Is Schumacher really slower than Rosberg?

Yoda is wrong there, a single lap often does make a race.
If it is in qualifying for the grid, yes indeed, particularly for the front row. However, now with KERS, DRS and dodgy tyres, I suggest it's no longer good enough on it's own. One still needs the pace in the race, as they say.

Han Solo Jenson Button and Lando Calrissian Lewis Hamilton must team up to defeat the emperor Adrian Newey and Darth Vader Sebastian Vettel!

Ummm, so who's father is Seb?

Back on topic, Schumacher was always great at working with a team, very able to deliver a quick lap to order and an exceptional racer. I think he may have lost a significant edge on his one lap timing, but I think his racing instinct and drive has a way to go before being considered even average. He old gentleman will improve as he settles in, not back to his peak, but I think he'll still be in the top 20% of full race F1 drivers. I have a lot of respect for Nico, but am not convinced he is in that same group.

If it is in qualifying for the grid, yes indeed, particularly for the front row. However, now with KERS, DRS and dodgy tyres, I suggest it's no longer good enough on it's own. One still needs the pace in the race, as they say.

I don't know, even in the race. What about the lap your opponent is in the pit lane...

Schumacher definitely needs to get quali sorted out tho, ok Spa was not his fault and a couple others have been technical such as DRS. But Schumacher is having to do much more and much better races just to equal Rosbergs results where as Rosberg, maybe he’s just a super qualifier I dunno, often out qualifying the cars abilities then unable to keep that pace during in the race. How many times has Rosberg finished in a higher position then he started this season? Once?

Schumacher needs to sort out qualifying, I think if he did Rosberg would be quite for behind the two in the WDC but I guess it just shows qualifying still does count for something.

Rosberg, maybe he’s just a super qualifier I dunno, often out qualifying the cars abilities then unable to keep that pace during in the race. How many times has Rosberg finished in a higher position then he started this season? Once?

Its DRS. Mercedes has a superb DRS system, so the car's potential is much higher in qualifying. Rosberg is reaching the car's potential, Schumacher isn't. It is somewhat inevitable, with DRS banned on raceday, Rosberg (amongst faster cars within the DRS zone) is going to fall back, while Schumi (amongst slower cars and with his DRS active) is going to go forward.

Nico's results last year do not show him falling back with any regularity.

No, not really, but Ross Brawn's strategies often relied on Schumi pulling off one great lap or a series of great laps around the pitstop window, which he invariably did.
Absolutely agree. What I'm trying to get at, I guess, is that with all of the variables drivers encounter it's the "complete driver" (I actually hate this term due to over-use) who, in theory, wins the weekend. The ability to convert a pole into a win was almost a given on days when overtaking had been a rarity, providing one had that ability to draw out that extra pace for "in lap", "out lap" or both, in the race.

If his "chopping" starts didn't do the job, Schumi was always able to make up for a bad start since he could call up those seriously hot laps almost at will. Now he's got to grips with the current formula it's up to the team to give him - and Rosberg - a consistently better car. Then we'll see if he can not only get the better of Rosberg but the rest of the competition as well.

The ability to convert a pole into a win was almost a given on days when overtaking had been a rarity, providing one had that ability to draw out that extra pace for "in lap", "out lap" or both, in the race.

In 2005, there were 10 (of 19) races won from pole in the year where overtaking was at a premium.
So far, in 2011, there have been 6 races won from pole.

Back
Top Bottom