Mark Webber

I'm a little puzzled as to why Webber doesn't have a page in the teams and drivers section, as Webber is a pivotal figure in the story upfront. There are questions that need to be asked. Why can Vettel win, and Webber struggle to get on the podium fighting Ferraris and McLarens? Why is the man that was noted as a good qualifier unable to get near Vettel? Did the leg break in late 2008 do him serious performance damage? and What should Webber do in the near future?

Mark Webber. Over to you...

A couple of seasons back shortly before the beginning of a GP, I could name the GP but I won't, Webbers then engineer said "sorry mate, you've got the number three car today". This has been a continuing story for Webber over the years at Red Bull. :(

Without a doubt Kewee. Nothing to do with his inability to adapt to the Pirelli tyres, his poor qualifying performances or being incapable or taking advantage of the blown diffuser system Red Bull employed in 2011, to the same extent as his team mate. But what the heck, let's go all out, Felipe Massa is every inch a good a driver as Fernando Alonso if only Stefano Domenicalli didn't piss in his fuel tank before the start of every race.

The simple and basic fact is that Mark Webber is not as fast a driver as Sebastien Vettel, therefore Red Bull focus their efforts on the driver most likely to bring them the race and championship victories the team wants. Why is that such a difficult concept to grasp?

FB.....I've never doubted Vettel as a driver, in fact I've sung his praises numerous times on this site but I'm also not naive enough to realize the team don't stack the odds in his favor whenever they able to.
I also don't believe pitting Webber at Abu Dhabi in 2010 was done by chance. It dropped Webber back down the field at which point all they had to do was wait for Ferrari to cover and bingo, Vettel takes the title. It was very clever and very premeditated. Having Webber capture their first World Title was not in their plans and they made sure it wouldn't happen.
That's not a criticism, just recognition that they know how to achieve the results they're looking for. Very difficult for a driver to produce top results consistently when he knows he will always be treated as back up to a teams aims.

I don't think Webber's pit stop in Abu Dhabi 2010 was against him. Red Bull just split the strategies, something teams frequently do at many races each season. Ferrari just chose the wrong driver to follow...

What Grand Prix did Webber's engingeer say that before Kewee? (link?)

Kewee Webber pitted because his tyres started to fade and was losing time to Alonso in front of him. If i recall correctly the tyres in Abu Dhabi in 2010 faded and than found life again. The only two drivers who stayed out and won strategy wise was Vettel and Hamilton.

Also i think Martin Brundle had a qoute from Webber saying he couldn't do the lap Seb did during qualifying.

no-FIAt-please......I'm sorry, no link for that. Naming the GP and the year would be like naming the engineer and would also expose another name and I'm not prepared to do that. I probably shouldn't have posted that if I'm not prepared to name names but to be honest there have been many examples of Red Bulls attitude towards their drivers played out over the years for all to see.

Kewee Why does revealing the Grand Prix reveal who said it? And hasn't Ciaran Pilbeam been Webber's engineer since the Vettel-Webber saga started in '09? Hence if it was actually said it must have been Pilbeam.

Generally speaking, if you can't back something up then just don't say it.

no-FIAt-please.....I did acknowledge that I shouldn't have made that posting. My apologies for doing so. It's the second name I would never expose.
Brogan.....Yes I do support Alonso but have always admired and respected Hamilton, Button, Massa and also Webber. I admit Webber doesn't cope with some of the cutting edge technology as well as his teammate, but when the playing field levels out and things become a little more seat of the pants so to speak he's top draw. This season he may get the opportunity to shine with the changes to DRS during qualifying. I think many would agree that last season most of his problems came from failing get the best out of DRS during qualifying and then paying the price by failing to get heat into his tires. Despite that he shone in Monaco and then again at Silverstone.

Kewee - Nope. I asked why, in a qualifying session where DRS and KERS were not attached to any car; in a car where at the previous dry qualifying session (Korea - so at a damned similar circuit) he was 0.074s down on his team-mate in second, he suddenly ended up half-a-second down on his team-mate and jumped not only by Hamilton and Alonso but Button as well. This all occurred before his race strategy unfolded.

You seem to be toiling under the impression that Webber could have won the title that day if only Red Bull had supported him. No, no, no. He choked. He qualified behind both McLarens and crucially Alonso. To win the title, a Red Bull driver had to be ahead of Alonso. Webber's tyre wear was worse, his pace was worse. Red Bull had to back their best chance of winning the title. By lap 10 in Abu Dhabi they had only one driver capable of winning the title.

teabagyokel......I'm not toiling under any impression teabag. I'm baiting people who have been insulting a very good driver. He may not be top draw in every way, but two points should be considered.
Many past world champions consider Monaco the greatest test of a driver. Webber has won Monaco twice. Last year he followed his win at Monaco with a win at Silverstone. You couldn't get two circuits that are more different, and that for me is enough to measure him by. I entered this thread to respond to Marko's criticism of Webber. My belief is Webber deserves better than snide comments from Marko. As my previous posting said, if Webber hadn't taken the win off Alonso at Silverstone Marko's golden boy wouldn't have won the title.

I'm not sure what's worse - "needing" technology to win or having the technology to win and failing miserably.
Being "not sure" is the problem with opinions on any forum Josh. I can only speak for myself, but I always praise a driver for a great drive and criticize when they do something silly, regardless of who they are. In Webbers case, his championship results speak for themselves. 6th last season, (should have been better considering the car at his disposal) 3rd in 2011, 3rd in 2010 and 4th in 2009. Despite his result last year on average he's been top five for four seasons. He deserves better than the comments he would read on this site and certainly doesn't deserve criticism from within the team.

teabagyokel......I don't follow your thinking. Coulthard won twice at Monaco. Senna won six times, Graham Hill five, the list goes on, but there are nine drivers I think who won more than Coulthard though in saying that even one win at the Principality should be applauded. I stand by my original comment, Webber deserves praise not criticism. By the way, I'm not going to become a part of the British knocking machine by criticizing David Coulthard. He may not have been a great but he was far more than a journeyman.

Back
Top Bottom