the start of P3.

The safety car speed limit (an approximate 40% decrease in lap time) will now be enforced over two laps instead of one. The purpose is to ensure that cars are driven at a safe speed until they reach the safety car.

During a safety car period the pit exit light will remain green for the duration, unless the race is subsequently suspended.

Other than when the safety car has been asked to use the pit lane, no car may enter the pits while the safety car is deployed unless it is for the purpose of changing tyres.
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/wmsc/2011/Pages/wmsc_080311.aspx

During a safety car period the pit exit light will remain green for the duration, unless the race is subsequently suspended.

Frankly, I don't want to allow this to be ignored! Does that mean that cars can feed into the "crocodile" at will, á la Montoya. What rules govern [bg=#FFFF00]OT[/bg] when feeding into a queue? That could be a nightmare, although admittedly less than red light DQs and crashes!

OT? On track? Please don't use such ambiguous abbreviations, they hurt my stupid brain:disappointed:

Whatever OT is, I think you're questioning where a car would be allowed to feed back into the pack in that scenario. It's certainly a confusing way to do things.

Overtaking, with the yellow background denoting Safety Car situations. I do apologise.

When I say Montoya, I'm referring to an incident in the 2005 Canadian GP when he jumped the red light and basically fought his way into the pack - don't know if there's any footage out there.

Anyway, it was not edifying and more pertinently, it was not safe!

...and if you were, you wouldn't use your subscription on this forum to back only 6 cars starting at the next race at your local turf accountant, would you?

That would be utterly farcical! I can't foresee that situation ever happening, it would ruin the credibility of the sport!

Other than when the safety car has been asked to use the pit lane, no car may enter the pits while the safety car is deployed unless it is for the purpose of changing tires.

Isn't this slightly ambiguous as well? Does this mean that a front wing couldn't be changed? Or could a team pit for bodywork damage AND a tire change. If it can be (Fill in the Blank) AND changing tires, isn't this rule irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom