2014 driver line up market

I am more angry with the scenario with Hulkenberg because it seems like he can;t win either he is too tall or he does not have the money to get the top drives

I suppose its not as simple as, who brings sponsorship with them. Its really a question of who wouldn't be in F1 if it wasn't for the sponsorship they bring with them. Having sponsors doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't be there.

I light of some of the talent we have seen dropped because they have no money. Kovalenen and Kobayashi to name but 2. You have to say Massa has a point.

The ultimate disgrace will be if Hulkenberg ends up without a seat next year just because someone has truck load of cash and he doesn't.

Last edited:
I agree with you Greenlantern101 but some would say Massa might not have landed the Williams seat without his backing so he is a pay driver.

Esteban Guttierrez is often refered to as a pay driver but actually has no personal sponsors and brings no money to the Sauber team. Telmex Saubers team said they wanted a Mexican driver but did not specify it was Guttierrez. So does that make him a pay driver or not? As for the deserving thing Guttierrez is a GP3 champion and in time may have ended up a GP2 champion but took the chance to get into F1 when he could. Does that make him deserving or not?

Massa has been slinging mud at 'pay drivers' for a while now without defining what he means. There are no Phillipe Adams or Sakon Yamamoto's on the grid currently.

A sponsor that sponsors a team because a certain driver is driving there? If you are not counting that as a pay driver then with the exception of maybe Max Chilton there are no pay drivers on the grid.

Massa calls Chilton whore shocker!

Doesn't Santander pay for a large portion of Alonso's salary? Is he the ultimate pay driver? As for which drivers bring which sponsors to a team it would be a mammoth task to research it all, maybe something to do in the off season while waiting for testing.

Red Bull is different, they attract drivers to give them a chance at racing without them having to find additional funding. Hamilton was an academy driver along with Magnussen and Vandorne.

The academy drivers may get a slightly easier funding route to F1 but without any serious backing they will just disappear again unless they perform exceptionally well on track.

Sutil almost certainly has signed with FI according to Autosport which is a bit of a surprise. I wonder if this means they're keeping their current lineup.

I cannot help but think that there are a few drivers who are going to end up out in the cold this off season, there are too many drivers to fill not enough seats, and with Maldonado and Perez looking, DiResta and Hulkenberg may be disappointed.

Sutil? what a crock of shite.

Rumours that Marcus Erikson is being considered at Force India as well. I think he comes with backing.

If Perez is confidet then it will be the Telmex/Sauber connection which means curtains for Guttierrez which I think is a shame.

All this means that whichever of Maldo and Hulkenberg don't get the Enstone seat may not have a drive at all.

Back
Top Bottom