Grand Prix 2020 Austrian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Predict the World champion (changed your mind)

• Hamilton

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Bottas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vettel

• Leclerc

• Verstappen

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Albon

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
But do you at least agree that the blow was from Albon, not Hamilton?
It is also clear that Hamilton did not move the steering wheel in the direction of Albon.
For comparison, there were examples in this race.
By the way, Vettel collided with Sainz during the restart.
And Sainz didn't get any punishments.
So why was there a racing incident with Vettel Vs Sainz but Albon Vs Hamilton didn't?
i would the did nothing for vettel because there no point the guilty party had already punished himself more than the stewards every could. no point to 5 sec pen when he already had the equilvant of a drive through penalty

Albon is ahead as shown on the picture obviously cant see his rear tyres only lewis can, so just assumes he will be given room & im sure 1st albon realises he's collided is when he goes bang

olegg

Race Winner
Interesting proof of Hamilton's guilt: he was hitted, but it's still his fault... :))))
But it is even more fun to look at the ratings that are put to the drivers by experts
on the official website for the results of the race

N​
Driver​
Throttle​
Steering​
Braking​
Cornering​
Aggression​
SUM​
TOTAL​
Ranking​
4​
Hamilton
1,50​
10,00​
8,20​
5,40​
5,40​
30,50​
6,10​
7​
13​
Albon
4,60​
4,80​
5,60​
1,00​
1,00​
17,00​
3,40​
18​

olegg

Race Winner
But the most funny thing is that Albon was given the "Driver of the day" according to the results of the vote

The Artist.....

Champion Elect
i would the did nothing for vettel because there no point the guilty party had already punished himself more than the stewards every could. no point to 5 sec pen when he already had the equilvant of a drive through penalty

Albon is ahead as shown on the picture obviously cant see his rear tyres only lewis can, so just assumes he will be given room & im sure 1st albon realises he's collided is when he goes bang
I think that if Vettel had sent Sainz into a spin, then Vettel would have got a penalty (Vettel can't stop spinning though!)

olegg

Race Winner
Here is a well described situation with the incident Hamilton Vs Albon
Martin Brundle's F1 verdict:
Albon was on fresh soft tyres and Hamilton on well-used hard tyres. Albon could smell victory let alone a podium with only two Mercs in front of him on harder tyres and ailing gearboxes.
Albon felt he had to get the passes done while he had a big tyre advantage and lunged around the outside of T4. Hamilton was ahead on the way in, he had fended off the Red Bull for now, which then flashed quickly past on the outside.
Hamilton did not open his steering wheel, but on throttle application he understeered wide on the off-camber downhill corner, and around went the Red Bull. It was a relatively high-risk manoeuvre from Albon, especially given Hamilton was bound to be grip limited.
Some patience would have yielded a better opportunity on a straight with DRS assistance, but Albon is a racer and he wanted after Bottas and glory, if his car kept going. Lewis attracted a five-second penalty which was fair enough, and suddenly opened the door to Leclerc, Perez and Norris for a podium.

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Contributor
All this is giving us something to talk about olegg , we all have our own viewpoints which is as it should be.

Firstly the safety car, here I agree with you Mercedes could not pit because they were past the pit lane opening and at the very least Hamilton would probably have been behind behind more cars than Bottas because of the stacking. Now that would have had people going!

RasputinLives

Leave me alone I'm on Smoko
Contributor
I also agree with Merc not pulling team orders to let Hamilton through past Bottas and take the chequered flag yesterday. Now that would have had people going on here!

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff Member
Premium Contributor
I still don't get some of it to be honest. Earlier in the race Hamilton attempted to pass Albon around the outside, Albon ran wide and forced Hamilton to back out of it.

Later in the race its the reverse situation but Albon appeared to have a bit more space to his left but held his line around the outside and he banged into Hamilton.

It would appear odd that if you run wide and force someone off track and make them back out then no problem but if they hit you it's a penalty to you.

Webber and Coulthard agreed on the BBC that it was a racing incident and thst most likely the penalty was because Albon had fell so far back. 50/50 incident but not 50/50 consequences.

Seems like an odd way to make a decision.

At least it worked out brilliantly for Lando.

Also don't get me started on the number of times cars went all 4 wheels over the white line.

>:(

Il_leone

Champion Elect
The comments from Christian Horner are utter Red Bull:censored: about Hamilton's defensive driving. Verstappen has done worse and so has Schumacher in forcing drivers to take to the grass or wall. Had Verstappen been punished he would have been crying about that stewards are interfering and deny good old fashion racing or they have it in for Max. Shall we start a Red Bull conspiracy that the stewards will boot lick to their needs because it's their home race

Il_leone

Champion Elect
RasputinLives Imagine if the team orders to let Lewis past resulted in the points difference becoming world champion at the end. It is a sign of weakness had Bottas yielded

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
olegg im glad we have different points it would be boring if we all agreed.

i dont think Hamilton should apologise as it wasnt deliberate & had no malice. that is horner with for some reason an issue, i think toto wolff ran over his dog in break. can be only reason for the grudge but it cost albon a victory & Hamilton cant been seen to get off scot free

olegg

Race Winner
By the way, another notable point.
Albon was ahead of Perez on lap 59 when the safety car was.
And Albon remained ahead of Perez and behind Hamilton until the race restart on lap 60.
It is strange that this moment did not confuse the judges and Albon was not punished.

The Artist.....

Champion Elect
Albon was ahead of Perez when the Safety Car was called but Perez went past him. Red Bull contacted the FIA on a ruling, Perez slowed down and let him past. Nothing to be confused about.
It was cigarette paper gap between the two! Had the safety car been called a second earlier, Albon would have been behind.

RasputinLives

Contributor
Yeah there was no fault from anyone because it was impossible to do. Was the right thing for the FIA to make the call which they did. Sensible stuff.

olegg

Race Winner
Albon was ahead of Perez when the Safety Car was called but Perez went past him. Red Bull contacted the FIA on a ruling, Perez slowed down and let him past. Nothing to be confused about.
And what does it matter who was behind who before the appearance of the safety car,
if both drivers was on the pit stop and Perez was served faster than Albon?

RasputinLives

Contributor
I think you might need to go rewatch olegg. Perez was in front of Albon after pitstops on restart. Albon overtook Perez off that restart just as the next safety car was called. Perez went back in front as that safety car was called before stewards ruled Albon had been in front.

Top Bottom