Grand Prix 2023 Qatar Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Ill start this with a question. what do Juan Manuel Fangio, Jack Brabham, Keke Rosberg & Nelson Piquet. all have in common

They've all been crowned as the F1 champion on a Saturday
Fangio 1955
Brabham 1959
Piquet 1981 & 83
K Rosberg 1982

As we all know Its Qatar this weekend, a circuit that is actually only 6 months younger than Bahrain as it was opened in September 2004, but until 2021 it was mostly used for Moto GP & World Superbikes. interesting Fact that at the time, the lighting of the Losail Circuit was the largest permanent sporting venue lighting project in the world until Yas Marina was built,,

Qatar like imola was just supposed to be used as a 1 off fill in for the covid pandemic postponements, as was the need for short notice replacements to boost the calendar length, but it has found a way to become a permanent addition & signed a 10 yr deal starting in 2023 almost straight after the completion of 2021 race, to increase the present in the middle east, with Bahrain, Saudi & Abu Dhabi

It seems very strange that we are incredibly only just coming into the 2nd half of the 6 sprint races this season despite being over 3/4 of the way through the season & likely will have a champion officially crowned on Saturday, unless Qatar has things in common with Singapore. i say crowning because he'd won this when he broke Perez sprit in Miami. as this weekend is the start of 3 sprint weekends in the next 4 races with Circuit of the Americas & Interlagos upcoming.

We can only hope we get a better 2024 because its funny that we will likely get an anti climatic crowning in 1 of the dullest F1 season probably since 2004 with Michael Schumacher, when Ferrari won 15 of the 18 races, but that isn't red bull fault Adrian Newey being the genius he is, is the only person who got these rules correct. but we can only hope for a better 2024 (although it cant get worse) but i feel that things will be more competitive either organically or manufactured to boost viewing figures & interest

last but not least what does Verstappen require to be officially crowned as world champion. really only 3pts & 2pts if he perez doesnt get fastest lap
Verstappen 6th in sprint, nothing else matters
Perez 2nd - Verstappen 7th
Perez 3rd - Verstappen 8th
Perez 4th - Verstappen Champion

If in unlikely scenario Perez wins the sprint & verstappen retires or finishes outside the top 8. for the race
Perez 1st + fastest lap - Verstappen 8th
Perez 1st - Verstappen 9th
Perez 2nd - Verstappen Champion

I genuinely had no idea there was a GP this weekend.

I haven't seen any advertising or pre-press for it either.

you know it was only on Wednesday i realised cider_and_toast watching some darts & they had an advert. "can max become a 3 time world champion in qatar, find out this weekend " i replied yep next question

bless sky sports for trying to keep some jeopardy , but then theyve paid 200m for a forgone conclusion LOL

mercedes & ferrari have let red bull off the hook Hugely but it does feel abit like adrian newey has found something in these rules no-one else has. bit like brawn double diffuser

Surprise Surprise Perez qualifies 13th. What a waste of a seat.
perez you wonder what hes going to blame this on. to not make Q3 8 of 18 races in 1 of the most dominant cars on par with mp4/4 is absolutely criminal. even this qualifying will become meaningless because when verstappen finishes top 6 in sprint it will be all over. unless he has good start to the season you dont see how he completes full 2024 season. interesting interview skyf1 played out from albon pre qualifying where he's says it's no secret norris has an open invite to join red bull

ferrari lack of pace is a surprise here. but i know keep banging on about it. but thats what id love from F1 to have such unpredictability. you never know where you are. in the last 5 races sainz been on pole twice & out in Q2 twice. ferrari were miles ahead of mercedes in Suzuka & now flipped on its head

i think that's the 1st time ive seen Norris make a mistake since sochi. because to get done quite clearly for track limits on both runs is a uncharacteristic error. i wouldve thought he wouldve driven within himself & got a banker in on either run

oh stroll. but i don't know what to say because this has happened so often. its feels like everything that could be said. has been said. the break between 23 & 24 will be fasinating. almost as much as this interview. it might be straw that broke the camels back

has something been said by his dad, did he figure out on his own as he succumbed to the pressure that was building. or is horrible realisation that he gave his best & was second off his teammate. but he looked dejected, he wouldnt be the 1st driver to be demoralised by a week after week getting beaten by Alonso. Massa & more suitablely Vandoornes F1 career never really recovered. Vandoorne being outqualified at 26 consecutive races

Last edited:
ferrari lack of pace is a surprise here. but i know keep banging on about it. but thats what id love from F1 to have such unpredictability. you never know where you are. in the last 5 races sainz been on pole twice & out in Q2 twice. ferrari were miles ahead of mercedes in Suzuka & now flipped on its head

i think that's the 1st time ive seen Norris make a mistake since sochi. because to get done quite clearly for track limits on both runs is a uncharacteristic error. i wouldve thought he wouldve driven within himself & got a banker in on either run

oh stroll. but i don't know what to say because this has happened so often. its feels like everything that could be said. has been said. the break between 23 & 24 will be fasinating. almost as much as this interview. it might be straw that broke the camels back

has something been said by his dad, did he figure out on his own as he succumbed to the pressure that was building. or is horrible realisation that he gave his best & was second off his teammate. but he looked dejected, he wouldnt be the 1st driver to be demoralised by a week after week getting beaten by Alonso. Massa & more suitablely Vandoornes F1 career never really recovered. Vandoorne being outqualified at 26 consecutive races
Rumours are the team has been sold for $800m so hopefully someone more capable can perform in the car

Rumours are the team has been sold for $800m so hopefully someone more capable can perform in the car
that would make sense, as weeks ago Andrew benson. who seems pretty in the know with this. & that Lawrence would sell the team to saudi arabians before he sacked his son

Who would have thought hitting kerbs would damage tyres?

Perhaps the best solution would be not to hit the kerbs?

I don't know a great deal about F1 history but I vaguely recall a similar problem with tyres not being able to cope with a corner at a specific track about 20 years ago.

:thinking:

well blow me sideways, what a lap from piastri sprint race pole & mclaren front row lockout. that is unexpected to see the red bulls toppled & gives alot of positivity for 2024 will be interesting

i think that's the 1st rookie to start a race from pole since hulkenberg in Brazil 2010

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom