First Entered 2010
Races Entered 19
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Manor Motorsport

When F3 team Manor Motorsport were given a place on the F1 grid in 2010 they commissioned Wirth Research to build them a car. Brawn sponsor Virgin became title sponsor and Virgin Racing was born

Virgin Racing

With Cosworth engines, Xtrac gearboxes and drivers Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi Virgin Racing embarked on their first F1 season. The VR01 chassis was the first ever F1 designed entirely using CFD, with designer Nick Wirth believing computer simulations were sufficient to not need expensive wind tunnel testing.

Inevitably the team had reliability issues early on and they also discovered the fuel tank on the car wasn't sufficiently large enough to allow the team to complete full race distance. Wirth Research got a dispensation from the FIA to homologate a new chassis and by Spain both cars finished the race.

The team regularly finished races but barely troubled the mid-field. By seasons end the team were placed 12th and last in the Constructors Championship based on a count back of minor placing’s having managed a highest finish of 14th.

Russian carmaker Marussia have taken a controlling interest in the team for 2011 and Belgian Jerome d’Ambrosio replaces Lucas di Grassi. With the VR02 chassis Virgin will be hoping to move further up the grid in 2011.

But he's not been particularly lucky so far, he needs to pay more of a backhander to Bernie or FIA, or whoever is collecting the bribes this year.

Caterham gone
HRT gone
Manor gone.

All teams that came in to F1 thinking there would be a budget cap so is it any wonder.

Poor old Manor. Certainly the best of the bunch. Looks like they were finished off by rain in Brazil!

Still let's not count em out just yet. They came back from a far worse position last time!

Well unfortunately I was expecting this because whoever finished 10th that other could fold. because they were financially precarious as sauber just completed 2016 & manor only raced in 2016 because of the 30m payment for being 10th in 2015 & mercedes giving them the engines for free (2nd half of season)

Hopefully we will get a budget cap thats been needed for 5yrs now as its ridiculous top 3 are spending £250m & yet Sauber/manor only spending £40/50m which is sportingly ridiculous, id have a budget cap £100m thats £5m a race probably still a bigger budget for every team than top 3 & mclaren, admittedly its going to be tough to police a budget cap, id say easiest way is to have an annual audit & many huge American sports that manage a similar salary cap like NFL NHL Baseball, some have a luxury tax where you can overspend if you pay a tax. Cap is not just a choice i feel now its a requirement because as well as Sauber & manor being financially precarious outside of Top 3 & Mclaren, the rest of grid nearly as close

Force India - sold 50% to sahara in 2014, struggling to pay wages this summer & suppliers start of season
Williams - where would they have been without the huge money from Maldonado or Stroll
Lotus (Renault) somehow miraculously didnt fold in 2014 despite being locked out of hospitality & garages
Toro Rosso - Bankrolled by red bull

I don't think it's all Todt fault he tried hard to get a budget cap in 2014 but was opposed by Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes, Williams, McLaren, Lotus and Bernie.

Budget cap is not gonna happen. If it is ever imposed the top spending teams will simply start a new series where they can spend as much as they like. And lets face it, it is those teams (Ferarri, McLaren, etc.) that people want to see race.

I'd love to see them try to start a new series for the plain and simple reason that they could never agree on anything and therefore it would fall on its arse and they'd have to come back cap in hand.

I think you'd be surprised at how quickly they would find agreement working on a clean slate and not having to deal with Bernie or the FIA.

I think you'd be surprised at how quickly they would find agreement working on a clean slate and not having to deal with Bernie or the FIA.

I think you'd be surprised at how self centred and pig headed the team are. They whine and white and trick and scheme when they are not winning now. Imagine what it would be like if they were in charge! PR wise all of then want to win so they'd prob all run there own formula. Having someone to tell them to sit down, shut up or go home is the only thing keeping the sport running. The reason we have silly badly thought out rule changes every few years is because the teams have more power.

Although i know F1 bosses cant see past their own noses & if it affects them negatively even if it great for future of the sport they will reject it. But Worryingly f1 is bleak without a budget cap because as someone mentioned either a breakaway series will happen which will have nowhere near the tv audience or crowd in attendance. Or f1 keeps going at this rate where spending increases more & more at ever more unsustainable rate, we lose manor & sauber then few years later Force india go through financial troubles. RB dont like not winning so leave all of a sudden we have to 5 teams

We all agree with you F1Brits_90 but it still won't happen. All manufacturers would be delighted if all the others cleared off and it was just a field full of their cars. They Don't give a monkeys about the show.

Jean Todt has given up on F1 and is leaving it to do whatever it pleases and even Bernie has given up. He's polished the turd, stuff the holes in the bodywork with newspaper, painted over it and showed it off to Liberty Media as nearly new with one careful old man owner who only used it on Sunday's.

F1 needs breaking down and rebuilding by someone who understands racing, modern media and is not afraid to say no to people with lots of money.

Back
Top Bottom