2014 driver line up market

Seems the rumours of a Force India move were correct which is yet another sideways move for the Hulk.

I guess Enstone have decided there is no point have two top drivers if you don't have the cash to pay them or keep the car competitive so have opted for Maldonado. As he is a race winner and a GP2 champion I guess they see it as better than a Max Chilton deal.

Grosjean's rise to potential super star in this second half of the season could be what robbed Hulk of the seat really. Enstone know him and see what he can do so he is less of a gamble as team leader than Nico.

I'd say WCC points are all that matters for teams that can't win the WDC, and, similarly, beating their team mate, along with wins and podiums I guess, is probably more important than anything else for drivers that can't realistically win the WDC (rather finish 6th in the WDC and ahead of their team mate instead of 4th and behind them).

Realistically Lotus aren't going to win championships and really that means it's not an advantage to have a clear team leader I think. It's an advantage rather than a gamble to have drivers that are taking points each other, assuming they're both getting the most out of the car and not fighting/getting in to collisions with each other.

The only reason Lotus would take Maldonado ahead of Hulkenberg is money with maybe a slight element of weight/height coming in to it. You can say that Maldonado is a race winner so has talent, but apart from a few promising signs towards the end of 2012 he really hasn't done much to help his reputation.

I'm a little confused about Maldo's situation, if he says he knows where he is driving but just waiting for Lotus. Does this mean he could be in a similar situation to Perez? Has he signed a contract with the black and gold team but just waiting for them to sign their part?

After his bone-headed move, running into Sutil, I would think that any team would harbor serious doubt about the abilities, both mental and physical of Maldonado. He has been spectacularly unimpressive all year IMHO and at best deserves a seat only at the like of Marussia.

I hope Lotus do their damnedest to get Hulkenberg or if they need money and Perez has some backing then go with him given he's shown some strong measured performances of late.

Surely any money Maldonado brings in will be eaten up repairing the car, losing places in the constructors and fines.

As far as I can see

you;ve got Perez with supposed backing with the richest man in the world

Maldonado who still has his oil company backing

Sutil who usually comes with sponsors

Sirotkin who comes with Russian backing

Max Chilton supposedly with backing from his rich dad

against better racers but with no money

Hulkenberg

Di Resta

I'd be disgusted if Lotus decided on Maldonado over Hulkenberg

Di Resta I think could be squeezed out of F1 with both Sauber and Force India preferring drivers with money

I use to think that Alonso had a big neck.

Paul-di-Resta-of-Force-In-011.jpg

2014 is pretty much last chance saloon for Marussia and Caterham. If they don't significantly close the gap I'm not sure they ever will, short of a big financial injection.

apparently there is a shortfall (debt) in Lotus' budget for 2014 of $40m and obviously Maldonado apparently has $30m because Genii Capital won;t cough up the money and "can't afford" Hulkenberg>:(:bangfists::givemestrength:

Di Resta should not do Indycar - something about British drivers being jinxed recently is a concern with his cousin and Dan Wheldon !

Paul has admitted its out of his hands - really he will need some performance in Brazil and that may not be enough - I knew Farce India had a bunch of shady owners

I don't think Di Resta can have mucg complaint if he loses his seat as he's never really shown us much to say he can mix it with the big boys and he's hardly done much to endear himself to the team.

I have a funny feeling that thanks to the influence of Nicholas Todt we could see James Caledo in an FI seat next year.

Back
Top Bottom