The 2011 Season

Autosport writes​

A number of drivers have already voiced concerns that safety could be compromised in 2011 because of the number of controls they are now being required to operate in the cockpit - which can be a distraction while they are trying to race their cars at the limit.​
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89138

So I wasn't just imagining things them! :shocked:

Phhht, if my 16 year old son can press 17 buttons at once on his PS3 controller on Grand Turismo and still find time to talk to me and drink a coke at 180mph why can't these guys :snigger: More serioulsy, perhaps they need to look at the layout of the various knobs and buttons and take some ideas from the games controllers. Grizzly also makes a very salient point about not having a clutch and gearstick anymore, how much easier do they want to make these cars?

Yeah, please excuse my sarcasm, a serious point, but unfortunately us Grizzlers do descend into a sarcastic black hole when 'they' say things like this.

Last year we had Alonso driving half the course with one hand, and the rest with one finger and unamanously they all said it was fine. Its a good job they don't have a clutch and gear stick because shock horror, they would have to take one hand OFF THE STEERING WHEEL AND THEIR FOOT OFF THE BRAKE. Its a good job these gear thingies never cought on with road cars! :whistle::shocked:

LOL - I'll bet they can all heel and toe better than I can as in my case it's more hoof and hoof.

I believe it is a plan to make F1 less sexist.
victory.gif

The more things a driver has to do simultaneously in the cockpit the more likely a woman will do it better, because men can't think about more than one thing at a time. Women have evolved to multi-task and men haven't.

Anyone know if the official F1 website will be showing live timing from the tests or where to find any coverage that may be available?

Mmmm, Charlize Theron....:dizzy:

Back to the subject, the Beeb sometimes carry updates through the day but not live timing (at least they didn't last year). Perhaps with the new austere BBC we now have they will only report something at the end of the day as their World Service correspondent flits between the F1 test sessions, the latest crisis in the West Bank and Crown Prince Usad of where ever's impending nuptials.

DOF_Power, you were given a different thread to post in around this topic of conversation. Continuing to post in this thread could be construed as trolling. You're already on sticky ground, I would strongly ask you to consider what you post in this thread. Put it this way, I'm itching to give you a vacation from this site, should you continue down this avenue of discussion.

I'm not sure this is the right place to put this, but it's about a race in the 2011 season, so..

The race in Australia this season will be a twilight race again. No Twilight race time change

Despite the drivers' criticising the race time due to poor light, the Australian Grand Prix Corporation chairman Ron Walker said: "It (the 5pm start) is clearly not dangerous," said Walker. "You can't please these drivers, they are a bunch of lazy people who won't do anything to help the sport."

:blink: :s

The drivers think the lack of daylight is dangerous. Walker thinks it's not and so the drivers are lazy..? Maybe Walker should race at the same time to prove the drivers are just lazy bums...
rolleyes.gif

I thought the problem in '09 wasn't so much a lack of light rather drivers being dazzled by the setting sun at certain parts of the course. More stupidity from FOM, the FIA should take control of these situations not the commercial rights holder
givemestrength.gif

Oh, dear me - this smacks of Sky presenters - not good at all!!

Take a bow, son!

I'm not sure this is the right place to put this, but it's about a race in the 2011 season, so..

Despite the drivers' criticising the race time due to poor light

The drivers think the lack of daylight is dangerous. Walker thinks it's not and so the drivers are lazy..? Maybe Walker should race at the same time to prove the drivers are just lazy bums... :rolleyes:

What has Lewis "Yeah, its OK" Hamilton had to say about it?

He said something but I couldn't hear it over the screeching of tyres as he left the circuit.

It sounded like: "You bleeping bleep of a bleeping bleep Walker!"

He said something but I couldn't hear it over the screeching of tyres as he left the circuit.

It sounded like: "You bleeping bleep of a bleeping bleep Walker!"

Funny, I'd expect Lewis to agree with him, saying something along the lines of:

Blinded by the sun? No, no problem at all. Yeah, had a good race* in 2009! Lets go racing

*Until he got disqualified for lying. Is that even a disqualifiable offence, and how has it taken me 2 years to notice that?

Having watched this video I'm wondering how many cars we're going to see flying off the circuit at seemingly ordinary looking kinks? If you forget to put your flap down but are dependent upon it to take the kink flat out surely there's a recipe for disaster.

Presumably this will give FOM a nice new graphic on the screen to show when the moveable wing is fired, as well as the little battery making a comeback to show the KERS energy left for each lap. Don't know about the drivers being confused by all the buttons on teh wheel, the on screen graphics are going to make my head hurt.

I should also add, having seen in action it does look like a horrible gimmick.

@ Sobriety: If you use the brakes, what if you're just lifting or not lifting at all?

I was also surprised how sudden the transition is. :o

Back
Top Bottom