Le Mans Le Mans and the WEC

Webber/Hartley Bernhard 156
Lotterer/Fassler/Treluyer 143

Points are awarded as in f1: 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1 plus 0.5 for any classified finish 11th or below

The Porsche will triumph on countback in the event of a tie

We're not quite to that point yet but is there a chance if it looks as the 17 doesn't make it the 18 will slow right down towards the end of the race to gift what could be the crucial extra place the 17 needs?

EDIT ...and as I type that the commentator is now pondering precisely the same thing.

Last edited:
Yes, effectively the 17 needs to pass at least one of the Toyotas. Which are showing greatly improved pace this weekend. It'll be close - as long as nobody else hits trouble. Which they probably will.

So if a lap is around 100 seconds, and the Porsche is 2 1/2 laps down on the second Toyota, that's a gap of about 250 seconds to make up. I reckon there are about 116 laps still to run - about 200 the race distance - so the Porsche needs to average 2.2s/lap faster over the remaining distance (very roughly). It's fluctuating a lot with traffic, but I don't think Hartley is quite managing that. And of course a caution of any kind would change things - most likely help the Toyotas, depending on the exact timing.

OK, well, Audi need more trouble to hit the #18 for the championship to come back into the equation. Still there's a battle for the win to enjoy.

Strange, we' re being told that Webber has no hybrid power but it sounds as though you can still hear it kicking in on the onboard shots?.... Or is the sound coming from somewhere else?

I think they said the front axle recovery is broken. They'll still be recovering energy from the engine and deploying whatever's in the battery - presumably less than maximum.

Webber's lapping in the 1:48s - 1:49s and that's comfortably quicker than the LMP2 leaders he needs to stay clear of. All of which relies on his team mates winning the race in the other car however.

He's got 7 laps in hand on the seventh placed car he needs to stay ahead of. So he can afford to reboot every lap if he needs to, but he must keep going and avoid long stops in the pits for fixes. Not under his control of course.

Back
Top Bottom