Formula E News and General Discussion Thread

That I felt it was a decent but not exceptional race is only really a reflection of the incredibly high standards I've come to expect of Formula E over the past year or so that I've been watching.

James Blunt, on the other hand, was really exceptional - but that's a matter for a different thread.

I'll be honest I'm finding it hard to tell whether Mitch Evans is being absolutely amazing or whether Jag actually have built a car to compete this year. The 'James Caledo is a big pile of pants' factor is throwing it off.

After saying I was wrong about the BMW pairing last time I now think I'm right again. They need at least one steady top driver and, as good as Sims and Gunther can be, they are not it. Put the likes of Bird in that car and I think it would be dominating. Speaking of driver line ups - as much as I love Di Grassi for previous wins it's really time Audi had a driver line up change. They really are going nowhere fast. Having said that - Teechetah made a driver change and now have two drivers so busy tripping over each other with team order shenanigans that the leaders get away. If it wasn't for an Envision, Porsche, Merc self destruction derby they would not have got back up so high.

Oh and I reckon De Vries has the measure of Vandorne in the Merc - something I would never have predicted.

I think mitch evans is the good one that was his 2nd front row start consectively with pole in santiago, I wondered in FE whether he would prove like many lower category driver is he going to be another great driver that F1 teams have missed because they need the cash over talent. he is proving this that was a dominant performance nobody was touching him, this is not 1 season wonder like a few drivers like piquet or d'Amborioso he's been doing this for years he was in the top 5 a few times in the 1st season, pole in 2nd , won in 3rd & leading the championship in 4th. as weve discussed if it wasnt for mitch evans I don't think there would be a jaguar & we would have a very smug cider_and_toast

im sticking with da costa to beat vergne over the season, because vergne had no answer to da costa pace again. audi problems stem from qualifying they leaving themselves with a massive mountain every race the last 7 qualifying's 19th Swiss, 11th & 14th New York, 19th & 3rd in Saudi, 22nd Santiago, 17th Mexico. since 25th may & berlin ePrix the only other time he has qualified in the top 10 was 2nd Saudi race & it was the only time di grassi looked like he gotten back to his best

finally sam bird, what do you say he has a great knack of getting into great positions in the race & title races. then either he gets horrendous luck or makes a mistake. he had 2nd in the race & championship in the bag. driving a cracking race with some brilliant overtakes & then he makes such a clumsy error to put it in the wall

Mitch Evans quality has never been in doubt for me. He's just always suffered from not being back by an F1 team. Let's remember he beat Da Costa to the GP3 title but still never gets the hype Da Costa gets.

When you look at the driver line up in Formula E, and then the no marks and has beens filling the driving seats in the lower reaches of F1 you realise that Formula One does not have "the best drivers in the world".

well I've said many yrs ago that i actually think that F1 has the best drivers Hamilton Leclerc Verstappen for example. but formula e has a greater strength in depth. because its where all the great talented drivers from F2 & F3 go because their talent is enough dont need £30m a season likes of Bird, Friyns, De Vries, Evans, Calado da Costa or where chucked out because F1 teams were too impatient buemi, vergne, di grassi, Vandoorne

I beg you to remove Caldeo from that list.

To be fair to James he is usually the quickest driver......arriving at the accident.

I beg you to remove Caldeo from that list.

To be fair to James he is usually the quickest driver......arriving at the accident.

well i was talking about there results in lower formula not in formula E. as he has been poor in Formula E.

but on his way up a lot longer than i thought he was 2nd in formula Renault, 2nd in british F3, 2nd in GP3 & 3rd in GP2 & won his class at le mans in 2019

He was number 1 in crashes in all those series and was only not the driver considered the most dangerous thing on the track in GP2 because Sergio Canamasas was in series at same time. He is not nicknamed cannonball Caledo for nothing!

In all fairness I am glad to see him in Formula E. I dined out on Caledo jokes on this forum for years when he was in GP2 and now he is in Formula E I can recycle them all.

Last edited:
All aboard the Marrakesh Express this Saturday for the next round for Formula E. Live half 1 on BBC Red Button.

We always get a decent race at Marrakesh so looking forward to this one. A lot of buzz around Mitch Evans after the win in Mexico. Have to say I'd love to see him go on and win the title.

Although Evans was managed by Mark Webber and drive for Christian Horner's Arden team at one point he was actually never in the Red Bull Junior Programme.

oh right i thought he drove a red bull livered car In GP3

da costa on pole, unusually a prediction of mine is going well. driving far better currently than his reigning 2x champion teammate. di grassi usual terrible qualifying outside the top 10 again

on the tv side, as nice as it was to see dua lipa again. did the bbc need to send a on track team considering how great a job vernon kay & Dario franchitti do as pundits

thought that was a very fun race, great advert being on proper BBC, with a very tense finish. a race full of brilliant drives because as jack nicholls said driver of the day was impossible do you go Da Costa, Evans, Vergne & Gunther drove very well now 1st & 2nd in 3 races. he looks like 1 for future

Da Costa drove very well. using indy 500 tactics to save energy, by slipstreaming because as they say in America bar the last 10 laps worse place to be is in the lead. then when used the gap to perfection & just as they got in range he got the overtake done

i think you were talking title favourites RasputinLives this series as we know is notoriously tough to predict last time we had a repeat winner was monaco last may 9 races 9 different winners. but i think it would be foolish to back against a techeetah driver they have the best car & most consistent. proved by how i thought that the 1-2 looked very possible early on. but for 400m at the end

It says something about Formula E when we think that wasn't the most exciting race even though we had overtaking at the front throughout. If this had been an F1 race Sky would have given themselves a heart attack with expletives.

Anyways really good stuff from Da Costa, even better from Vergne for driving with coronavirus (not confirmed) and where Maxi Gunther has found his talent from this year I do not know as he has never shown anything like this in his career previously. Also let's not forget Evans coming through the field.

Interesting comments from Franchitti that it's no longer acceptable in Formula E to just have one strong driver. I couldn't agree more and Audi, Porsche, BMW and Jaguar should really take note. To be honest if I'm Jag I'd chuck Jamie Chadwick in the race seat as she can't do worse than Calado, looks good in testing and the PR alone would boost the project.

Back
Top Bottom