First Entered 2010
Races Entered 19
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Manor Motorsport

When F3 team Manor Motorsport were given a place on the F1 grid in 2010 they commissioned Wirth Research to build them a car. Brawn sponsor Virgin became title sponsor and Virgin Racing was born

Virgin Racing

With Cosworth engines, Xtrac gearboxes and drivers Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi Virgin Racing embarked on their first F1 season. The VR01 chassis was the first ever F1 designed entirely using CFD, with designer Nick Wirth believing computer simulations were sufficient to not need expensive wind tunnel testing.

Inevitably the team had reliability issues early on and they also discovered the fuel tank on the car wasn't sufficiently large enough to allow the team to complete full race distance. Wirth Research got a dispensation from the FIA to homologate a new chassis and by Spain both cars finished the race.

The team regularly finished races but barely troubled the mid-field. By seasons end the team were placed 12th and last in the Constructors Championship based on a count back of minor placing’s having managed a highest finish of 14th.

Russian carmaker Marussia have taken a controlling interest in the team for 2011 and Belgian Jerome d’Ambrosio replaces Lucas di Grassi. With the VR02 chassis Virgin will be hoping to move further up the grid in 2011.

That report originally sourced from Daniel Johnson of the Telegraph, who has a history of making shit up. Last year he caused the whole media frenzy by confirming Jenson's retirement, only for Jenson to sign for another year. I would take anything he says with a large pinch of salt.

I've seen it quoted in two or three places, but yeah it may have originated there. It's unconfirmed anyway. I guess we have to wait and see in this one.

So its two rookies at Manor Racing which makes it fascinating because I think if Ryo actually shows some of his Gp2 form from last season it could make interesting reading for Werhlein who is groomed by Mercedes for potentially a drive in the main team.

A seasoned GP2 campaigner vs a DTM champion so a chance to see which is the better series to develop drivers into F1

Manor are now being listed as MRT Mercedes - Manor Racing ???? Tossers? Tuppence? To the back?....

I don't know if they missed the deadline to choose and got the default tyres, but they have a lot more medium tyres than anyone else.

Maybe we'll see them running a long way in Oz.

Back
Top Bottom