Le Mans Le Mans and the WEC

Webber has already completed more laps now than the seventh-placed car will be able to manage, so Audi's options are for a catastrophic failure on his car, or for the leader to drop behind the #7

Heart stopping moment for Webber coming out from the last splash and dash. Will it fire up, won't it fire up...

Well that came from left field, a 3 minute stop-go for Audi No.8 for putting the wrong tyres on.

The least likely thing to happen all weekend. Really hope Conway can hold on to 3rd, give Alex Wurz a podium in his last race.

Congrats to Bernhard, Webber and Hartley - World Champions! Great race, as they have been all season. Looking forward to seeing what Toyota come up with for 2016 and how Audi respond to the move forward by Porsche.

The close of another great season in WEC. As a life-long Porsche fan, I can't help but be pleased with the outcome.

If Audi does, indeed, pull the plug on the racing program because of VWs emissions shenanigans, I will be more than a little upset. I am not sure that Toyota will be able to fill the gap that Audi would leave behind by withdrawing, so the effect on the best series in racing (IMO) could be huge.

I still think that, even if that is the case, the series will continue to be much closer and more entertaining than F1.

Last edited:
Audi's new challenger has been unveiled:

WEC news: Audi steps up to 6MJ hybrid class with 2016 R18 WEC racer

1448737678.jpg

1448737662.jpg

OMG!!! It's a fan car. Cool. I wonder how they'll get around the 'hoover stones and blast them at the car behind' effect?

Interesting that they don't state who will be their tyre supplier. I suspect that they will require unique tyres to withstand the greater downforce loads conferred by the fan system. Could it be that they have yet to find a manufacturer willing to foot such a large bill?

Congratulations to Toyota, Alonso, Buemi and Nakajima on winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans 2018.
Managing to defeat the only other car with a realistic chance of winning, another Toyota, rather puts the mockers on what should be a truly great victory as in previous years.
Sadly, should Alonso go on to win Indy, he will be feted as a successor to Graham Hill. The achievements are incomparable and I feel sorry for Alonso, unless he thinks it’s the same achievement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom