Mark Webber

I'm a little puzzled as to why Webber doesn't have a page in the teams and drivers section, as Webber is a pivotal figure in the story upfront. There are questions that need to be asked. Why can Vettel win, and Webber struggle to get on the podium fighting Ferraris and McLarens? Why is the man that was noted as a good qualifier unable to get near Vettel? Did the leg break in late 2008 do him serious performance damage? and What should Webber do in the near future?

Mark Webber. Over to you...

Massa:
753 points
11 wins
15 pole positions
14 fastest laps
36 podiums
WDC positions:
graph.jpg

Webber:
917.5 points
9 wins
11 pole positions
15 fastest laps
36 podiums
WDC positions:
WEBBER.jpg

The graphs came out a bit weird, but I made them on a kids website because my Excel seems to be having problems :whistle:

As an Aussie, it bothers me to admit that I won't miss him. I will always believe that, had he shown anything like the backbone and grit of "Black" Jack Brabham or Alan Jones, he would have a far more impressive record.

I have deliberately not read much of the recent comments because I would just like to say that I will miss Mark.

He may not be the most successful driver if F1 (although he hasn't done too bad for a no. 2) but he has always been honest, forthright, nice and, above all, true to himself - even if it meant compromising his own ambitions. (The picky here won't understand what I'm saying). A realist, perhaps.

I wish him well and hope he shows all the ****ers in the motorsport industry just exactly what they could have had if he had been left to get on with it!

Another worthy driver toppled by 'team' politics.

Sorry Jen but rubbish. Webber has done a great job of being all wind and bluster about doing things his way and not just laying down and taking it whilst do the exact opposite. He's done nothing but tow the Red Bull party line in fear of losing his seat ever since Vettel arrived and not only that but his whole career blaming everyone and anything around him for him not being at the top of the pecking order whilst never actually showing us why he deserves to be there.

I'm sorry but this 'Mark doesn't compromise and does things his way' is a load of Red Bull.

Would you like to read what I said again please with particular reference to the stuff in brackets.

He has compromised, sadly, but he has had moments of genius and 'defiance' - (seems to be standard these days - bring on the one driver team).

None of us play our hand right - why should he be any different - he wanted to race and was, occasionally, allowed to do so.

I'm not looking for a fight Jen but can you tell me why Webber is viewed as the "gutsy did it my way' guy and Massa is the lapdog when they've both played the same role.

Just think through his entire career he's said one thing with his mouth and something else with his actions and gets his popularity from having an unpopular team mate.

Just my view. I'll stop ramming it down your throat.

Last orders at the bar for Mark then.

Cheerio and good luck in your new adventure hopefully joining the distinguished list of F1 drivers who've won races in F1 and at Le Mans.

One thing you can bet about whoever goes into the second seat at Red Bull they'll be asked to be a lot nicer to the "Team Leader" so no more worries about multi 21 and not being bad for a number 2.

I can't see Vettel welcoming Kimi with open arms, or Rosberg for that matter. I reckon it would have to be one of the TR drivers stepping up.

A couple of Mark highlights for me, have to be is points for 5th place in a Minardi on his debut, his first podium for Williams at Monaco and that "Not bad for a number 2" win at Silverstone in 2010.

I'll miss his ability to (almost) say what he felt and not what the ever present PR guys want him to say. He's never been a favorite driver of mine but I'll look forward to watching him in the future.

I wasn't a fan of the Mark Webber who was fighting to be the number one driver in the team, but I've felt a lot of sympathy for the Mark Webber who has been pushed into the number two slot in the team.

I personally think it happened long before the results confirmed him in that position and can't help but think the demotion within the team where he did previously have equal ranking could have been an influence.

No hard feelings for the guy and wish him luck - it's a shame there have been recent incidents that have left a shadow of the nature of his departure

In time ... after Vettel's 10th WDC in a row ... after seeing off team mates Webber, Raikkonen, Hamilton and some other "fastest F1 driver of time" history will be pretty kind ...

Good Ed Straw article on Autosport about MW being one of the best "nearly men" ... the almost WDC but for ... list

And some news articles as well that makes it pretty clear that he only deals with the Dietrich Mateschitz ... why deal with the monkey when you talk to the organ grinder ...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108330

Red Bull boss Christian Horner has revealed that he had only a few minutes' warning that Mark Webber was quitting Formula 1.

I'm at a complete loss as to why so many seem so pleased to see Webber leaving F1. He's been in the top third, sometimes top quarter of the grid for a number of years now. I agree with you ZakspeedYakspeed, F1 will be poorer without him. Yes he wore his heart on his sleeve, who wouldn't, put in the postion he has been in on numerous occasions, but he has always been honest and upfront, two measures of decency as far as I'm concerned. His work with the GPDA shouldn't be forgotten also.

Yeah but look at Massa's form in 07 and 08. There were some weekends he was untouchable. Never seen Webber that good.

MW didn't have some ... only three I reckon ...

Germany 2009 ... even a drive through penalty didn't stop him slaying the field ...

Spain 2010 ... best in show that day ...

Not to forget Hungary 2010 when he took full advantage of Vettel's safety car error and reeled off a succession of super fast laps to gap him for the Vettel drive through ... with one of the best SV "toys out of the pram" radio calls "how the f**k did HE get ahead of me" ...

Webber may stop driving in F1 but is it the end of his F1 career? I knew he was writing a column for the BBC's website before and usually had a fair opinion about most things that went on. I could see him making a second career in management or at least punditry

Also does his driving contract ending with Red Bull mean he gets to cut all ties with them as well or will he become another Coulthard-esque Bullshit media clone?

He truly was a number two.

No question or argument about that ... he was a #2 ... when pitched against young Seb who will end up being rated (and hated) as good or better than Schumacher when he hangs up his helmet ...

MW finally got the quality drive that every driver yearns for and then his team mate ends up being Seb ... who turns out to be a rocket ... why it didn't turn out to be anyone but Alonso, Lewis (and probably Kimi V2) was just how it was meant to be ...

For most of the experienced F1 following glitterati on CTA, you knew that MW's only shot at glory was 2010 when Seb was still working out the wrinkles (and steering ... Turkey ... Belgium anyone) ... and some youthful exuberance and petulance ... he was within touching distance of the WDC and then he blew it in Korea ... couldn't challenge Seb in Japan for the win and had a dog of a race in Abu Dhabi ... in which poor old Alonso became the fleas trying to cover MW.... and the rest is history ...

Seb blew his and everyones doors off in 2011 ... I also think Seb was a easily a 10% better driver ... better racecraft and the only driver who bothered to visit Pirelli in the off season to find out about the rubber ...

2012 you could see the edge that kept MW "almost close" to Seb fading a tad ... qually times stretching a little ... I think it was more than likely Seb getting incrementally better and MW at his peak on his favourite tracks and regressing on the others ...

And now we arrive to today and his sayonara year ... I would like to see him win one more before he goes out ... but if he doesn't, so be it ... who knows ... the WCC could be clinched with a hatful of races to run ... he might even unleash the Kraken on Seb one last time in a non life threatening way ... "Mark ... we are in Multi 20-10 ... Seb has turned down his engine ... Seb is faster than you ... if you don't change to engine setting G2 it might let go" ... "Relax fella's, Renault can afford another one"...

On a general note, I always find it a little amusing when drivers get bagged and the following statements are made "he is sooo slow ... you could put in <insert mid field driver name> and he would be doing such a better job" ... you need to look no further than Lewis at Mercedes this year to see how that plays out ... has NR improved from last season ... probably ... has NR risen up to the challenge of having LH as his team mate ... probably ... would anyone consider NR a better driver than LH ... probably only Keke, Nico, their agents and managers would ... all 6 of them ...

He truly was a number two.
That cracked me up. :) I personally won't miss Webber, I never took to him and rolled my eyes many times at his overly-aggressive defending. RB have an interesting situation, they need someone to bring in the points while being prepared to play second fiddle, IMO that's not Kimi's style:
SV: He needs to go quicker, hint hint.
CH: Kimi, Multi12
KR: You can **** right off.

Ed Sraw headlined his article on Autosport, "Webber, the best of the nearly-men". In a sport like Formula One I'd be bloody proud to be described as a nearly-man. That's a hell of a lot more than most, if not all on this site will achieve. Congratulations Mark Webber, I'm sure you'll be unaffected by small minded comments and walk away very proud. Respect well deserved.

Back
Top Bottom