Grand Prix 2024 Monaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

i know its derided as a circuit & people say that F1 has outgrown Monaco. & yes the race can be processional. but i still love monaco because when you think of the location, the views, the corners, Mirabeau, Tabac, Piscine, lowes hairpin, Tunnel, Portier, the boats in the harbour just bring a smile to my face. & the history theyve been racing around these streets since 1929. this is the best qualifying of the season because i love to see the best drivers in the world pushing to themselves to the limits they arent pushed to any other time of the season. For me, there are three races in Formula 1 that you'd want to win in your career: your home Grand Prix, the Monaco GP, and, if you're fortunate, winning at Monza for Ferrari. These are the races that feel like more than just a victory.

I understand it has its imperfections, but the glamour of Monaco is what all new locations, such as Singapore, Baku & in particular Las Vegas aspire to emulate when they join the F1 calendar. but struggle to be. because you cant buy history & heritage. to lose monaco i think you lose that something special, because do we want to go to just places like Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Miami
monaco 3.jpg

monaco 1.jpg

& quite an exiting livery to honour Ayrton Senna on mclarens this weekend

1716416959883.png

Last edited:
I actually took a positive from this race. With the crash that Perez had and the step that McLaren and Ferrari have taken, the Constructors title is maybe not a foregone conclusion. Thus RedBull won’t be able to get a head start on next years car, as they’ll have to concentrate more resources to a championship battle. Maybe then we’ll get an even more competitive 2025.
Perez now down to 5th place and probably 6th if Piastri continues to get better. I think Sainz might just think his Red Bull chances are increasing now

Verstappen is going to fight four cars at least every week without a rear gunner and Newey not fixing their problems for sure

The race towards the end wasn't great, but I didn't mind because there was always the chance that something could happen. It might have been considered "boring," but it certainly wasn't easy. I'm delighted for Charles because he should have won this three times before in F1 and F2. He was fantastic all weekend, and it might be a piece of history we never see again. The last time a Monégasque driver finished on the podium was 74 years and 1107 races ago. It was moving to see Prince Albert at 66 so emotional, fulfilling what never occured to me & must have been a lifelong dream to see a local driver win his home race.

shame McLaren weren't decisive & took the plunge go on a soft when he had the 21 second gap. as that would've been great but as soon Verstappen caught up it was game over & Magnussen ruined the race. removing any strategy chance. is it just me but im astounded that was given as racing incident. he knows that barrier moves in & so that gap was always going to disappear. it felt from Magnussen's downbeat interview even he thought he was watching canada from home

if Famin said this to french TV i dread to think what he said to ocon in private. i do think it was harsh because i thought it was good move but ocon let himself down by not being tight enough on exit & squeezing gasly

Just prior to entering the tunnel in Monte Carlo, Ocon pushed up the inside and collided with his teammate. The crash caused Ocon's car to be flung into the air. Gasly was not very happy on the team radio. Gasly seems to have the backing of his team boss Famin.

"Esteban's attack was completely out of line. It wasn't what we wanted to see. There will be consequences. We're going to have to make a tough decision," Famin told Canal +. Famin didn't suggest what that tough decision would be. Famin left it open to interpretation.

Last edited:
The race towards the end wasn't great, but I didn't mind because there was always the chance that something could happen. It might have been considered "boring," but it certainly wasn't easy. I'm delighted for Charles because he should have won this three times before in F1 and F2. He was fantastic all weekend, and it might be a piece of history we never see again. The last time a Monégasque driver finished on the podium was 74 years and 1107 races ago. It was moving to see Prince Albert at 66 so emotional, fulfilling what never occured to me & must have been a lifelong dream to see a local driver win his home race.

shame McLaren weren't decisive & took the plunge go on a soft when he had the 21 second gap. as that would've been great but as soon Verstappen caught up it was game over & Magnussen ruined the race. removing any strategy chance. is it just me but im astounded that was given as racing incident. he knows that barrier moves in & so that gap was always going to disappear. it felt from Magnussen's downbeat interview even he thought he was watching canada from home

if Famin said this to french TV i dread to think what he said to ocon in private. i do think it was harsh because i thought it was good move but ocon let himself down by not being tight enough on exit & squeezing gasly

I think Ocon privately won't care because who wants to drive for a team that doesn't know what they are doing. Publicly he will play the corporate game like he always does.

As for KMag not banning him sends the wrong message some are putting it down to Perez squeezing him. Honestly given the layout of the track his chances if passing were zero.

I'll be honest KMag is suffering from his own rep at this point. He wasn't going for a move he was just driving. He was right up against the barrier, he couldn't back out of it because of pack behind him. Was just a racing incident but there has to be someone to blame these days.

This is amusing from Karen now that Red Bull got beaten by a Mercedes

He should concentrate on his own team

Oh yeah did not want to blame it on Max for hitting the wall in quali. It looks like when the pressure is on Verstappen he is more error prone and being punished for it especially when he can't do his usual off road driving

Last edited:
I'll be honest KMag is suffering from his own rep at this point. He wasn't going for a move he was just driving. He was right up against the barrier, he couldn't back out of it because of pack behind him. Was just a racing incident but there has to be someone to blame these days.
sometimes i struggle to predict the stewards or im on the wrong side both times LOL

as in miami i thought Magnussen on Sargeant was a racing incident & if there was blame it was on Sargeant for closing the door & creating inevitable because Magnussen couldnt disappear but ended up with 3 more points on his licence

On a different topic I just want to point out what a decent job Tsunoda is doing this season. I thought someone better say it as it seems to be not spoken anywhere.

yeah sometimes we are so focused on the front we forget what happening lower down & tsunoda has been outstanding, dont know what changed it maybe in typical brutal red bull fashion they told him how lucky he is to still have a drive & looming figure of liam lawson who is reportedly nailed on for 1 of those AlphaTauri seats in 2025. has focused him. because this is the guy from F2 3 yrs ago that was so highly rated.

Last edited:
On a different topic I just want to point out what a decent job Tsunoda is doing this season. I thought someone better say it as it seems to be not spoken anywhere.
Yet they are suggestions he may not be on the grid depending how Marko decides about Lawson and Ricciardo!!! Then 2026 as well given Honda want him to progress that should be interesting how they come to agreement with Lawrence Stroll if he is still AM bosd

What an amazing race, this increases my hours of watching FP1,2 Quali and the GP and highlights for the entire season to 0.

Genuine question then - if the FIA find someone at fault for a incident then that team has to foot the repair bill for all the other cars? Never heard about it before if thats the case.

All sorts of rumours that Alpine will make Ocon "stand down" for the next race after taking Gasly out in Monaco.. Presumably they are installing a naughty step in the motor home as well and will make him sit on it to watch the race in Canada.

FB for me i dont know how Ocon has come out of this villian. i thought K Mag had the worse of the 2 & yet he got off Scot free

i thought here it was a cracking move. brilliantly opportunistic

Screenshot_20240528_111441_Samsung Internet.jpg

but then did let himself down by forgetting himself by taking racing line. if he had taken a tighter line. he wouldve been getting huge plaudits
Screenshot_20240528_111511_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Genuine question then - if the FIA find someone at fault for a incident then that team has to foot the repair bill for all the other cars? Never heard about it before if thats the case.
I thought certain repair bills like those deemed to be caused by another team driver does not come into the cost cap? If it was K Mags fault then Red Bull would have $3m to spend on development which they don't because it was deemed racing incident

Last edited:
FB for me i dont know how Ocon has come out of this villian. i thought K Mag had the worse of the 2 & yet he got off Scot free

i thought here it was a cracking move. brilliantly opportunistic

View attachment 17235

but then did let himself down by forgetting himself by taking racing line
View attachment 17234
I am still wondering how Ocon deserves punishment seeing Gasly was still in the race and he was out of the race.

Clumsy and daft yes.

Oh the replacement driver would take Ocon's grid penalty to stop this silliness whereby drivers are replaced to avoid taking grid penalties. So quite what Alpine achieve out of it just shows how inept they have been for the past 3 seasons

Back
Top Bottom