Grand Prix 2023 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

After seven rounds and nearly a third of the season completed, it's finally time for the first race in Europe with the traditional Grand Prix European start on Sunday afternoon. & so welcome to the MSC Cruises Gran Premio del Made in Italy e dell'Emilia-Romagna, not the San Marino grand prix. its a very catchy title im sure youll agree. We are returning to the circuit after a hiatus caused by flooding, which led to its abandonment in 2023. Although F1 debuted only in 1980, it boasts a remarkable heritage, both positive and negative. Interestingly, it was the pandemic that revived Imola, as it was nearly relegated to being one of the historic circuits that F1 had forgotten, such as Nurburgring, Magny Cours, and Estoril.

1982 Villenueve & pironi battle for the lead. the Multi 21 of its time where Villenueve lead when team orders where imposed & he felt that pironi ignored & overtook him going to win the race. Gilles reportedly refused to speak to his team & was tragically killed 2 weeks later at zolder

1985 - arguably 1 of the most bonkers end to a grand prix F1 has seen, of the 11 drivers that were provisionally classified 6 of them ran out of Fuel. 2 of them lost the lead because that of that issue, Prost was disqualifed for being underweight for running out on the slow down lap & podium consisted of Elio de Angelis who won without ever leading, Boutsen who had to push his car across the line to finish second & Patrick Tambay who came third a lap down

1994 - the Darkest Weekend in F1 history, dont need to say much more

1999 - Hakkinen crashing out of a certain win at the final corner

2005 - the great battle where it was beginning of Old Guard v New Guard, Schumacher V alonso. & his defensive drive to hold off Schumacher to win, even if it more known in UK for the greatest battle we never saw, as ITV went to adverts with 3 laps to go

After Lando Norris brilliant Maiden victory in America & interesting fact who was the 1st driver that won their Maiden F1 Grand Prix on american soil. was Bruce Mclaren so it mustve be written in the stars. are we in for competitive year that we weren't expecting.

& also these are the times for the 1st european race & if your watching on sky sports F1 we have a change in commentary box as Crofty will miss his 1st race since i think the 2007 european gp where Marcus winklehock lead in a spyker in his only F1 outing

1715950568461.png

just watched it, the race was 5/10 some very nice battles down the field, but not thrilling & the final 8 laps were brilliant. i saw Norris going from 7 to 6 to 5 then to 4. thats when i thought gameon. & also whatever you dont go to adverts ;)

But as I've said, I don't mind Max winning if it's a real battle, and these last two races have made me the most optimistic about Formula 1 that I've been in two years. todays victory reminds me some of Hamiltons win 2017 - 2019. he outperformed what that car was capable of. but im just glad that Max has a competitior & you can go into a weekend with a IF not a When. 60pts is not insurmountable

Last edited:
The circuit is not the old Imola with the fast sweepers like the dangerous Tamburello then followed by Villeneuve corner which was an insane corner. Its become a bit of a Hungaroring where if you are stuck behind you are in a queue of cars.

I still think Lando needs to be stop being pally with Max because if that was Oscar he might have tried the outside on the run down after the start

Red Bull definitely being pushed now

On a sidenote

Alonso - what a rubbish weekend

Mercedes - team order where Russell had to make a stop and Hamilton will not give back the place .

My son very rudely interrupted my Sunday afternoon doze to tell me it was "getting exciting". It didn't.

But as I've said, I don't mind Max winning if it's a real battle

surely Norris hunting down Verstappen was great @FB

Unfortunately it wasn't a real battle though was it? We don't know how hard Verstappen was working within his car but Norris needed at least 2 more laps to effect an awesome push to pass DRS move. He didn't get within the magic one second barrier until less than halfway through the last lap. Also, Norris ran wide a couple of times in the last 5 laps which cost him the time he needed.

I grant you it did bring a flicker of excitement to the climax of the race but as the late, not so great Mr Murray Walker always said "catching is one thing, getting by is another"

There are at least some grains of hope that this season won't be a Red Bull walk over as last season was I suppose.

Dare we suggest that now that the effects of their extremely expensive catering have worn off and they are having to buy their food from Aldi like everyone else, Red Bull's dinners aren't quite so far ahead of everyone else's?

Back
Top Bottom