First Entered 2010
Races Entered 19
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Manor Motorsport

When F3 team Manor Motorsport were given a place on the F1 grid in 2010 they commissioned Wirth Research to build them a car. Brawn sponsor Virgin became title sponsor and Virgin Racing was born

Virgin Racing

With Cosworth engines, Xtrac gearboxes and drivers Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi Virgin Racing embarked on their first F1 season. The VR01 chassis was the first ever F1 designed entirely using CFD, with designer Nick Wirth believing computer simulations were sufficient to not need expensive wind tunnel testing.

Inevitably the team had reliability issues early on and they also discovered the fuel tank on the car wasn't sufficiently large enough to allow the team to complete full race distance. Wirth Research got a dispensation from the FIA to homologate a new chassis and by Spain both cars finished the race.

The team regularly finished races but barely troubled the mid-field. By seasons end the team were placed 12th and last in the Constructors Championship based on a count back of minor placing’s having managed a highest finish of 14th.

Russian carmaker Marussia have taken a controlling interest in the team for 2011 and Belgian Jerome d’Ambrosio replaces Lucas di Grassi. With the VR02 chassis Virgin will be hoping to move further up the grid in 2011.

It was interesting to note the Manors were the ones who got the most laps in during FP1 which might explain the extra amount of mediums they've taken.

I think the 'jump into the midfield' might have been exagerated but they certianly look with Haas on not far off the back of the pack. I think the main reason for that is the amount of testing and laps they've managed to get in this year! Just goes to show a little bit more testing might close the pack up a bit.

Manor looking good

CdzivDHXEAExU5n_zpsbnwsfswu.jpg

It was interesting to note the Manors were the ones who got the most laps in during FP1 which might explain the extra amount of mediums they've taken.
Their large number of medium tyres was due to them being given the default tyre selection as they missed the deadline for informing the FIA of what tyres they wanted :twisted:, but now they've got them they may as well make the most of them.

So it looked in Bahrain like Manor may be in the back pack mix now days. It's a shame we Don't have a decent reference point for how well Werhlein is doing.

If Sauber go belly up I wonder if Nasr's banco de Brazil money trumps Haryanto's cash wad.

Bit of a storm brewing here

Marussia and Manor in trademark dispute over 2015 Formula 1 car

Marissa are suing Manor for using their name last year. Manor only used the Mariners name last year because otherwise the FIA said their entry and place on the grid was null and void despite it being the same level entity.

If Manor have to make a big pay out it could seriously dent a team who have only just got financially comfy.

Rio Haryanto has failed to achieve his contractual obligations (i.e. come up with the cash) and has therefore been dropped from the Manor team to be replaced by Renault reserve driver Esteban Ocon. Ocon is also in the Mercedes young driver programme so it should be interesting to see how much of a challenge he gives Wehrlein now.

Manor F1 team replaces Rio Haryanto with Esteban Ocon

"His name was Rio but he didn't have the cash, he's lost his manor seat and now he has to dash"

Shame about haryanto surpassed my expectations v weirlein & kept him honest for the majority. because pre austria i was wonder if weirlein was overrated because Haryanto bar a few races in junior formula was never 1 people was talking about & he was matching the next Mercedes driver & reigning DTM Champion But F1 is brutal as a pay driver. because you dont have the "talent" to fall back on & once the money dries up. There's plenty more to take your place

& i will miss duran duran song parodies as since Britain. now rio left, 1 of my favourites was from Britain
his name is rio & he's beached it in sand"

I am very excited to see how Ocon gets on. He is one of the biggest young talents out there at the moment and it'll be great to see how hw matchs up with Wherlain.

He won't be renewing his rivalry with Verstappen just yet but I do hope to see that battle rejoined in the next few years

A missed opportunity for Van Doorne I feel but an interesting situation you have at Manor because essentially you have a Mercedes junior team

Ocon vs Wehrlein competing essentially for a seat at Mercedes in 2018/2019 I feel

Saw some gossip that Manor is being sold again, this time to a far eastern consortium. I'll see if I can find a link.

Bugger, what would the odds have been when I posted that?
I could feel physically sick if it actually happens. I spend every day planning for the future and failing; then a flippant joke comes true!!! Only in F1 :(

Back
Top Bottom