Grand Prix 2024 Monaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

i know its derided as a circuit & people say that F1 has outgrown Monaco. & yes the race can be processional. but i still love monaco because when you think of the location, the views, the corners, Mirabeau, Tabac, Piscine, lowes hairpin, Tunnel, Portier, the boats in the harbour just bring a smile to my face. & the history theyve been racing around these streets since 1929. this is the best qualifying of the season because i love to see the best drivers in the world pushing to themselves to the limits they arent pushed to any other time of the season. For me, there are three races in Formula 1 that you'd want to win in your career: your home Grand Prix, the Monaco GP, and, if you're fortunate, winning at Monza for Ferrari. These are the races that feel like more than just a victory.

I understand it has its imperfections, but the glamour of Monaco is what all new locations, such as Singapore, Baku & in particular Las Vegas aspire to emulate when they join the F1 calendar. but struggle to be. because you cant buy history & heritage. to lose monaco i think you lose that something special, because do we want to go to just places like Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Miami
monaco 3.jpg

monaco 1.jpg

& quite an exiting livery to honour Ayrton Senna on mclarens this weekend

1716416959883.png

Last edited:
on this weekend, the question again are we having a serious challenger to red bull as consecutive races now where McLaren & more Norris have given Verstappen the biggest challenge to their dominance since early 2022. do we have a watchable interesting rest of the season. Verstappen fearing the worst It appears they are having difficulties with the bumpier circuits. which is something theyve famously never had an issue beforehand

can Leclerc be the 1st Monégasque driver win his home race & still the last Monégasque driver to stand on the podium was louis chirion in the 2nd F1 race in 1950. in a race where he finished 3rd 2 laps as Fangio won having lapped everyone The race was marred by a large pile-up during the first lap, when a wave from the harbour flooded the track at Tabac, Those who were behind them tried to stop or avoid the carnage, but eight more drivers (from a field of 19 drivers) crashed and retired.

1716418195229.png

Whats everyone's favourite Monaco Grand Prix of yesteryear?

I have very fond memories of 2011. Both for the track action and the month long debate about the state of peoples tyres afterwards.

1992 is of course well remembered but was dull up until that last lap.

What year was it where Coulthard got stuck behind a back marker for like most of the race? Or am I thinking of Stefano Moderna?

Yeah it was Bernoldi and Martin Brundle was going ape shit in the comm box that Bernoldi should just pull over and let Coulthard through because Coulthard was obviously faster and Bernoldi was never going to finish ahead of him anyway.

This was the start of my dislike of Martin Brundle.

2008 was great, for Hamilton hit the barriers & yet went on to win the Grand prix

2009 Jenson's victory lap

2011 the best fully dry monaco, was the best race ending we never had because of tyre rules, would vettel tyres fall & could lewis or jenson take the win

even last yr was great when the rain fell

F1 hasn't outgrown Monaco, but certainly the rules regarding car size have allowed the cars to have outgrown some circuits where the straight isn't long enough to even allow cars get alongside to attempt an overtaking manoeuvre.

im furious at myself i had gut feeling lewis could do well here. nearly backed him at 50/1. but did & now he's 16/1. now instead of £12.50 for the podium its £3.20

I have very fond memories of 2011. Both for the track action and the month long debate about the state of peoples tyres afterwards.

1992 is of course well remembered but was dull up until that last lap.

What year was it where Coulthard got stuck behind a back marker for like most of the race? Or am I thinking of Stefano Moderna?
You mean 2001 when DC got pole stalled and was behind some Red Bull backed driver in an Arrows named Bernoldi. That was probably the turning point of 2001 title battle. I remember Ron Dennis seething saying Bernoldi was trying to end a drivers career

Favourite Monaco Gp

1996 because it was wet and Hill got the lead..to amazement of everyone Schumacher crashed on lap 1. Given he thrashed everyone in Spain in the wet he was the last person you expect to crash. The race was a case of who wants to finish.
DC wore Schumacher 's spare race helmet that day to confuse things.

I remember 1990 when a certain Alesi overtook Prost at the Mirabeau then Berger tried to do the same and basically blocked the road forcing a restart by crashing into Prost

I loved 1991 for Mansells overtake on Prost and remember it for Martini for some reason decided to block everyone that day

2016 is memorable because Red Bull ballsed up the pitstop with no tyres for Danny Ric who should have won with Hamilton on a slow lap. This was 2 weeks after being put on the wrong strategy and Verstappen won on his debut. '

Back
Top Bottom