The 2011 Season

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's GPS based, and closes as the car passes a certain point, denoted to the viewer by a line on the track.

Courtesy of Autosport

Sources have revealed that the FIA's current plan is for the overtaking zone - where the moveable wing will be made active in races - to be the final 600 metres of a track's main straight.

A driver pursuing a rival will only be able to activate his wing there if he is within one-second of the car ahead of him at a timing zone that will be set-up in the braking area for the corner before that main straight.
The FIA believes that the 600-metre passing zone is the right length to ensure that overtaking is possible – but is also not too easy. Early simulation data suggests that this length of track will result in a speed differential between cars of between 10-12 km/h depending on car design.

Drivers will be also free to use the wing at will during practice and qualifying.

To help Formula 1 fans and television commentators understand the implementation of the rules better, lines will be painted on the track to mark out the overtaking and timing zone.

A single line on the straight will show where the overtaking zone starts, while two lines will be painted at the preceding corner to indicate the one-second time difference distance. This latter line will also serve as a visual back up for the FIA should the official timing transponders fail at any point.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89260

Courtesy of Autosport

A driver pursuing a rival will only be able to activate his wing there if he is within one-second of the car ahead of him at a timing zone that will be set-up in the braking area for the corner before that main straight.

Drivers will be also free to use the wing at will during practice and qualifying.

To help Formula 1 fans and television commentators understand the implementation of the rules better, lines will be painted on the track to mark out the overtaking and timing zone.

A single line on the straight will show where the overtaking zone starts, while two lines will be painted at the preceding corner to indicate the one-second time difference distance. This latter line will also serve as a visual back up for the FIA should the official timing transponders fail at any point.

Interesting they can use it at will during quali, I'll expect howls of "blocking" by using the wing during quali and overtaking after the "zone" lines during the race.

I seem to remember writing a very long article on this some time ago.It would appear that my opinion stated then matched the opinion most seem to hold today.Bloody stupid idea.

Clearly nobody in F1 sees the irony that aero creates problems in overtaking so they use aero to try and solve it
rolleyes.gif

What we need is to do away with all this aero crap and go back to wing cars, active ride, turbo chargers and other driver aids to recreate the slipstreaming battles of the 60's and 70's...

OMG Spesh was right I am becoming DOF_Power AAAARRRGGGHHH!

What we need is to do away with all this aero crap and go back to wing cars, active ride, turbo chargers and other driver aids to recreate the slipstreaming battles of the 60's and 70's...

OMG Spesh was right I am becoming DOF_Power AAAARRRGGGHHH!

Do you think this will create racing like Monza 67/69/71 before the chicanes, where there was plenty of overtaking which was not artful and McLaren didn't exist?

I know it is easy to find fault in the wings, but we pushed them into it so now we need to observe the racing before making judgement IMO. F1 is 'fake' already, for want of a better term, so I say stay positive about the whole deal, until the wings show us how good or bad of an idea they really are....

Do you think this will create racing like Monza 67/69/71 before the chicanes, where there was plenty of overtaking which was not artful and McLaren didn't exist?
Surely you mean before Team Marlboro?
rolleyes.gif

Nick Wirth predicts a "corking year"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89364

"We have the moveable wing, which no one knows what the hell is going to happen with it, but thankfully common sense have prevailed and the FIA has given themselves the means to experiment. We have 20 times to try different things throughout the season.It will do something and if it is really horrible, and people don't like it, then we can turn it off - no big deal.

givemestrength.gif
Make it up as we go along shall we?
givemestrength.gif

Appears so.Seeing as F1 is now turning into a form of drag racing, I wonder which team will hide a small cylinder of nitro in the fuel tank for a quick boost when the wing is actuated.

Yeah, I don't know exactly why, but i can't help defending at least the trial of the wings. I'm not for, nor against them, yet, but i am all for trying new approaches to allowing on-track positional changes. If everyone condemns it before it gets off the ground, it is bound to be unsuccessful.

Appears so.Seeing as F1 is now turning into a form of drag racing, I wonder which team will hide a small cylinder of nitro in the fuel tank for a quick boost when the wing is actuated.

Didn't that get done way back when? I remember mixing up 10% nitro for my mopeds
unsure.gif
rev, rev, BANG,
disappointed.gif
is my fondest memory of that!

Back
Top Bottom